Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Have You Convinced Someone to Switch to a Nexus 5?

Have you convinced your friends to switch from whatever phone they were using to a Nexus 5? If so, what did you say that convinced them? Also, what was the phone that your friends were using before they got a Nexus 5?

Default Re: Have You Convinced Someone to Switch to a Nexus 5?

No, I don't want anyone in on my little secret......
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Thanked by:
    neonworm and mrsmumbles like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Have you convinced your friends to switch from whatever phone they were using to a Nexus 5? If so, what did you say that convinced them? Also, what was the phone that your friends were using before they got a Nexus 5?
    I convinced myself and that was a big step for me after being a diehard iPhone fan for 6 years. I wasn't interested in Android phones until Nexus 5. The price, build quality, screen, performance, LTE and stock Android were my main reasons.

I wouldn't have given Android a chance if the price was high. At $349, it made it reachable for me and worst case scenario, I pass it to one of my kids. Luckily, I didn't have to do that she is using my iPhone 5 now and I'm happy with the Nexus 5.

I also wanted a stock Android device and I am really happy with the build quality and performance of the N5. I looked into the N4 but availability was low and it didn't have LTE so I ended up skipping it.

I also wanted something that I can customize and tweak and Android allows me to do that where as the iPhone is lot more locked down. I like how I can change default apps and install widgets. I can create my own customized phone that is different from everyone else's.

I also got tired of waiting for Apple to release a larger screen and wanted a 5" as I do a lot of reading and browsing on my phone.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

3 of my friends and my girlfriend

No convincing involved. But, I, my wife, my son, his wife, and my mother-in-law now each own Nexus 5s. We're still stuck in our AT&T contract, but all the others are now doing pay-as-you-go (sans contract) with T-Mobile BYOD.
    Go Ogle likes this.

Yep - once my mom's husband saw my N5, he was intrigued and hooked. Lucky for him, he was able to dump his company issued iPhone 5 and have them foot the bill for the nexus. He too had been a user of iPhone since the 3g model. I've owned 4 different models of the iPhone, but this is my first high end Android phone. The experience is so much better now than it was on my old HTC one v.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky19 View Post
    I convinced myself and that was a big step for me after being a diehard iPhone fan for 6 years. I wasn't interested in Android phones until Nexus 5. The price, build quality, screen, performance, LTE and stock Android were my main reasons.

I wouldn't have given Android a chance if the price was high. At $349, it made it reachable for me and worst case scenario, I pass it to one of my kids. Luckily, I didn't have to do that she is using my iPhone 5 now and I'm happy with the Nexus 5.
    When you were an iPhone user, did you buy a lot of apps? The reason why I ask is because I get the impression that many iPhone users invest a lot of money in iPhone apps, and they don't want to buy the same apps again if they switch to Android. iMessage is another significant hurdle. Some people can't live without iMessage, so they never switch. Did you ever use iMessage much?

The $349 price is a definite selling point, and I think most people picked up a Nexus 5 because of the price. Would you have switched sooner if Google advertised the price more?

No I want to be unique

Posted via Android Central App

When you were an iPhone user, did you buy a lot of apps? The reason why I ask is because I get the impression that many iPhone users invest a lot of money in iPhone apps, and they don't want to buy the same apps again if they switch to Android. iMessage is another significant hurdle. Some people can't live without iMessage, so they never switch. Did you ever use iMessage much?

The $349 price is a definite selling point, and I think most people picked up a Nexus 5 because of the price. Would you have switched sooner if Google advertised the price more?
    I do have many paid apps but we also have multiple iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches in the household so they are not wasted. I am now slowly trying new apps but only 15 to 20% of those are paid on Android. I definitely bought more apps on iOS. I used iMessage a lot with my family and friends but they also have unlimited texting so it hasn't been too bad.

I don't think I would have given Android a shot if the price was higher. I also like the idea of trying out more phones if they keep the price low and I can't do that at the Apple price point. In Canada, the contracts are 3 years or you have to go on very expensive tabs and iPhone is quite the investment. To be honest, I don't know if I would have switched if Apple had a 5" iPhone but now I'm glad that I got to try the N5. I am having lots of fun customizing it left and right :-)

That's the best part of android making your phone truly your phone.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)
    ladyc0524 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgewaterDude View Post
    Yep - once my mom's husband saw my N5, he was intrigued and hooked. Lucky for him, he was able to dump his company issued iPhone 5 and have them foot the bill for the nexus. He too had been a user of iPhone since the 3g model. I've owned 4 different models of the iPhone, but this is my first high end Android phone. The experience is so much better now than it was on my old HTC one v.
    I use my iPhone 5S almost like a nexus device if that makes any sense. The iPhone App Store has all of the Google apps that I used on my Nexus. They look and work great. Now with the control center and notification shade, iOS is very much like Android. I didn't really do widgets or much customization with my Nexus so I'm not missing anything there. So iphone users don't really have to switch to get a good Google experience on their phones. Just download all of the Google apps and the experience will be close.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Just yesterday. Convinced him to switch to T-Mobile too.

He had a galaxy nexus, so it was an easy sell.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I use my iPhone 5S almost like a nexus device if that makes any sense. The iPhone App Store has all of the Google apps that I used on my Nexus. They look and work great. Now with the control center and notification shade, iOS is very much like Android.
    Except for one critical part: No 3rd party app integration. Those google apps will never be your default on iOS.

Of all the complaints I've had of iOS, that is the biggest one, and that is the least likely to change. I might be able to live without Widgets, but I have gotten very used to 3rd party app integration.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Except for one critical part: No 3rd party app integration. Those google apps will never be your default on iOS.

Of all the complaints I've had of iOS, that is the biggest one, and that is the least likely to change. I might be able to live without Widgets, but I have gotten very used to 3rd party app integration.
    When you say 3rd party integration, what are you referring to?

ROM

When you say 3rd party integration, what are you referring to?
    Being able to make any browser your default, so when you click on a link, that browser (chrome, firefox, dolphin, whatever) immediately launches. The same with Music or photos or email or whatever.

Android does this for anything (Maps, Browser, email, IM, photos, Music, ect...). On Apple devices, Apple apps are always the default for anything. You cannot make a 3rd party app the default. Apple likes it this way and will probably never change it. You can launch any app you want, but it won't launch automatically as the default. If you click a link in an email, it will open it using Safari, not Chrome.

That is true. And that is definitely a limitation of iOS. But every operating system has some sort limitation.

That is true. And that is definitely a limitation of iOS. But every operating system has some sort limitation.

Thats the beauty of android u have to work real hard to find a limitation. The new age androids are starting to make carrying a laptop an extra choir. And I'm far from a fanboy having used every mainstream os including nokias and the webos. I actually liked webos and android is the closest to it imo.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)
    Zee

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

My brother in law came from an iPhone 4S and I got him to switch to Nexus 5 after he saw mine and got to try it for a bit. Also my sister got a Nexus 5, although she didn't have a smartphone previously. They are both happy now.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member
    Zee

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

I use my iPhone 5S almost like a nexus device if that makes any sense. The iPhone App Store has all of the Google apps that I used on my Nexus. They look and work great. Now with the control center and notification shade, iOS is very much like Android. I didn't really do widgets or much customization with my Nexus so I'm not missing anything there. So iphone users don't really have to switch to get a good Google experience on their phones. Just download all of the Google apps and the experience will be close.

The problem with Apple and iOS is, they introduce features but it has to be used "their way". You can't customize your notification shade right? Let's say you don't want or care about a shortcut to a flashlight, can you remove it and use something else? This is a major benefit of Android, you can setup your phone in any way you like (and without jailbreaking/rooting)
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mzanette View Post
    The problem with Apple and iOS is, they introduce features but it has to be used "their way". You can't customize your notification shade right? Let's say you don't want or care about a shortcut to a flashlight, can you remove it and use something else? This is a major benefit of Android, you can setup your phone in any way you like (and without jailbreaking/rooting)
    Agreed, it's a benefit for those of us who like to tweak their phones, which are typically the people who use these forums. We are the minority, however, although our numbers are growing. For me, android is the ticket for smartphones, and Macs are my computer of choice.

Apple makes great products, and are built around a particular consumer. I've used both Macs and PCs extensively since 1984, and there are benefits to both. I remember the days when Macs were cool to own, when they were the underdog and struggling financially. They became what they are by sticking with a vision and making top-notch quality products. I suspect without the Apple vision over the years, we wouldn't be seeing the products we're using today. Lord help us if we had to rely on Microsoft to drive the innovation!

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    Agreed, it's a benefit for those of us who like to tweak their phones, which are typically the people who use these forums. We are the minority, however, although our numbers are growing.
    I disagree. Even within the US, most people have Android phones. Outside of the US, almost everyone has Android phones.

You could say "well thats only because Android is cheap or ubiquitous"...but similar arguments could be made for iOS; "People only buy iOS for the image". The best selling Android phones are in the exact same price ranges as iOS phones, and some of them are even more expensive.

Agreed, it's a benefit for those of us who like to tweak their phones, which are typically the people who use these forums. We are the minority, however, although our numbers are growing. For me, android is the ticket for smartphones, and Macs are my computer of choice.

Apple makes great products, and are built around a particular consumer. I've used both Macs and PCs extensively since 1984, and there are benefits to both. I remember the days when Macs were cool to own, when they were the underdog and struggling financially. They became what they are by sticking with a vision and making top-notch quality products. I suspect without the Apple vision over the years, we wouldn't be seeing the products we're using today. Lord help us if we had to rely on Microsoft to drive the innovation!
    I believe that iOS has pushed Android for better products but Android has also pushed iOS to improve their products. Competition is always good for the consumers in price, quality, variety and features. Android is dominating market share of the world's mobile market. Still Apple is making the most money in phone/tablet sales. Apple's one size fits all phone that still looks too much like their 2007 model has too little variety. Android has like 30 something companies making Android phones that gives great variety but only Samsung seems to be making a lot of money in the Android world making phones. I found this quote from the linked story below that shows how much Android is taking 80% the world's market share.

"Android’s share of the mobile phone market topped 80 percent of units shipped for the first time since IDC began tracking the Google-created operating system, the research firm said in its release of its most recent quarterly figures. Apple, by contrast, captured just under 13 percent of the market. "

Last edited by Shilohcane; 12-20-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Gwaron 

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I disagree. Even within the US, most people have Android phones. Outside of the US, almost everyone has Android phones.

You could say "well thats only because Android is cheap or ubiquitous"...but similar arguments could be made for iOS; "People only buy iOS for the image". The best selling Android phones are in the exact same price ranges as iOS phones, and some of them are even more expensive.
    You may have misinterpreted what I said. I meant that those of us that follow the forums and like to tweak our phones are in the minority. Most people I meet on a daily basis just keep their phones stock, except for a few apps.

Although I've owned Apple phones in the past, I'm a die hard Android user now.
    Thanked by:
    Robbie317 likes this.

You may have misinterpreted what I said. I meant that those of us that follow the forums and like to tweak our phones are in the minority. Most people I meet on a daily basis just keep their phones stock, except for a few apps.

Although I've owned Apple phones in the past, I'm a die hard Android user now.
    I picked up on your statement that you were talking only about people that like to tweak our phones are in the minority not the US smartphone market share. Android has 52% of the US Market share and Apple has about 40%. Fact is if Apple loses their edge in the USA to Android they are going to be in real trouble since the USA is their largest market.

I can barely explain to my friends what a Nexus device is before they start telling me why i should switch to iOS already. Android has been stained into their brains as second place to the iPhone. But I did have people mention that the Android device I use (Nexus 4/5) are way better than the Android phones they experience (of course) and have commented on how two phones are similar, response-wise with the only difference being apps and size obviously.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast