Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Robbie317
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 screen - Gorilla Glass 3 strength?

Hi Guys,

I just have a question about the GG3. Anyone had practical experience with it on the nexus 5 screen? How's the durability & damage resistant features (i.e. day-to-day accidental bumps & knocks on the screen; (except dropping it))?

Last night, while changing i hit my kneecap directly on my nexus 5 screen & heard an audible impact sound. Any idea if the GG3 can take such a one-time direct impact by my kneecap? or will it cause any stress/strain to the glass?

Any advice/information is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-16-2014 at 01:41 PM.

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Re: nexus 5 screen -Gorilla Glass 3 strength?

The screen is probably more likely to shatter from a lateral impact than hitting you knee. Probably the worst thing you can do is drop it on it's corner onto a hard surface.

GG is just risk reduction....you screen can still shatter and crack. It's just slightly harder to do.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ok, so as long as i don't drop my nexus 5 at all, the force produced by accidental direct impact bumps such as my kneecap striking it is far from enough to cause any sort f damage to the screen?

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I don't have an N5 but my S4 has GG3 too. I've dropped it a few times and it hasn't shattered but I wouldn't say it's any better at surviving direct impacts or high drops than any other screen. It's more of a scratch-resistant display than it is shatterproof

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ook
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I don't have an N5 but my S4 has GG3 too. I've dropped it a few times and it hasn't shattered but I wouldn't say it's any better at surviving direct impacts or high drops than any other screen. It's more of a scratch-resistant display than it is shatterproof

Ok thanks for the information.
    What about my situation, is the force produced by my knee accidentally striking the screen far from sufficient to cause any damage to it?

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by rya68 View Post
    Ok, so as long as i don't drop my nexus 5 at all, the force produced by accidental direct impact bumps such as my kneecap striking it is far from enough to cause any sort f damage to the screen?
    I've done more than that to my HTC Rezound which only has 1st gen GG and never cracked it.

And GG is stronger, it's just not invulnerable. I have dropped my Nexus 5 already from a few feet with no shatter. I dropped my Rezound from waist height with no shatter as well.

My nexus 4 fell from waist height onto tile without damage. But fell from thigh height later and did shatter.

GG3 can handle impact better than aircraft aluminum

gorilla glass 3 scratch test

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by rya68 View Post
    Ok thanks for the information.
    What about my situation, is the force produced by my knee accidentally striking the screen far from sufficient to cause any damage to it?
    Unless it fell from a lot higher I wouldn't worry about it. Not like it happens often, right?

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

kneecap is fine, soft, large surface of impact. damage is usually down with hard, brutal force at small contact area. p=f/s.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    yet, no aircraft uses gorilla glass.... lol, different type, different requirement.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Check out this thread. The Gorilla Glass will not survive extreme impacts such as falling down on it on stairs. Other than that it should be fine.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I was able to scratch my screen Wednesday after my phone fell out of my hand while opening my car door. I'm waiting to hear back from LG on how much it will cost to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    17 years in the Aircraft repair business and let me tell you... Aircraft grade aluminum is not all that thick or strong.... It's pretty thin and light weight for the most part... It's the structure/skeleton underneath and how it's designed/angles that protect it from serious damage, the leading edges of the wings are thicker.... You get close enough to an aircraft you'll see dents all over the air frame... a solid enough object with the right angle will poke a hole right through it.... Just sounds real good in a test...... Overall though Gorilla glass is pretty solid... I keep my screen naked and rarely get any scratches on my devices... at least not scratches that affect the actual use or visual of the phone.... 2 years with my GS3 I had a couple of hairline scratches you could only see if you had the phone powered off and had the screen cleaned perfectly.... Even knowing exactly where the scratches were I couldn't see them with the screen on.... almost two months on the N5 and I don't see any scratches yet even with a clean screen... I do keep a bumper case on it to protect it from small drops......
    Nexus 5, 32 gig, Black... Nexus 7 (2013)
    Thanked by 3:
    Gwarontonyr6UJ95x 
    Gwaron and tonyr6 like this.

The official Google Nexus 5 forums is littered with people complaing about the glass cracking and shattering. I would recommend everyone buy a Rhino Shield as I have, and a good case.
    Last edited by Nebul0us82; 02-16-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    kneecap is fine, soft, large surface of impact. damage is usually down with hard, brutal force at small contact area. p=f/s.
    Lol...

It's P=F/A

Not P=F/S

From my understanding, gorilla glass 3 is stronger at the same thickness, but manufacturers made the glass thinner so its really the same strength as gorilla glass 2. It is more scratch resistant though.