Nexus 5 activation on Sprint

amva55

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
What a nightmare. Got my Nexus 5 directly from Google and went to my local Sprint store to activate it. 3 of the reps there weren't able to advice about the SIM card. They said they didn't have any SIM cards at the location and that My N5 wasn't a Sprint phone and would not work with Sprint. One even said that a guy that works for Google came the other day to this store and they couldn't help him. I called Sprint Care and after 3 tries, the last rep I talked to, told me I needed to talk to their International outfit to get the SIM card and he transferred me, They placed the order for the SIM card and received yesterday and when I tried to activate it on line, got a prompt to start a chat session, which ended by itself without getting the chance to chat with anyone. So I called and the Rep this time told me the system wouldn't accept the SIM card, that she was going to transfer me to sales to fix it and then I lost the connection and was time, anyway, to go to work. I just dread to call again.:(

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I sympathize with you. It's horrible to buy a phone and then have to put in so much time and frustration into activating it. Sprint is not a good company when it comes to solving problems for it's customers. I've had the same problem when buying a used phone and after returning it because I couldn't activate it, I find out that no one at Sprint knew what they were talking about and I could have had it activated. Exchanging it for a new phone might be your best bet.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you have the 32 GB version this could have led to some confusion since Sprint doesn't offer that model. Still, over a month since the device has been released and able to be activated on the network should be enough time to clear up these types of activation issues present during the first few days of Nexus 5 availability.

Regarding the SIM card, you just need to try another store, preferably a Sprint Corporate location since those were the only stores I was told to be carrying SIM cards.

Let us know how the activation goes.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a 32 GB from Google. My local Sprint store had plenty of SIM cards. But they told me I would have to call Sprint in order to activate.

On my first call to Sprint, I was told it was illegal to have an unlocked phone on Sprint and there was no such thing as a Sprint SIM card.

On 3 more calls I was told that you could only activate a Nexus 5 phone purchased from Sprint.

Finally on the 5th call I got someone that knew what was going on. He activated my phone quickly and efficiently and I was up and running.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I sympathize with you. It's horrible to buy a phone and then have to put in so much time and frustration into activating it. Sprint is not a good company when it comes to solving problems for it's customers. I've had the same problem when buying a used phone and after returning it because I couldn't activate it, I find out that no one at Sprint knew what they were talking about and I could have had it activated. Exchanging it for a new phone might be your best bet.

You must go to a "Corporate Store" and see the technician there. It took me 2 stores in the past back in Novemeber and this was when the phone just was introduced. I also ordered mine through Sprint Worlkd Wide and it fianllay arrived, after I found it in the store.lol

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That sucks. You need to go to a "corporate store" or a "repair store" they will do it for you easily. I got my N5 the 1st week of November and I went to a repair store, it was set up in 10 mins

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What a nightmare. Got my Nexus 5 directly from Google and went to my local Sprint store to activate it. 3 of the reps there weren't able to advice about the SIM card. They said they didn't have any SIM cards at the location and that My N5 wasn't a Sprint phone and would not work with Sprint. One even said that a guy that works for Google came the other day to this store and they couldn't help him. I called Sprint Care and after 3 tries, the last rep I talked to, told me I needed to talk to their International outfit to get the SIM card and he transferred me, They placed the order for the SIM card and received yesterday and when I tried to activate it on line, got a prompt to start a chat session, which ended by itself without getting the chance to chat with anyone. So I called and the Rep this time told me the system wouldn't accept the SIM card, that she was going to transfer me to sales to fix it and then I lost the connection and was time, anyway, to go to work. I just dread to call again.:(

Find a Sprint owned store.... Not just a Sprint Authorized seller/store... The corporate owned stores specifically ones that do in house repairs are your best bet in getting a SIM card.. I know I got my 32 gig from Google Play and before they could activate it they had to submit the serial number of the phone in to get it added to their system.. Sprint is notoriously famous for not allowing unlocked phones on their network and the N5 (if I am not mistaken) is the first time they've allowed them... but their system was only loaded with the 16 gig at launch because that is what they sell... pretty much all 32 gig serial numbers were left out and they had to be manually added on a case by case basis (although you'd THINK they'd have that cleared up almost two months later)

ToddPsyD

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I got a SIM card and was able to activate my 32 gb N5 without issue through the sprint chat yesterday. I was thinking they had gotten the issues cleared up, but doesnt look like it from this thread!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I got a SIM card and was able to activate my 32 gb N5 without issue through the sprint chat yesterday. I was thinking they had gotten the issues cleared up, but doesnt look like it from this thread!
Yeah, I would have through the same thing. Well, hopefully things get sorted out for good soon so future users don't run into the same issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood