Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Hello,

    I got Nexus 5 and it does not have an App to play Local FM radio, even a 1.5 K phone will be able to play FM radio without any internet and why Nexus 5 does not have this basic feature ? Please help me with some suggestions/alternatives.

    Thanks,
    Shyam
  2. #2  
    tebore's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    They did it to save cost.
    It's also clear that Google's move with the N5 was to push cloud service specifically Google's cloud services. The target of the N5 are developed nations with consistent and stable and widely accessible internet access which allows Google to push more ads and services.

    The trade off was have an LTE radio with wide band support so it could push Google's Music services or put in an FM Radio which they wouldn't make any money off of it.

    That's why even though android has more than 50% of the world's market share it still isn't as profitable as Apple's ~30-50% of the developed nations. Without cheap and stable mobile internet access Google can't really make money.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    There is a huge thread on this same subject in the Nexus 4 forum; it probably dates back to December, 2012.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Radios are being phased out. In some countries they are disconnecting traditional for digital etc. Google is more pushing for cloud music and storagem

    - Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  5. #5  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,751 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Yes no fm radio on this device. Aside from cost, I don't see many new devices being released with one.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. #6  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by shyam sundar kulkarni View Post
    Hello,

    I got Nexus 5 and it does not have an App to play Local FM radio, even a 1.5 K phone will be able to play FM radio without any internet and why Nexus 5 does not have this basic feature ? Please help me with some suggestions/alternatives.

    Thanks,
    Shyam
    You should've checked if a smartphone will have a hardware feature you want before you make a purchase. But I understand where you're coming from, sometimes I wonder why I can't use my Nexus 5 as a ham radio.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Get a Moto G, or a Nokia Lumia phone. I have a 520, in addition to my N5, and it's a great feature.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    I love FM Radio options, but it's been a long time since i've had a smartphone with it. I don't think Google left it out to cut costs, I think they left it out because they don't see the point when they're pushing Google Play Music and other streaming services.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  9. #9  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,751 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by jairusz View Post
    You should've checked if a smartphone will have a hardware feature you want before you make a purchase. But I understand where you're coming from, sometimes I wonder why I can't use my Nexus 5 as a ham radio.
    That's because you need cheese to go with that ham radio to make it work :P
    Thanked by:
    jairusz, itic and kgbkny like this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by tebore View Post
    They did it to save cost.
    It's also clear that Google's move with the N5 was to push cloud service specifically Google's cloud services. The target of the N5 are developed nations with consistent and stable and widely accessible internet access which allows Google to push more ads and services.

    The trade off was have an LTE radio with wide band support so it could push Google's Music services or put in an FM Radio which they wouldn't make any money off of it.

    That's why even though android has more than 50% of the world's market share it still isn't as profitable as Apple's ~30-50% of the developed nations. Without cheap and stable mobile internet access Google can't really make money.
    The $180 Moto G comes with an FM Radio, so no they did not do it to save costs.
    ConTejas and LegalAmerican like this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    None of my 3 Android phones has radio except the cell radio bands.

    Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
  12. #12  
    tebore's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    The $180 Moto G comes with an FM Radio, so no they did not do it to save costs.
    Moto G doesn't have a 4.95" 1080P Screen,
    No LTE
    8/16 Storage vs 16/32
    No NFC
    No OIS or BSI 5MP shooter.
    Slower CPU/GPU/ Half the RAM
    No AC Wifi / Single channel N.
    No Qi charging

    But you're right it has an FM radio. Totally the same league of phone and target market.

    Also the Moto G is targeted for the emerging market where there's limited mobile internet. Exactly where FM radio would work but not cloud based storage and music.
    yfan and kgbkny like this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by tebore View Post
    Moto G doesn't have a 4.95" 1080P Screen,
    No LTE
    8/16 Storage vs 16/32
    No NFC
    No OIS or BSI 5MP shooter.
    Slower CPU/GPU/ Half the RAM
    No AC Wifi / Single channel N.
    No Qi charging

    But you're right it has an FM radio. Totally the same league of phone and target market.

    Also the Moto G is targeted for the emerging market where there's limited mobile internet. Exactly where FM radio would work but not cloud based storage and music.
    Here's a list of all the phones from 2013 with FM radios:



    There's several flagships on there, such as the LG G2, Nokia 1520, HTC One Max, and Sony Xperia Z1. All of them have LTE, 1080p screens, and large internal storage.

    So I'm not sure how expensive $600 flagship devices like these would do in emerging markets with that FM radio...

    The lack of an FM radio is not omitted to reduce cost. Rather, it's been omitted to drive up revenue because consumers are forced to listen to Google Music and either purchase their songs or be exposed to advertisers.

    In short, there's no FM radio because Google is greedy, just like how there's no microSD card expansion because Google wants you to spend $50 on 16 GB more storage and to use their cloud service.
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  
    tebore's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    Here's a list of all the phones from 2013 with FM radios:



    There's several flagships on there, such as the LG G2, Nokia 1520, HTC One Max, and Sony Xperia Z1. All of them have LTE, 1080p screens, and large internal storage.

    So I'm not sure how expensive $600 flagship devices like these would do in emerging markets with that FM radio...

    The lack of an FM radio is not omitted to reduce cost. Rather, it's been omitted to drive up revenue because consumers are forced to listen to Google Music and either purchase their songs or be exposed to advertisers.

    In short, there's no FM radio because Google is greedy, just like how there's no microSD card expansion because Google wants you to spend $50 on 16 GB more storage and to use their cloud service.
    You again answered your own question. Those devices are $600+ flagships. The N5 is a mear $399.99 they're taken it out to save money. Flagships typically take the give the consumer everything and the kitchen sink approach.
    The N5 was designed very carefully to not include frivious things, but instead to promote the services and experience that Google wants the consumer to experience. Better camera was a top priority for Google. So they give the consumer a good camera, not the best but good. Faster internet and connectivity to push more services? Include AC wifi and an capable LTE radio with great power management.
    And of course the LG G2 has an MSD card. Too bad we don't all live in Korea.

    In Short: They took it out to save money and to push their own services which is what I stated in the first post.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    In short, there's no FM radio because Google is greedy, just like how there's no microSD card expansion because Google wants you to spend $50 on 16 GB more storage and to use their cloud service.
    Google subsidizes the Nexus 5. No phone manufacturer could sell you a 16GB phone with the specs of the Nexus 5 for $350. They would go bankrupt. And many other phone manufacturers charge a $100 premium over the 16GB price in order to get 32GB of storage.

    The only reason the Nexus 5 can be sold for such a cheap price is because Google is subsidizing the phone so that android app developers will buy it and produce more apps. It is not intended to be a consumer device. It is a subsidized developer device.
    Thanked by 2:
    kgbkny likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    Google subsidizes the Nexus 5. No phone manufacturer could sell you a 16GB phone with the specs of the Nexus 5 for $350. They would go bankrupt. And many other phone manufacturers charge a $100 premium over the 16GB price in order to get 32GB of storage.

    The only reason the Nexus 5 can be sold for such a cheap price is because Google is subsidizing the phone so that android app developers will buy it and produce more apps. It is not intended to be a consumer device. It is a subsidized developer device.
    I totally disagree.

    The price is so low primarily because the phone does not have to support multiple levels of middlemen each getting a piece of the sale. The bulk of these phones are direct sale/direct ship from Google with little human contact anywhere in the transaction. Compare that to the way most phones are sold - in expensive storefronts with each sale eating up 30 to 60 minutes of some sales clerk's time. Then the store's cut of the sale price plus the carrier's ongoing cut. Pretty soon you are talking big bucks.

    As to Google leaving out the FM radio to force users onto Google Play, that's just silly. There are any number of free or inexpensive options that do not involve Google services. Face it: FM radio is sinking fast, just like newspapers and print magazines.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by tebore View Post
    You again answered your own question. Those devices are $600+ flagships. The N5 is a mear $399.99 they're taken it out to save money. Flagships typically take the give the consumer everything and the kitchen sink approach.
    The N5 was designed very carefully to not include frivious things, but instead to promote the services and experience that Google wants the consumer to experience. Better camera was a top priority for Google. So they give the consumer a good camera, not the best but good. Faster internet and connectivity to push more services? Include AC wifi and an capable LTE radio with great power management.
    And of course the LG G2 has an MSD card. Too bad we don't all live in Korea.

    In Short: They took it out to save money and to push their own services which is what I stated in the first post.
    Wrong once again, because even budget phones such as the Moto G have an FM radio. If a $180 phone can have an FM radio and still profit the company every time it sells, surely Google could have put an FM radio in the Nexus 5.

    You seem to be going in circles with your logic. First you claim that the Nexus 5 doesn't have an FM radio to save costs. I disprove you by showing that even a $180 phone such as the Moto G has an FM radio, and every Moto G that sells profits Motorola.

    Next you claim that the reason why the Moto G has an FM radio is because it's low cost and for emerging markets. I disprove you once again by showing that many flagship expensive phones have FM radios, and none of those would fare well in emerging markets.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    There are some local stations that I enjoy listening to, but unfortunately, I cannot access those stations on Tunein or Iheartradio. Having an FM radio avoids having to use data, and also in case of emergency where cell towers are down, the FM radio capability can truly be a lifesaver. My old Sony Ericcson feature phone, I think i300w, had FM radio. Some of the international versions of the Android phones have FM radio. Maybe an S3 variant or the prior HTC One (before the newest metal body), but I can't remember. I think I read on GSMarena that the LG Optimus Pro tested had an FM radio, but it may have been the international one.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by shyam sundar kulkarni View Post
    Hello,

    I got Nexus 5 and it does not have an App to play Local FM radio, even a 1.5 K phone will be able to play FM radio without any internet and why Nexus 5 does not have this basic feature ? Please help me with some suggestions/alternatives.

    Thanks,
    Shyam
    TuneIn PRO is pretty good. You can set radio to record at a specific time. I get everything I need with TuneIn and Stitcher.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  20. #20  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by tebore View Post
    Moto G doesn't have a 4.95" 1080P Screen,
    No LTE
    8/16 Storage vs 16/32
    No NFC
    No OIS or BSI 5MP shooter.
    Slower CPU/GPU/ Half the RAM
    No AC Wifi / Single channel N.
    No Qi charging

    But you're right it has an FM radio. Totally the same league of phone and target market.

    Also the Moto G is targeted for the emerging market where there's limited mobile internet. Exactly where FM radio would work but not cloud based storage and music.
    You think they'd put in all the things you mentioned above and leave out something like an FM radio in order to "cut costs"? I don't. It's easy to assign a default answer to everything Nexus and just say: "They did it to cut costs." I doubt that's true the majority of the time though. I understand there ARE trade-offs to making the Nexus so cheap, but if they left out an fm transmitter to cut costs why do the majority of other manufacturers leave them out too when cost isn't a factor? I think a more accurate answer would simply be: "Google isn't pushing FM capabilities like they are other music services."
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  21. #21  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post

    As to Google leaving out the FM radio to force users onto Google Play, that's just silly. There are any number of free or inexpensive options that do not involve Google services. Face it: FM radio is sinking fast, just like newspapers and print magazines.
    Just like expandable storage is sinking fast? It must be due to lack of consumer interest, right? Also the same reason why removable batteries are disappearing fast - because consumers would prefer a disposable device when the battery wears out from a couple years of usage, right?

    Back in the day, all phones - from the lowest $20 phone to $600 flagship phones - had expandable storage and removable batteries. Manufacturers didn't remove them to save costs - they removed them to drive up revenue.

    Same reason why Google doesn't put FM radio into their phones. Why give consumers an option to listen to music for free when they can force them to pay for it instead?
  22. #22  
    tebore's Avatar

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    Wrong once again, because even budget phones such as the Moto G have an FM radio. If a $180 phone can have an FM radio and still profit the company every time it sells, surely Google could have put an FM radio in the Nexus 5.

    You seem to be going in circles with your logic. First you claim that the Nexus 5 doesn't have an FM radio to save costs. I disprove you by showing that even a $180 phone such as the Moto G has an FM radio, and every Moto G that sells profits Motorola.

    Next you claim that the reason why the Moto G has an FM radio is because it's low cost and for emerging markets. I disprove you once again by showing that many flagship expensive phones have FM radios, and none of those would fare well in emerging markets.
    Just so we're clear you didn't disprove me you only served to further prove my point.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by tebore View Post
    Just so we're clear you didn't disprove me you only served to further prove my point.
    I don't think we're convinced that you know what your point is. I responded to a post you made earlier, and then as I read on your argument changed entirely. So i'm not sure now if you're saying they did it to cut cost, or if you're saying that it's about appeal to emerging markets. I still don't think they worry about 1080p screens and Snapdragon 800's in order to appeal to an emerging market AND cut cost. The two would go hand in hand if the phone as a whole represented your point. But it just doesn't.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  24. #24  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    Quote Originally Posted by tebore View Post
    Just so we're clear you didn't disprove me you only served to further prove my point.
    Just so we're clear, you really have no idea what you're trying to say.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: No FM Radio in Nexus 5

    This thread is just developing into a flame war. The original poster has not been back and all they wanted was an alternative to an actual FM radio, ie; probably a streaming app such as Pandora, Songza, Google All Play Music, etc.

    Please stop!
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Apps not appearing in 'Recent apps'
    By NoraMelua in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 10:10 AM
  2. Difference in chargers
    By Shaun_C in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 04:48 AM
  3. DESPERATELY trying to buy NExus 10 3G 32gb in Malaysia
    By JesseKL-Mysia in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 02:56 PM
  4. No portals in highway rest stops?
    By toddjy in forum Ingress General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 04:27 AM
  5. Changed to new gmail account in existing phone.
    By mufc_rao in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 03:54 AM

Posting Permissions

B