1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Runtime (ART)

I enabled Developer Options and changed my runtime to ART, I rebooted and everything is smooth and working properly, I was wondering if I was to turn off Developer Options to off, would ART stay enabled or would it default back to Dalvik, I want to stay on ART it don't to keep Developer Options on..

Thanks in advance...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    13,916 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Android Runtime (ART)

Quote Originally Posted by steven0188 View Post
    I enabled Developer Options and changed my runtime to ART, I rebooted and everything is smooth and working properly, I was wondering if I was to turn off Developer Options to off, would ART stay enabled or would it default back to Dalvik, I want to stay on ART it don't to keep Developer Options on..

Thanks in advance...

I think, but am not sure, once you turn Developer options off, it will revert back to a stock setting.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by steven0188 View Post

Thanks in advance...

I would imagine it would stay on. If you turn it off and reboot you will know. If it switches back to Dalvik, the apps would go through optimization at the reboot.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ok, well the good news is that it doesn't revert back, it stayed the same, the apps didn't have to re optimize, thanks guys for the help

Just curious, aren't you worried about running into an app that will not work with Art?

Specifically WhatsApp doesn't run, and to make matters worse it leaves a component on the device that must either be deleted by rooting the device or factory testing the device.

Otherwise you can't reinstall the App even if you revert to Dalvik. That seems like a pretty big price to pay if it fails on some app you need.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I had Chrome crash on me but I am not sure if that was ART or if it was just Chrome being buggy. Also Spotify seems to be acting up a bit more than usual but I didn't have the device long enough on Dalvik to really know if it was ART causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    I had Chrome crash on me but I am not sure if that was ART or if it was just Chrome being buggy. Also Spotify seems to be acting up a bit more than usual but I didn't have the device long enough on Dalvik to really know if it was ART causing the problem.
    I think that's probably just Chrome's doing. I haven't yet run into a problem with Android native apps running ART.