1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Nexus 5 - Stock Mail App empties inbox daily ??

Hi,

New to 4.4 (just upgraded from 2.1)
    Got a query with the stock email app - about once a day, when it does a sync to my POP account, it deletes all the emails that are currently in my inbox! This is really irritating, but I can't find any settings to control it. I'm wondering if it's because the emails are no longer on the server as they will have been downloaded by my PC client by that point, but I do NOT want the copies on the phone deleted! This behaviour seems retarded at best.

or am I just missing something?

Ironically, stuff in the recycle bin in the App seems to last forever!

Default Re: Google Nexus 5 - Stock Mail App empties inbox daily ??

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Hughes View Post
    or am I just missing something?
    Yeah, that's common behavior of POP account. Why bother with POP account these days. They are not good for anything related to mobile and sync.

Normally, a POP client should have an option to choose whether to leave the downloaded mail on server or delete it. I don't use any POP account, so can't say if there is such option or not in stock email client. Typically, the default behavior is to delete it after download it because there is no sync feature on POP accounts. If mails are not deleted from the server, it is very hard for mail client to determine which piece of mail is already downloaded or not without re-download them again to compare to local copy. That means wasted data usage and battery juicy. And the fact there is no push notification, your phone will have to check mail box at pre-configured interval even if there is no new mail. So, even more data usage and battery wasted.