1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can Someone Explain These Settings for Me?

Dabbing my feet in android for the billionth time.

One of the reasons why I always switch back to the iPhone is because the sheer number of settings frankly gives me a headache.

Instead of running back to the iphone, im going to try to give it a legit chance and learn some of these settings.

My first question is, what is the relationship between google and picasa? It seems all my google+ (which I hate btw) photos are hosted on picasa. Is picasa used by google to host everybody's images? Also, when I go to the actual "Picasa web albums" theres a folder called "instant upload." No matter how many times I try to delete it, it just doesn't go away. Alsoooo, it allowed me to choose my visibility on my albums. As I test, I chose "public" for one of the folders that are from a hangouts conversation and even though the "saved" pop up came up. When i clicked on it again, it changed back to "only you."

On the phone side, can someone explain what exactly are the difference in sync options of "google photos", "google +", and "google+ photos"? They all seem somewhat redundant.

Side rant: I absolutely despise how android handles contacts. I don't understand why I can't edit contacts from the "phone" app instead they force me to go to the "contacts" app.

Default Re: Can Someone Explain These Settings for Me?

Quote Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
    Dabbing my feet in android for the billionth time.

One of the reasons why I always switch back to the iPhone is because the sheer number of settings frankly gives me a headache.

Instead of running back to the iphone, im going to try to give it a legit chance and learn some of these settings.

My first question is, what is the relationship between google and picasa? It seems all my google+ (which I hate btw) photos are hosted on picasa. Is picasa used by google to host everybody's images? Also, when I go to the actual "Picasa web albums" theres a folder called "instant upload." No matter how many times I try to delete it, it just doesn't go away. Alsoooo, it allowed me to choose my visibility on my albums. As I test, I chose "public" for one of the folders that are from a hangouts conversation and even though the "saved" pop up came up. When i clicked on it again, it changed back to "only you."

On the phone side, can someone explain what exactly are the difference in sync options of "google photos", "google +", and "google+ photos"? They all seem somewhat redundant.

Side rant: I absolutely despise how android handles contacts. I don't understand why I can't edit contacts from the "phone" app instead they force me to go to the "contacts" app.
    "Picasa" I don't believe really exists anymore, at least not by that name. That service has now been merged into Google+ photos. (I believe the "Picasa" desktop application still exists?, but it's all just the same service).

I'm honestly not sure why they put the "Google+" moniker on their photos service, since the name seems to turn a lot of folks off (even those folks that no issue with Facebook's incorporation of similar services), when all it really is Google's online photo storage/sharing service, and doesn't necessarily have to any link to the social networking aspect of Google+. Think of "picasa" and "Google photos" as legacy names for services that have all now been included in the Google+ photos service.

To be honest (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), as far as syncing goes, I don't think there is a difference between "Google photos" and "Google+ photos", at least not since they've merged them together. The "Google +" sync option is for the social networking aspect of Google+, i.e. the feeds you subscribe to from contacts in your circles (if you have any)...this is independent of the photos service.

"Instant Upload" is an album that is automatically created which you can use to automatically sync the pics you take with your phone up to the cloud. You can't delete it, but you can choose to not use the service if you don't want to.

Some of the albums created by the system can't be made public. These include the "instant upload" album, as well as the albums created from Hangouts threads. This is by design (some folks might not like the fact that the pics they send you are instantly made public). If you have photos you want to share publicly, you'll need to create a public album and add pics to it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    "Picasa" I don't believe really exists anymore, at least not by that name. That service has now been merged into Google+ photos. (I believe the "Picasa" desktop application still exists?, but it's all just the same service).

I'm honestly not sure why they put the "Google+" moniker on their photos service, since the name seems to turn a lot of folks off (even those folks that no issue with Facebook's incorporation of similar services), when all it really is Google's online photo storage/sharing service, and doesn't necessarily have to any link to the social networking aspect of Google+. Think of "picasa" and "Google photos" as legacy names for services that have all now been included in the Google+ photos service.

To be honest (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), as far as syncing goes, I don't think there is a difference between "Google photos" and "Google+ photos", at least not since they've merged them together. The "Google +" sync option is for the social networking aspect of Google+, i.e. the feeds you subscribe to from contacts in your circles (if you have any)...this is independent of the photos service.

"Instant Upload" is an album that is automatically created which you can use to automatically sync the pics you take with your phone up to the cloud. You can't delete it, but you can choose to not use the service if you don't want to.

Some of the albums created by the system can't be made public. These include the "instant upload" album, as well as the albums created from Hangouts threads. This is by design (some folks might not like the fact that the pics they send you are instantly made public). If you have photos you want to share publicly, you'll need to create a public album and add pics to it.
    Thanks for the reply. The reason why I asked about picasa is because Im the type of person that needs to know why it happens. If i don't understand whats going on, then it'll bug me till no end hah.

With that being said, why can picasa still be accessed via the web, albeit in a workaround method? It makes it confusing because I don't understand why exactly picasa is still active if picasa and google+ merged into one. The Google+ setting makes sense, it syncs feeds etc etc. But i'm still a bit confused on the difference between "google photos" and "google+ photos." If they are the same, what happens if i uncheck one of the two? Im curious on what specifically happens for each one. Im sure I can just check myself by unchecking and blindly poking around but I wanted to know the "book" type answer.

Isn't instant upload the service when they back up the photos to the "photos" app (the one with the pinwheel icon)?

My head hurts.

Instant upload is a way to backup all the photos that you take with your device. I believe it also uploads screenshots too (not sure about this one). I have it on because it has saved me a few times when I had to factory image my phone and lost all the photos. I also use dropbox and copy to backup my photos.

As for Gallery and Photos it seems the Photos app will eventually replace the Gallery app.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Wait, so if I uncheck google+ photos, I can't auto upload anymore?

FSKLD:NSNGJKDF. WHAT IS THIS MUMBO JUMBO.

Thanks for the reply. The reason why I asked about picasa is because Im the type of person that needs to know why it happens. If i don't understand whats going on, then it'll bug me till no end hah.

With that being said, why can picasa still be accessed via the web, albeit in a workaround method? It makes it confusing because I don't understand why exactly picasa is still active if picasa and google+ merged into one. The Google+ setting makes sense, it syncs feeds etc etc. But i'm still a bit confused on the difference between "google photos" and "google+ photos." If they are the same, what happens if i uncheck one of the two? Im curious on what specifically happens for each one. Im sure I can just check myself by unchecking and blindly poking around but I wanted to know the "book" type answer.

Isn't instant upload the service when they back up the photos to the "photos" app (the one with the pinwheel icon)?

My head hurts.
    "Picasa" does still exist as a desktop application. If you go to the site, pretty much all you can do from there is download the desktop app. Any photos you upload from that Picasa app, are in fact going into your Google+ albums. "Picasa" used to be the name of the *both* the application and Google's online photo sharing service...it's only the latter that has been merged into Google+ photos.

I honestly have no idea if there would be a difference if you unchecked either "Google photos" and "Google+ photos" from the sync. They may serve slightly different functions, but I'm just not sure...I leave both turned on and don't really have a reason to worry about it.

Yes, The "instant upload" service when they backup the photos to the "photos" app (the one with the pinwheel icon)...but guess what? The online albums in the "Photos" app are nothing more than (drum roll please...) your Google+ photo albums! The 2 work hand-in-hand; if you setup instant upload via the "photos" app, they are saved to the "instant upload" album of G+ photos. The "photos" app is pretty new, and it essentially designed to be a replacement for the "gallery" app and provide more functionality for working with both locally stored albums and your online Google+ albums. (think of "photos" as the mobile version of the "picasa" application I referenced above).

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaicShock View Post
    Instant upload is a way to backup all the photos that you take with your device. I believe it also uploads screenshots too (not sure about this one). I have it on because it has saved me a few times when I had to factory image my phone and lost all the photos. I also use dropbox and copy to backup my photos.

As for Gallery and Photos it seems the Photos app will eventually replace the Gallery app.
    Yup, that seems to be the case.

Not necessarily...(I'm not sure), but it simply won't sync your online albums to your device for viewing. Auto-upload and sync are not the same thing.

Take a look at these link:

Hope this helps.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaicShock View Post
    Take a look at these link:

Hope this helps.
    Yah, unfortunately I had already read them

Its just I haven't found a concise answer on what the exact differences are between google+ photos and google photos. Google+ Photos is starting to make sense. But google photos, I have no idea what that box actually does. I know google photos is connected to the "gallery" app but Im not sure to what extent.

Yah, unfortunately I had already read them

Its just I haven't found a concise answer on what the exact differences are between google+ photos and google photos. Google+ Photos is starting to make sense. But google photos, I have no idea what that box actually does. I know google photos is connected to the "gallery" app but Im not sure to what extent.
    And that's probably exactly what that sync is controlling, the online albums displayed in the "gallery". As it stands now, both "Google photos" and the "Gallery" app are both being phased out in favor of "G+ photos" and the "photos" (pinwheel) app. My guess is that they are still included because some older devices don't have the updated services.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you don't want those Picasa folders to show up anymore on your Gallery, go to Google sync options under settings, uncheck Google Photos and Google+ Photos ,and then clear data on Gallery app. When you reopen the app, the folders will be gone.
    Sony Ericsson K790a | Palm Treo 650 | Apple iPhone | Apple iPhone 3G | Apple iPhone 3GS | HTC EVO 4G | Samsung Epic 4G | HTC EVO 3D | HTC EVO 4G LTE | Apple iPhone 5 | LG Nexus 4 | Sony Xperia Z | HTC One | LG G2 | Sony Xperia Z1 | LG Nexus 5
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    And that's probably exactly what that sync is controlling, the online albums displayed in the "gallery". As it stands now, both "Google photos" and the "Gallery" app are both being phased out in favor of "G+ photos" and the "photos" (pinwheel) app. My guess is that they are still included because some older devices don't have the updated services.
    The thing that gets me is, there is only one folder in my "gallery" app and that's "camera." Is there anyway to make online albums show up? Just want to confirm it so I can at least eliminate my questions regarding "google photos" and how its related to gallery.

You need to go to Picasa and just delete the album you don't want and it'll sync on the phone and you'll just watch it disappear.

I guess once you sign in and have all your pictures shown to you. Go to the Instant Upload and delete it. I remember, it just kept on showing up and it was really annoying. I did this for my girlfriend too, she didn't want that folder. So I deleted it for her.
    BlackBerry Bold 9700>iPhone 4>iPhone 4S>NOKIA Lumia 900>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>LG Nexus 4>Asus Nexus 7(2013)>LG Nexus 5

The thing that gets me is, there is only one folder in my "gallery" app and that's "camera." Is there anyway to make online albums show up? Just want to confirm it so I can at least eliminate my questions regarding "google photos" and how its related to gallery.
    The "gallery" app will display any folder on the device that has pictures in it (my guess that for you, it's only "camera")...there should also be a setting in the options to view online galleries as well.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by hellomiggy View Post
    You need to go to Picasa and just delete the album you don't want and it'll sync on the phone and you'll just watch it disappear.

I guess once you sign in and have all your pictures shown to you. Go to the Instant Upload and delete it. I remember, it just kept on showing up and it was really annoying. I did this for my girlfriend too, she didn't want that folder. So I deleted it for her.
    I actually have two folders on the picasa website. One is "auto backup" and the other "instant upload." The instant upload folder is empty but when I try to delete it, I get a server 500 error. I was able to successfully delete the auto back up folders. Yeah, this stuff is pretty confusing.

i created a people/phone folder and add/edit/delete my contacts from that.
    The "infraction"

I actually have two folders on the picasa website. One is "auto backup" and the other "instant upload." The instant upload folder is empty but when I try to delete it, I get a server 500 error. I was able to successfully delete the auto back up folders. Yeah, this stuff is pretty confusing.
    I can't even get that far. On picasaweb.google.com, I've got those same two folders that you have, plus my profile pic. I can't do anything with them and the "album" level. If I click on any of them, it takes me to plus.google.com. So, this Picasa thing SEEMS to have photos, but as far as I can see, they're just placeholders linking me to my Google+ account. If Google Dashboard ( ) would stop showing me that I've got all these albums and photos on Picasa and tell me they were on Google+, I'd be happy. But, as is, it just confuses me.