Nexus 5 Camera - Improved with 4.4.2

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 5 for 3 weeks now and it would be a fantastic phone if it wasn't for the excuse of a camera. When I say it's terrible it's an understatement, it's bloody awful.

I came to the Nexus via other Androids, iPhones and Nokia Lumia. I think it's the Lumia 1020 that has ruined the Nexus for me. When I compare photos I took on it to the noisy, blurry, under exposed rubbish that the Nexus takes it makes me want to throw it in the bin. It's so slow to focus that it's almost unbelievable. What the hell are Google playing at?

The price argument doesn't cut it as lower end Lumias outclass the Nexus. It's a real shame because this ruins what would otherwise be an excellent phone.

Last edited:

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Camera - Terrible

I've had my Nexus 5 for 3 weeks now and it would be a fantastic phone if it wasn't for the excuse of a camera. When I say it's terrible it's an understatement, it's bloody awful.

I came to the Nexus via other Androids, iPhones and Nokia Lumia. I think it's the Lumia 1020 that has ruined the Nexus for me. When I compare photos I took on it to the noisy, blurry, under exposed rubbish that the Nexus takes it makes me want to throw it in the bin. It's so slow to focus that it's almost unbelievable. What the hell are Google playing at?

The price argument doesn't cut it as lower end Lumias outclass the Nexus. It's a real shame because this ruins what would otherwise be an excellent phone.

It is a balancing act and each manufacturer has to decide where they want to focus their energy and resource. Nokia may have a really great camera but the N5 might excel in areas where the Nokia lags. We also expect quite a bit from a phone's camera today than we did 2 years ago.

My iPhone 5 took better photos than the N5 but the N5 does many things better than the iPhone 5. I like to look at something as a whole package and the N5 is a great phone package.

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

It is a balancing act and each manufacturer has to decide where they want to focus their energy and resource. Nokia may have a really great camera but the N5 might excel in areas where the Nokia lags. We also expect quite a bit from a phone's camera today than we did 2 years ago.

My iPhone 5 took better photos than the N5 but the N5 does many things better than the iPhone 5. I like to look at something as a whole package and the N5 is a great phone package.

I accept that it is a balance of course. One of the most important things many of us do with our phone cameras is snap photos of our kids. With the N5 this just isn't possible. It takes an age to focus and the shoot is invariably missed. On the is occasion where is does get the shoot (usually outdoors in good light) it's barely worth keeping.

Google made a big deal about the supposedly improved camera on the N5, so they were apparently focusing on this aspect of the phone.

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I accept that it is a balance of course. One of the most important things many of us do with our phone cameras is snap photos of our kids. With the N5 this just isn't possible. It takes an age to focus and the shoot is invariably missed. On the is occasion where is does get the shoot (usually outdoors in good light) it's barely worth keeping.

Google made a big deal about the supposedly improved camera on the N5, so they were apparently focusing on this aspect of the phone.

Do you have the 4.4.2 update? It does improve the camera. Won't make it Nokia quality but still an improvement.

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

I can't express an opinion without being a troll?

Looking at photos I took off my daughter tonight prompted this thread. I'm sure others have similar experiences with this camera.

This is a forum, go look up what that means in a dictionary.

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Have you looked at the photos posted in the stickied thread at the top of this forum?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/328731-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts.html

We came from Nokia Lumia 920s. The shutter speed is slower on the Nexus 5, but outside of that, we're very pleased with the photos it takes.

I have indeed. The shots that matter most to me are of my family, spur of the moment spots grabbed with no planning. Outdoors in good light the N5 ca take acceptable shots of buildings and stationary objects, that's about it really. Once the subject is moving forget about a good photo. Anyone planning to use their phone as the main method of taking precious family snapshots can only be disappointed.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

The update has done wonders for the camera. Wait until you get 4.4.2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

The update has done wonders for the camera. Wait until you get 4.4.2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah, I hope there's improvement in the focus/shutter speed. This was a bit of a rant from me I admit, I was very pissed at having to delete several blurry photos.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I have indeed. The shots that matter most to me are of my family, spur of the moment spots grabbed with no planning. Outdoors in good light the N5 ca take acceptable shots of buildings and stationary objects, that's about it really. Once the subject is moving forget about a good photo. Anyone planning to use their phone as the main method of taking precious family snapshots can only be disappointed.

I'm less inclined to believe this ever since I saw a beautiful photo in the n5 photos thread of a poster's dog in mid jump, even before the 4.4.2 update. The clarity was remarkable. And in the nature shots, the flora are beautifully clear, no blur from wind, likewise the shots of lakes and such, and water is always in motion. I haven't seen one blurry picture, so I do believe these posts about the crappy camera are nonsense. Yes the shutter may be slow enough before the update that you might miss a child's fleeting funny antic in that split second, but the update fixes it by all accounts.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm less inclined to believe this ever since I saw a beautiful photo in the n5 photos thread of a poster's dog in mid jump, even before the 4.4.2 update. The clarity was remarkable. And in the nature shots, the flora are beautifully clear, no blur from wind, likewise the shots of lakes and such, and water is always in motion. I haven't seen one blurry picture, so I do believe these posts about the crappy camera are nonsense. Yes the shutter may be slow enough before the update that you might miss a child's fleeting funny antic in that split second, but the update fixes it by all accounts.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Have you used a Nexus 5?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I hope there's improvement in the focus/shutter speed. This was a bit of a rant from me I admit, I was very pissed at having to delete several blurry photos.

Watch this since since I just got 4.4.2 I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Watch this since since I just got 4.4.2 I haven't had a chance to test it yet.]

Now that's more like it. The focus speed seems much improved and the tones seem more accurate. Thanks for posting this.

A software fix rather than a hardware problem then.

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

The price argument doesn't cut it as lower end Lumias outclass the Nexus

Why not? Do the lower end Lumias outclass the Nexus in everything, or just the camera part? If those moments are precious to you, then don't skim. Spend another $350 or whatever and get a good camera with a phone attached to it.

I can't wait till Motorola comes out with the modular phone, so I can "un-select" the camera off my phone.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I had a Lumia 1020 and it did take good pictures but it was a brick in the pocket and about all you can do is take pictures because the app store is not quite ready for prime time. I then thought about the 925 for the camera and it only comes in 16GB so no dice for me. The improvements in the Nexus 5 camera are fine for my smartphone camera thank you!

Now if Nokia ever wants to get into the full blown Android business, we will talk again because their quality and camera are first rate...OS...not so much. At least try the Nexus on 4.4.2.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01