Nexus 5 Texting with Nexus 7

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't even know where to start. I originally knew how to only use hangouts to text on N5. But then I read its not even a text. Done differently.
I have the N7 and understand that you cannot text via WiFi without some app that links the 2. NP. I prefer Tablet talk where u keep your own number

Finally the problem. I am unable to text from Tablet even when LTE is on, no wifi. A lot of other apps you can't also. Can you simply not text from tablets without a special app?

Basically the one I love, Tablet Talk, logically I have to have the phone by me to use WiFi or BT connection. The tradeoff of having to have a whole new number with other app

I can't even text with Hangouts on the tablet when LTE is on correct? Has something to do with it not being exactly like a SMS?

any help is appreciated thank you

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Gecko. I tried that.that's the same kind where you have to have a different phone number. To me, it was a little slow and didn't do batch delete , not that that is a deal killer

The best one I tried like that was textPlus. Also given rave reviews.

So I just wanna know If there is one, other than the kind that need to connect to the phone so the phone needs to be nearby.

Also if and why you can/can't text with Hangouts on a tablet even if you're on WiFi

Thanks though. I appreciate your help and anyone's

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

MighyText is fracking amazing. Couldn't help but to like and thank your post :). Though it seems to have a long list of problems with Hangouts and 4.4, especially 4.4.1/2.

The best part is you can text from your computer. It's invaluable to me as I spend a lot of time on my laptop for homework. I can see when, who, and what is texted to me. I can also initiate calls and see who is calling me, all from a pop up in the bottom.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
MighyText is fracking amazing. Couldn't help but to like and thank your post :). Though it seems to have a long list of problems with Hangouts and 4.4, especially 4.4.1/2.

The best part is you can text from your computer. It's invaluable to me as I spend a lot of time on my laptop for homework. I can see when, who, and what is texted to me. I can also initiate calls and see who is calling me, all from a pop up in the bottom.

have you seen Pushbullet? i use it in conjunction with MightyText. Pushbullet sends all alerts to my PC - i use it for CNN alerts and also alerts for Parcels, NBC Local News, FlightView, Weather Channel, etc.

Real-Time Notification Mirroring From Android To Your Computer

Pushbullet can now show you all of your phone’s notifications right on your computer, the second they show up.

Now you can know instantly why your phone just buzzed.

This is extremely useful—it enables you to both ignore lame notifications instead of getting interrupted, and makes sure you know right away if something important has just showed up.

This has completely changed the way I react to getting a notification on my phone. Instead of having to grab it out of my pocket and check what has just shown up (only to be disappointed that it’s something unimportant), I now just look at the notification on my computer and know right away. It’s really cool.

https://www.pushbullet.com

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the 'having to be assigned another number' bother you guy

You are not assigned a new number. MightyText just sends a command to your phone through your default SMS app to send the text you typed out on another device. Basically it goes Web/Tablet App > MT Servers > MT App on Phone > Default SMS App > Cell Provider Network...

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I will have to try that again tomorrow I am probably getting it mixed up with textplus or some other app

To confirm tho
1. Hangouts is not the same as texting
2. Nova notifications still don't work on hangouts

*I can't stand the having to worry about whether to use BT or wifi etc with Tablet Talk

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I will have to try that again tomorrow I am probably getting it mixed up with textplus or some other app

To confirm tho
1. Hangouts is not the same as texting
2. Nova notifications still don't work on hangouts

*I can't stand the having to worry about whether to use BT or wifi etc with Tablet Talk

1. Hangouts on Android 4.4+ is the texting (SMS/MMS) app. Unless you change it, on the Nexus 5 it will be your texting app that MT will send through, using your cell provider's provided number. I believe that Google is allowing texting on Hangouts for all phones on Android 4.0+ and somehow establishes itself as the default texting app without OS support. Hangouts is also Google's Skype. It works for both.

2. No idea. Sorry.

I loved Tablet Talk and heavily supported the developer during the beginning days but MT, no offense to him, blows Tablet Talk out of the water. It's not his fault either. MightyText has the backing of millions of dollars while Tablet Talk is limited by a single developer's funds and resources.

Last edited:

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No Im pretty good with having to use Hangouts or get a 3rd party app on Kit Kat

But I am speaking from a technical point of view, don't know myself but I thought I heard someone say it is not using short message system. Something about packets..

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
No Im pretty good with having to use Hangouts or get a 3rd party app on Kit Kat

But I am speaking from a technical point of view, don't know myself but I thought I heard someone say it is not using short message system. Something about packets..

Not sure exactly what you mean... Short Message System is SMS, otherwise known as a basic text message which Hangouts now does as of the 2nd edition which premiered with 4.4 Kit Kat. It does also does Google Hangouts which is internet based.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I was a huge MightyText fanboy and evangelist - until I tried CloudSMS! CloudSMS has a much more refined looking UI and works just like MightyText. Until Google decided to allow us to send texts using the Hangouts app on tablets using the same tech as CloudSMS and MightyText, CloudSMS is your best bet IMO.

Posted via Android Central App

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I was a huge MightyText fanboy and evangelist - until I tried CloudSMS! CloudSMS has a much more refined looking UI and works just like MightyText. Until Google decided to allow us to send texts using the Hangouts app on tablets using the same tech as CloudSMS and MightyText, CloudSMS is your best bet IMO.

Posted via Android Central App

Never tried CloudSMS. Can you still use Hangouts as the texting app?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton