Goodbye Android (nexus 5) hello iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I hate to make this decision, because I love the android ecosystem. I love how it can do so much more than what ios can. The things I don't like though are really making me angry and making android annoying to use. I've owned an s3, the nexus 5 (which I'm returning) and a few other android phones. Nothing has compared to the simple everything works well hassle free experience of the iPhone. Trust me when you read this, I tried to love my newly obtained nexus 5 as a last ditch effort, I really did. Sadly, things just didn't work out. I want to say farewell to you all, and I hope you enjoy the Nexus 5. I'll still be around helping out in the forums but I'll mostly be on imore now. I want to thank all of you for being so helpful during my android experience with the problems I had, and I'll definitely pay it forward.

-DroidArmy

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I hate to make this decision, because I love the android ecosystem. I love how it can do so much more than what ios can. The things I don't like though are really making me angry and making android annoying to use. I've owned an s3, the nexus 5 (which I'm returning) and a few other android phones. Nothing has compared to the simple everything works well hassle free experience of the iPhone. Trust me when you read this, I tried to love my newly obtained nexus 5 as a last ditch effort, I really did. Sadly, things just didn't work out. I want to say farewell to you all, and I hope you enjoy the Nexus 5. I'll still be around helping out in the forums but I'll mostly be on imore now. I want to thank all of you for being so helpful during my android experience with the problems I had, and I'll definitely pay it forward.

-DroidArmy

The iPhone is a great smartphone. We've always had at least one in my household. I just happen to have gone the other direction. Screen was just to darned small for my hands. Enjoy!

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

-DroidArmy

That's the difference between IOS and Android. Apple locks everything down and you get very little customization whereas Android is more open. Everything works smoothly because it has to go through Apple first and that works for them. With Android you have more freedom and choice but way more bugs. I would use Apple in a heartbeat if they had a 5" screen but they choose not too. Probably from ignorance or stubbornness but hey who am I to say they are wrong. They aren't 1 of the top companies from making mistakes

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Be honest, you were an Apple fan to begin with......

Yes, I suppose I do have some loyalty to Apple having owned an iPhone 4 and 4s before Android. I'm always open to trying new things though. I liked some parts of Android and I didn't like some other parts. I didn't like how most of the manufacturers didn't get quality down or didn't tune something properly. I was always left to rooting and changing the sound and screen saturation myself. That's just an example, and I could never get it right. Sound quality was the big issue for me, something Apple is known to have nailed. I'm a busy person, I shouldn't have to tweak something I paid good money for. It should just work properly out of the box.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
That's the difference between IOS and Android. Apple locks everything down and you get very little customization whereas Android is more open. Everything works smoothly because it has to go through Apple first and that works for them. With Android you have more freedom and choice but way more bugs. I would use Apple in a heartbeat if they had a 5" screen but they choose not too. Probably from ignorance or stubbornness but hey who am I to say they are wrong. They aren't 1 of the top companies from making mistakes

That's the way I feel as well. I got an android phone for the screen, but instantly found out it wasn't as polished as it could be in some places. I'm willing to live with the 4 inch screen having owned an iPhone before. It will take some adjustment back, but it will work. I just wish iPhones had 5 inch screens

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
That's the way I feel as well. I got an android phone for the screen, but instantly found out it wasn't as polished as it could be in some places. I'm willing to live with the 4 inch screen having owned an iPhone before. It will take some adjustment back, but it will work. I just wish iPhones had 5 inch screens

You know what's going to happen..... You're going to get a new iPhone 5s, with a shiny new 2 year contract, and next year Apple will introduce their new 5" display iPhone 6! They introduced an iPad Mini to complete with the 7" tablets flooding the market (and it ended up being a big seller), and I see this happening with their phones also.

DOH!!

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I for one would be unable to use the miniscule screen of the iPhone. My hands are too big and I get headaches trying to read that tiny screen.

Of course it is extremely easy to make a robust environment when your Launcher is just icons. I would find it hard to lose widgets.

For me the best iPhone experience is the iPad Mini. (^_-)

Sent from my Nexus 5

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
"Goodbye"
I said the same to my iPhone 5 last year before putting it in its box returning to my Nexus 4.
My iPhone 5S is in the mail & I'll most likely be doing the same (swapping out the N4 for the N5).

I like iPhone build-quality & simplicity, but it just doesn't have enough to keep me using it as my primary device. I only keep them as reference devices (same as my WP & BB OS10 phones).

I hope the iPhone 6 has just these 3 following changes:
-4.5+inch screen
-Widgets (even if only on a dedicated page like Search use to be on iOS)
-LED indicator (camera flash doesn't cut it)
That's all I need it to have before I can consider using it as my primary device, am I asking too much?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
You know what's going to happen..... You're going to get a new iPhone 5s, with a shiny new 2 year contract, and next year Apple will introduce their new 5" display iPhone 6! They introduced an iPad Mini to complete with the 7" tablets flooding the market (and it ended up being a big seller), and I see this happening with their phones also.

DOH!!
Probably, but then I might sell it online and buy the new one. iPhones go for a crazy amount on ebay. I should be able to fund that purchase by selling the 5s. But that's next year though, we're still in this year :)

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Good by isheep and we don't care. I don't want a iPhone with it's tiny screen and a design that hasn't changed much since 2007.. I always love to laugh when I see someone that paid $700 for bling iphone that looks like a kids toy to me. As far as Apples quality I had three of four i4 break on me in about 15 months and Apple made me pay $150 for a replacement Twice. 1st one died one week after the 1 year warranty expired and the $150 was just a 30 day warranty on the replacement i4. When the 3rd one broke after 45 days they took another $150 to get the last one. I can't stand Apples low quality products after that.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Good by isheep and we don't care. I don't want a iPhone with it's tiny screen and a design that hasn't changed much since 2007.. I always love to laugh when I see someone that paid $700 for bling iphone that looks like a kids toy to me. As far as Apples quality I had three of four i4 break on me in about 15 months and Apple made me pay $150 for a replacement Twice. 1st one died one week after the 1 year warranty expired and the $150 was just a 30 day warranty on the replacement i4. When the 3rd one broke after 45 days they took another $150 to get the last one. I can't stand Apples low quality products after that.
Hey, I didn't call anybody in this thread names. I'm trying to be nice and so far I have been. You have no right to bash my personal decision, just like I have no right to bash yours. Just because I'm switching to ios doesn't make me an "isheep".

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

-DroidArmy

Wish you the best. I came from iPhone 5s to Nexus 5. Both great phones. Nexus met my needs best, particularly those tied into Google eco system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I know what you mean. Awhile ago I had an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4 that I used side-by-side, and I stuck with the Nexus 4. One thing I discovered though is that since Jelly Bean, iOS doesn't have anything over Android in speed, stability, smoothness, and reliability.

Probably the biggest reason was that I don't like the iPhones small screen. If the rumor of a larger screen device comes true I could switch, although I don't think I will any. I'm on prepaid so I pay full price for my phones, and iPhones are too expensive for that.

Although I did the opposite of you, you have my full respect. It's not important which OS we go with, it's important that we like our device and that it does what we need. FWIW, I just gained a few brownie points with my wife when she got her new Moto X yesterday! :D

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Thats a bit uncalled for. Give credit where its due, iPhones are great devices. Apple makes great devices in general, like someone already said theres a reason why their the NUMBER ONE valued company too date. Honestly if Apple wasn't the stuck up, stubborn ill ethic company they are now, i'd jump ship and probably move to an iPhone as well (if it had a bigger screen). To the OP enjoy your iPhone. No hatred from me.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just wonder about the motivation of saying goodbye here instead of just "hello, I'm back" in iMore.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and don't let the door hit you.. :D Seriously the phones are for different tastes and priorities I'd guess.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Thats a bit uncalled for. Give credit where its due, iPhones are great devices. Apple makes great devices in general, like someone already said theres a reason why their the NUMBER ONE valued company too date. Honestly if Apple wasn't the stuck up, stubborn ill ethic company they are now, i'd jump ship and probably move to an iPhone as well (if it had a bigger screen). To the OP enjoy your iPhone. No hatred from me.

Not in my opinion since Apple is the lowest quality phone I have every had with three out of four breaking in 15 months. Never had any cell phone break before I got a Apple or since. As far as I am concerned Apple stole at least $150 from me for a phone that didn't last more than 45 days before it broke and then wanted another $150 to replace it. Apple is a rip off that uses Bling bling marketing to sell a over priced phone. Apple sells one size fits all with a tiny screen and missing so many features my Nexus 5 has that the over priced fruit company doesn't have. Apple is a walled garden with proprietary everything so they can over charge for everything and tries to sue every other phone manufacture out of business. I will never give apple one penny of my money again.

Status
Not open for further replies.