1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry android.process.media fails copying from PC over USB

Anyone seen this? If i connect my N5 to my Windows 7 PC over USB and try and drag & drop files to the N5, this error invariably pops up on the phone, and copying hangs.

If I copy 1-2 files at a time it's a lot less likely to occur than if I copy 5 or more in one go. Once it's happened I have to disconnect the USB cable & try again.

Phone is pretty stock, just a few small apps & games installed so far - only had it a couple of weeks. Happened on 4.4 and 4.4.2

Cheers for any help

Default Re: android.process.media fails copying from PC over USB

Mine is the same - trying to copy over 1300 photos from an iPhone backup to it and it keeps crashing.

In the end, I installed AirDroid which is brilliant and no issues with it crashing yet and it has done 1200 so far

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

It's funny you mention this I had it happen a lot after the 4.4.2 Update. On 4.4 I transferred 2GB of old photos and 4GB of music over and it was no problem. I did a Factory reset yesterday for rooting (it was updated to 4.4.2 before hand) and had to transfer everything back and kept getting the error. I had to move stuff over ~500mb at a time.
    ay

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Hughes View Post
    Anyone seen this? If i connect my N5 to my Windows 7 PC over USB and try and drag & drop files to the N5, this error invariably pops up on the phone, and copying hangs.

If I copy 1-2 files at a time it's a lot less likely to occur than if I copy 5 or more in one go. Once it's happened I have to disconnect the USB cable & try again.

Phone is pretty stock, just a few small apps & games installed so far - only had it a couple of weeks. Happened on 4.4 and 4.4.2

Cheers for any help
    How are you connecting the Nexus 5 to a PC to transfer files? It seems well documented throughout these forums that this phone does not have such a "mass usb storage mode". When I connect my phone to a Windows 8.1 laptop, the phone indicates it is "connected as a media device", and only offers me the choices of an MTP or PTP connection, neither of which gets recognized by Windows Explorer as a connected device. Am I missing something obvious that allows you to connect the phone to a Windows computer as a storage device Windows recognizes? Thanks for any insight you may have for me.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm just plugging in the USB lead and sticking that into the PC - Now you mention it, it does come up as "connected as a media device" but I get no option for MTP or PTP - it just pops up an Explorer window that I can browse around and drag files to... sporadically...

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

If it's Windows 7 It automatically downloads the correct driver for MTP (90% of the time).
    Windows XP you might need to download the drivers from google. But with MTP it limits the types of files you can transfer and you can't see the file system of the phone.
    ay

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Hughes View Post
    I'm just plugging in the USB lead and sticking that into the PC - Now you mention it, it does come up as "connected as a media device" but I get no option for MTP or PTP - it just pops up an Explorer window that I can browse around and drag files to... sporadically...
    I found an article in the XDA forums which indicated that plugging in the phone, finding it in Device Manager, deleting the drivers, and then re-plugging in the phone would do the trick. Sure enough, I can find the phone listed now as a storage device! Thanks for your feedback.