Not good news.....

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone is disputing that the changes are minor and may not be a huge deal to most people using the device. Google/LG must have felt it was a necessary change and the fact that they did it post-launch is the part that is off-putting. Whatever issues they feel the device has have to be universal otherwise there wouldn't be a redesign at all, but more of a quality control effort to make sure there's more consistency in the devices they're releasing.

You can all put away your pitchforks, but a level of irritation should be expected considering this is the second time they've done this.

Do you know how many times that Sony and Microsoft redesigned their PlayStation 3 and X Box 360 during the years they were out? I got the 3rd design change on the PlayStation 3 after it no longer supported the PS 2 games and it changed a few more times after that to the point the new ones didn't look anything like my versions.

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Do you know how many times that Sony and Microsoft redesigned their PlayStation 3 and X Box 360 during the years they were out? I got the 3rd design change on the PlayStation 3 after it no longer supported the PS 2 games and it changed a few more times after that to the point the new ones didn't look anything like my versions.

that is not the point. The point is the new isn't worn of the N5, heck, many people have paid for one but haven't received it yet. Now when it is delivered they have to wonder whether its the now discontinued version.

nexusfiver

Banned
Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I do have a level of irritation with this whole thing. However I can only be irritated so long because then I use my Nexus 5 and I forget all about these "imperfections" because they just do not hinder the user experience for me. I knew what I was getting when I chose to pay them $399 for a 32 GB Nexus 5. Incidentally, that's exactly what was shipped to me after I paid them for it. So how can I REALLY get upset at them for trying to make some very miniscule alterations that MIGHT provide a better user experience for some.

Just wait for a few weeks when people start complaining about the speaker grills cracking because those large, close together holes have compromised the strength of the plastic......

This is what I'm thinking, I bet the new ones will have problems too, maybe worse. There isn't really anything wrong with the current N5, I haven't had any problems at all with my SIM or anything lol.

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
This is what I'm thinking, I bet the new ones will have problems too, maybe worse. There isn't really anything wrong with the current N5, I haven't had any problems at all with my SIM or anything lol.

If there wasn't anything wrong with the original version Google and LG wouldn't have spent the time and money to redesign and retool. Don't be ridiculous.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how redesigned it could be. Except for a slight sharpness on the screen edges mine is perfect and I guarantee that at least 90% of the people who got one and don't read forums think theirs is perfectly fine too.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how redesigned it could be. Except for a slight sharpness on the screen edges mine is perfect and I guarantee that at least 90% of the people who got one and don't read forums think theirs is perfectly fine too.

What you don't know and what you guarantee about 90% of people who do not read forums is irrelevant. The device has at least 2 issues that needed to be addressed and if you have the original version yours has those issues. I wouldn't take it, I would have a new one asap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The device has at least 2 issues that needed to be addressed and if you have the original version yours has those issues. I wouldn't take it, I would have a new one asap.

From what I've seen so far, the latest hardware revision does the following:
1. Fixes loose power (and volume?) button.
2. Makes the SIM cover flush with the case.
3. Increases the size of the speaker holes.

My "original" Nexus 5 doesn't suffer from the first two issues and I don't know if the larger holes would make a big enough difference for me to care. My volume is definitely loud enough that I don't need to worry about it. You can't claim that every "original" version of the Nexus 5 has these issues because that's simply not true. If this is such a big deal to you, maybe you should just request an RMA? :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What you don't know and what you guarantee about 90% of people who do not read forums is irrelevant. The device has at least 2 issues that needed to be addressed and if you have the original version yours has those issues. I wouldn't take it, I would have a new one asap.

Mine does not have those issues. And if people whose power buttons are slightly rattly don't notice or mind, it's not an issue. A lot of the whining that goes on about minute flaws is just ridiculous yet highly entertaining, like looking at a fussing baby (if it happens to be your own I guess).

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine does not have those issues. And if people whose power buttons are slightly rattly don't notice or mind, it's not an issue. A lot of the whining that goes on about minute flaws is just ridiculous yet highly entertaining, like looking at a fussing baby (if it happens to be your own I guess).

You must have a "special" Nexus 5.

mjburt

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Ya agreed, Google should develop its own hardware department for the nexus series. Would probably be of higher quality

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you but I work for my money. I don't like spending it on a hero phone only to find out that mine is a beta model and the people buying it after me are getting the improved version for the same amount.

Do you even have a Nexus 5? Your profile says you have a LG G2 which cost about 40% more than we paid for the Nexus 5 for almost the same phone.

Superevangelist12

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I have is a power button that rattles noticeably... To the point that it rattles when I type on the screen.

Should I ask for a replacement? Would they replace for that issue? I've had the phone for 10 days.

Posted via Android Central App

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

before i knew there was a revision, i had spoken to google about my loose and rattling power button. glad i asked them about it, since they sent the updated one. people shouldn't care about the speaker holes, but if you were power button was loose, as mine was, it was very annoying. it seems there is a spectrum of how loose the power button was before the update, and mine was on the very loose side. who wants a phone that's not built perfectly from the start?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I have is a power button that rattles noticeably... To the point that it rattles when I type on the screen.

Should I ask for a replacement? Would they replace for that issue? I've had the phone for 10 days.

Posted via Android Central App

If it's that bad, yes, you can and should get a replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
before i knew there was a revision, i had spoken to google about my loose and rattling power button. glad i asked them about it, since they sent the updated one. people shouldn't care about the speaker holes, but if you were power button was loose, as mine was, it was very annoying. it seems there is a spectrum of how loose the power button was before the update, and mine was on the very loose side. who wants a phone that's not built perfectly from the start?

I agree with that. If it is rattling when just using the phone normally, it is defective. I'm just surprised that so many would be like that because I usually have the worst luck. ;) But apparently a lot were pretty bad and my luck was just good for once.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

RandomNickname

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had my phone for over a month and never thought the speakers were a problem. I also think there is nothing wrong with my buttons. They don't wobble and aren't loose. Perhaps it was only certain phones that had that problem? Or perhaps the design adjustment was implemented a few weeks ago and we just noticed now?

This is the same case for me. I got mine maybe two weeks after launch (if that long), but I've not run into any of the problems with speaker volume, button looseness, or anything else that some seem to have had with the launch run. Maybe I got lucky, I dunno, but I don't see an issue with the small fixes if they happen. It's part of the joy/danger of choosing to be an early adopter.