1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.4.2 has caused location to be incorrect since update

Not sure why this is happening and can't seem to find a resolution.

Since updating to 4.4.2, has been stuck in a single location and does not update that location. It is approximately one hour/40 minute drive west of my current location. Not sure why it has chosen that spot. I keep "Location Mode" setting at Battery saving as I have always done. Using Google Maps and hitting the location button centers back on that spot. Google Now produces driving directtions, recommendations, etc. from that spot. Yahoo Mail widget updates weather assuming that spot. I have switched over to GPS only which updates back to the correct spot, but switching back to Location Mode immediately sends the phone back into thinking it is at that spot.

Any thoughts on how to clear or fix this without stitching to GPS only - which I assume is a strong battery hog?

Default Re: 4.4.2 has caused location to be incorrect since update

I always kept in High Accuracy mode. It only uses battery more when you are using the locations like in maps or navigation. When you are using battery saving mode, only wifi or cell network will be used. Android will first use near by wifi APs to determine your approximate location. If your wifi is off (and you force it off in advanced wifi setting for forbid location service to turn on wifi as well) or there is no Google recognized wifi APs (those collected by Google street view cars) nearby, it will be hard for Google to determine your location. If you are currently connected via wifi, it may use network DNS to determine your location which may belong to your ISP's office somewhere. Otherwise, it can turn to cell towers for location which is basically the exact location of the cell tower you currently connected to.

I am also using android 4.4.2 on my nexus 4.
    I am also experiencing similar problem.
    To be more specific.... I am using Google Maps application.
    location reporting (pointing to current location) works fine when using "device only" mode. It points to my current location within few seconds.
    location reporting also works fine when using "battery saving" mode and connected to wifi. It points to my current location within few seconds.
    but location reporting is stuck and always displays message that its "waiting for location" when using "battery saving" mode and connected to mobile data. my current location is never updated.

Any idea..??

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Was having trouble with GPS as well and went and put device only and sure enough it picked up my location. Are there any cons or anything I am missing from having it on device only as opposed to the other 2 options?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk