Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

Default Goodbye Android (nexus 5) hello iPhone

I hate to make this decision, because I love the android ecosystem. I love how it can do so much more than what ios can. The things I don't like though are really making me angry and making android annoying to use. I've owned an s3, the nexus 5 (which I'm returning) and a few other android phones. Nothing has compared to the simple everything works well hassle free experience of the iPhone. Trust me when you read this, I tried to love my newly obtained nexus 5 as a last ditch effort, I really did. Sadly, things just didn't work out. I want to say farewell to you all, and I hope you enjoy the Nexus 5. I'll still be around helping out in the forums but I'll mostly be on imore now. I want to thank all of you for being so helpful during my android experience with the problems I had, and I'll definitely pay it forward.

-DroidArmy

Default Re: Goodbye Android (nexus 5) hello iPhone

You're not the only one friend

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Be honest, you were an Apple fan to begin with......
    yfan, Wiley_11, Shilohcane and 3 others like this.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DroidArmy View Post
    I hate to make this decision, because I love the android ecosystem. I love how it can do so much more than what ios can. The things I don't like though are really making me angry and making android annoying to use. I've owned an s3, the nexus 5 (which I'm returning) and a few other android phones. Nothing has compared to the simple everything works well hassle free experience of the iPhone. Trust me when you read this, I tried to love my newly obtained nexus 5 as a last ditch effort, I really did. Sadly, things just didn't work out. I want to say farewell to you all, and I hope you enjoy the Nexus 5. I'll still be around helping out in the forums but I'll mostly be on imore now. I want to thank all of you for being so helpful during my android experience with the problems I had, and I'll definitely pay it forward.

-DroidArmy
    The iPhone is a great smartphone. We've always had at least one in my household. I just happen to have gone the other direction. Screen was just to darned small for my hands. Enjoy!
    Thanked by:
    DroidArmy and dazed_android like this.

-DroidArmy
    That's the difference between IOS and Android. Apple locks everything down and you get very little customization whereas Android is more open. Everything works smoothly because it has to go through Apple first and that works for them. With Android you have more freedom and choice but way more bugs. I would use Apple in a heartbeat if they had a 5" screen but they choose not too. Probably from ignorance or stubbornness but hey who am I to say they are wrong. They aren't 1 of the top companies from making mistakes
    Thanked by:
    primal5 and DroidArmy like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

Quote Originally Posted by Qbancelli View Post
    Be honest, you were an Apple fan to begin with......
    Yes, I suppose I do have some loyalty to Apple having owned an iPhone 4 and 4s before Android. I'm always open to trying new things though. I liked some parts of Android and I didn't like some other parts. I didn't like how most of the manufacturers didn't get quality down or didn't tune something properly. I was always left to rooting and changing the sound and screen saturation myself. That's just an example, and I could never get it right. Sound quality was the big issue for me, something Apple is known to have nailed. I'm a busy person, I shouldn't have to tweak something I paid good money for. It should just work properly out of the box.
    brick58 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsoNJ View Post
    That's the difference between IOS and Android. Apple locks everything down and you get very little customization whereas Android is more open. Everything works smoothly because it has to go through Apple first and that works for them. With Android you have more freedom and choice but way more bugs. I would use Apple in a heartbeat if they had a 5" screen but they choose not too. Probably from ignorance or stubbornness but hey who am I to say they are wrong. They aren't 1 of the top companies from making mistakes
    That's the way I feel as well. I got an android phone for the screen, but instantly found out it wasn't as polished as it could be in some places. I'm willing to live with the 4 inch screen having owned an iPhone before. It will take some adjustment back, but it will work. I just wish iPhones had 5 inch screens
    brick58 likes this.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

That's the way I feel as well. I got an android phone for the screen, but instantly found out it wasn't as polished as it could be in some places. I'm willing to live with the 4 inch screen having owned an iPhone before. It will take some adjustment back, but it will work. I just wish iPhones had 5 inch screens
    You know what's going to happen..... You're going to get a new iPhone 5s, with a shiny new 2 year contract, and next year Apple will introduce their new 5" display iPhone 6! They introduced an iPad Mini to complete with the 7" tablets flooding the market (and it ended up being a big seller), and I see this happening with their phones also.

DOH!!

I for one would be unable to use the miniscule screen of the iPhone. My hands are too big and I get headaches trying to read that tiny screen.

Of course it is extremely easy to make a robust environment when your Launcher is just icons. I would find it hard to lose widgets.

For me the best iPhone experience is the iPad Mini. (^_-)

Sent from my Nexus 5
    mchockeyvette27 likes this.

"Goodbye"
    I said the same to my iPhone 5 last year before putting it in its box returning to my Nexus 4.
    My iPhone 5S is in the mail & I'll most likely be doing the same (swapping out the N4 for the N5).

I like iPhone build-quality & simplicity, but it just doesn't have enough to keep me using it as my primary device. I only keep them as reference devices (same as my WP & BB OS10 phones).

I hope the iPhone 6 has just these 3 following changes:
    -4.5+inch screen
    -Widgets (even if only on a dedicated page like Search use to be on iOS)
    -LED indicator (camera flash doesn't cut it)
    That's all I need it to have before I can consider using it as my primary device, am I asking too much?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    petaf likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    You know what's going to happen..... You're going to get a new iPhone 5s, with a shiny new 2 year contract, and next year Apple will introduce their new 5" display iPhone 6! They introduced an iPad Mini to complete with the 7" tablets flooding the market (and it ended up being a big seller), and I see this happening with their phones also.

DOH!!
    Probably, but then I might sell it online and buy the new one. iPhones go for a crazy amount on ebay. I should be able to fund that purchase by selling the 5s. But that's next year though, we're still in this year

Good by isheep and we don't care. I don't want a iPhone with it's tiny screen and a design that hasn't changed much since 2007.. I always love to laugh when I see someone that paid $700 for bling iphone that looks like a kids toy to me. As far as Apples quality I had three of four i4 break on me in about 15 months and Apple made me pay $150 for a replacement Twice. 1st one died one week after the 1 year warranty expired and the $150 was just a 30 day warranty on the replacement i4. When the 3rd one broke after 45 days they took another $150 to get the last one. I can't stand Apples low quality products after that.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Good by isheep and we don't care. I don't want a iPhone with it's tiny screen and a design that hasn't changed much since 2007.. I always love to laugh when I see someone that paid $700 for bling iphone that looks like a kids toy to me. As far as Apples quality I had three of four i4 break on me in about 15 months and Apple made me pay $150 for a replacement Twice. 1st one died one week after the 1 year warranty expired and the $150 was just a 30 day warranty on the replacement i4. When the 3rd one broke after 45 days they took another $150 to get the last one. I can't stand Apples low quality products after that.
    Hey, I didn't call anybody in this thread names. I'm trying to be nice and so far I have been. You have no right to bash my personal decision, just like I have no right to bash yours. Just because I'm switching to ios doesn't make me an "isheep".
    Thanked by 5:
    gabbott, TgeekB, nab and 1 others like this.

-DroidArmy
    Wish you the best. I came from iPhone 5s to Nexus 5. Both great phones. Nexus met my needs best, particularly those tied into Google eco system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,789 Global Posts

Yeah I know what you mean. Awhile ago I had an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4 that I used side-by-side, and I stuck with the Nexus 4. One thing I discovered though is that since Jelly Bean, iOS doesn't have anything over Android in speed, stability, smoothness, and reliability.

Probably the biggest reason was that I don't like the iPhones small screen. If the rumor of a larger screen device comes true I could switch, although I don't think I will any. I'm on prepaid so I pay full price for my phones, and iPhones are too expensive for that.

Although I did the opposite of you, you have my full respect. It's not important which OS we go with, it's important that we like our device and that it does what we need. FWIW, I just gained a few brownie points with my wife when she got her new Moto X yesterday!
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

Thats a bit uncalled for. Give credit where its due, iPhones are great devices. Apple makes great devices in general, like someone already said theres a reason why their the NUMBER ONE valued company too date. Honestly if Apple wasn't the stuck up, stubborn ill ethic company they are now, i'd jump ship and probably move to an iPhone as well (if it had a bigger screen). To the OP enjoy your iPhone. No hatred from me.
    TgeekB and nab like this.

I just wonder about the motivation of saying goodbye here instead of just "hello, I'm back" in iMore.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 3:

Oh, and don't let the door hit you.. Seriously the phones are for different tastes and priorities I'd guess.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Low View Post
    Thats a bit uncalled for. Give credit where its due, iPhones are great devices. Apple makes great devices in general, like someone already said theres a reason why their the NUMBER ONE valued company too date. Honestly if Apple wasn't the stuck up, stubborn ill ethic company they are now, i'd jump ship and probably move to an iPhone as well (if it had a bigger screen). To the OP enjoy your iPhone. No hatred from me.
    Not in my opinion since Apple is the lowest quality phone I have every had with three out of four breaking in 15 months. Never had any cell phone break before I got a Apple or since. As far as I am concerned Apple stole at least $150 from me for a phone that didn't last more than 45 days before it broke and then wanted another $150 to replace it. Apple is a rip off that uses Bling bling marketing to sell a over priced phone. Apple sells one size fits all with a tiny screen and missing so many features my Nexus 5 has that the over priced fruit company doesn't have. Apple is a walled garden with proprietary everything so they can over charge for everything and tries to sue every other phone manufacture out of business. I will never give apple one penny of my money again.
    Minkey1 and mrsmumbles like this.

I'll still be around helping out in the forums but I'll mostly be on imore now.

-DroidArmy
    Are you going to change your screenname? iArmy?

Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

Hey, I didn't call anybody in this thread names. I'm trying to be nice and so far I have been. You have no right to bash my personal decision, just like I have no right to bash yours. Just because I'm switching to ios doesn't make me an "isheep".
    That's not the point. It's just that announcing "I'm leaving" sounds a bit trollish. I have switched platforms and products before, but didn't feel the need to go and start a whole thread in a forum about why I'm leaving.

Also, you give no specific examples of why the iOS experience is better. You just say it is smooth. That means nothing. There's no specific issue to discuss, and when there isn't a specific issue to discuss, things tend to take the turn of personal attitudes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Not in my opinion since Apple is the lowest quality phone I have every had with three out of four breaking in 15 months. Never had any cell phone break before I got a Apple or since. As far as I am concerned Apple stole at least $150 from me for a phone that didn't last more than 45 days before it broke and then wanted another $150 to replace it. Apple is a rip off that uses Bling bling marketing to sell a over priced phone. Apple sells one size fits all with a tiny screen and missing so many features my Nexus 5 has that the over priced fruit company doesn't have. Apple is a walled garden with proprietary everything so they can over charge for everything and tries to sue every other phone manufacture out of business. I will never give apple one penny of my money again.
    Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean the iPhone is a bad phone or low-quality. Aside from their software, iPhones are some of the best phones you can buy, even if they are small.

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

-DroidArmy
    Well it's like they say....once you've had Mac you don't go back......

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    That's not the point. It's just that announcing "I'm leaving" sounds a bit trollish. I have switched platforms and products before, but didn't feel the need to go and start a whole thread in a forum about why I'm leaving.
    I think some people feel a bond with other posters who have helped them and they feel if they just disappear without an explanation that is rude.
    nab likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean the iPhone is a bad phone or low-quality. Aside from their software, iPhones are some of the best phones you can buy, even if they are small.

Posted via Android Central App
    My experience is Apple is junk and ripped me off on every replacement that was so low quality they would only give it a 30 warranty for $150 a pop.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast