Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Lightbulb Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)

    Putting this out there to help others in the same boat.

    Initial Problem: Originally, I had the galaxy nexus on sprint and I was able to get free tethering using PdaNet App for my laptop (I have the unlimited data family plan). This last month I upgraded to the Nexus 5 on Sprint, which I had been anticipating. However, upon setting everything up with the Nexus 5 I found that I was unable to tether my laptop to my phone's internet. Computer would connect both on usb and wifi, but internet would not get through to the laptop for more than 20 seconds. Upon examining forums I found that it seems the carriers (including Sprint) and Google are working together to limit tethering to people who have purchased the hotspot addition plans. (I'm of the mentality that I pay for unlimited data, hence I should get it no matter how I use the data.)

    Solution's tried: I rooted my phone, installed many tethering aps (CWM tether, WiFi Tether, FoxFi, etc.), even changed rom to Cataclysm. Nothing was working. I eventually found some solutions for nexus 5 users on TMO. Essentially, the solution is the "tether_dun_required" hack which is becoming quite common on the this and other android forums. Nevertheless, the hack did not work. I still was unable to get more than 20 seconds of tether before it cut out for my laptop.

    Solution: I just found a solution which worked for me on xda, from the user busstomper [xda Link]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48588280&postcount=18 [/URL]. His/her tether was not working after upgrading to Android 4.4.2. He/she decided to replace the current settings.db file with an older one from before the android upgrade (I assume it also had the "tether_dun_required" hack). Upon doing this his/her tethering capabilities were working. He/she didn't have a clue why it worked but he/she did mention that when replacing the settings.db file the settings.db-journal file (which is in the same folder) was erased. Well, I decided to erase my settings.db-journal file (after I backed the settings.db and settings.db-journal files, of course) and lone behold my tethering worked. For the more programming literate people out there, maybe you can explain why this works.

    My free tethering is working now, so I'm happy. For all other Nexus 5 Sprint users out there, hopefully this helps.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)

    ^^This^^ or purchase WiFi tether router from the play store if you want to go through an app. Also, no root is required.
    Last edited by ludesleep; 12-19-2013 at 10:25 AM.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)

    Quote Originally Posted by ludesleep View Post
    ^^This^^ or purchase WiFi tether router from the play store if you want to go through an app. Also, no root is required.
    According to play store description root is required for this app?
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)

    Quote Originally Posted by dj188us View Post
    Putting this out there to help others in the same boat.

    Initial Problem: Originally, I had the galaxy nexus on sprint and I was able to get free tethering using PdaNet App for my laptop (I have the unlimited data family plan). This last month I upgraded to the Nexus 5 on Sprint, which I had been anticipating. However, upon setting everything up with the Nexus 5 I found that I was unable to tether my laptop to my phone's internet. Computer would connect both on usb and wifi, but internet would not get through to the laptop for more than 20 seconds. Upon examining forums I found that it seems the carriers (including Sprint) and Google are working together to limit tethering to people who have purchased the hotspot addition plans. (I'm of the mentality that I pay for unlimited data, hence I should get it no matter how I use the data.)

    Solution's tried: I rooted my phone, installed many tethering aps (CWM tether, WiFi Tether, FoxFi, etc.), even changed rom to Cataclysm. Nothing was working. I eventually found some solutions for nexus 5 users on TMO. Essentially, the solution is the "tether_dun_required" hack which is becoming quite common on the this and other android forums. Nevertheless, the hack did not work. I still was unable to get more than 20 seconds of tether before it cut out for my laptop.

    Solution: I just found a solution which worked for me on xda, from the user busstomper [xda Link]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48588280&postcount=18 [/URL]. His/her tether was not working after upgrading to Android 4.4.2. He/she decided to replace the current settings.db file with an older one from before the android upgrade (I assume it also had the "tether_dun_required" hack). Upon doing this his/her tethering capabilities were working. He/she didn't have a clue why it worked but he/she did mention that when replacing the settings.db file the settings.db-journal file (which is in the same folder) was erased. Well, I decided to erase my settings.db-journal file (after I backed the settings.db and settings.db-journal files, of course) and lone behold my tethering worked. For the more programming literate people out there, maybe you can explain why this works.

    My free tethering is working now, so I'm happy. For all other Nexus 5 Sprint users out there, hopefully this helps.
    As u can see I tether well above 2.5gb and I never had to do all of that. T-Mobile does the same thing when u try to tether beyond the limit and before they let everybody tether on any plan. All u have to do is download wifi tether for root users and tweak the settings and download the app u see on top. Hot spot shield works for me but its plenty others.

    Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)-uploadfromtaptalk1387406905005.jpg  
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)

    My bad I forgot I factory reset my phone last night lol but I have tethered about 10gb this month.

    Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)

    I tried WiFi tether. It did not work, which is why I did this. It works now...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)

    Quote Originally Posted by Central n ohios best View Post
    As u can see I tether well above 2.5gb and I never had to do all of that. T-Mobile does the same thing when u try to tether beyond the limit and before they let everybody tether on any plan. All u have to do is download wifi tether for root users and tweak the settings and download the app u see on top. Hot spot shield works for me but its plenty others.

    Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)
    Just to clarify, I posted this for Sprint users. I noticed that there are differences between Nexus 5 settings depending upon whether one is subscribed to TMO or Sprint (may be because of gsm vs cdma, really it's just a guess). For example, the "mobile settings" tab is different for GSM vs. my Sprint (CDMA) Nexus 5. See below.

    GSM Nexus 5
    Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)-gsmnexus5.png

    My Sprint Nexus 5
    Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)-sprintnexus5.jpg

    It seems that various providers (e.g. TMO, Sprint, etc) affects Nexus 5 settings differently, and may be the reason another (or modified) workaround is needed to get free tethering up and running. The workaround in my op worked for my Sprint Nexus 5. I'd like to know if other Sprint Nexus 5 users find this helpful.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)

    Its not gonna just work right off bat u have to tweak the settings to which model phone u have. Believe me it works.

    Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Sprint Nexus 5 free tethering (Solution)

    Quote Originally Posted by dj188us View Post
    Just to clarify, I posted this for Sprint users. I noticed that there are differences between Nexus 5 settings depending upon whether one is subscribed to TMO or Sprint (may be because of gsm vs cdma, really it's just a guess). For example, the "mobile settings" tab is different for GSM vs. my Sprint (CDMA) Nexus 5. See below.

    GSM Nexus 5
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GSMNexus5.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	97440

    My Sprint Nexus 5
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SprintNexus5.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	97441

    It seems that various providers (e.g. TMO, Sprint, etc) affects Nexus 5 settings differently, and may be the reason another (or modified) workaround is needed to get free tethering up and running. The workaround in my op worked for my Sprint Nexus 5. I'd like to know if other Sprint Nexus 5 users find this helpful.
    These are the same apps I used on my sprint gnex I just recently got rid off. It used to do the exact same thing your 5 was doing when trying to tether. Sprint blocking it isnt new they did me like that last year.

    Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

Similar Threads

  1. Sprint Galaxy S3 - Assistive Light
    By kmurray6155 in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 02:06 PM
  3. [FREE] 100 Codes Bonus
    By kero innovation in forum Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 06:09 PM
  4. [GAME] [FREE] Remove the web
    By AlexanderMiroch in forum Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 06:06 PM
  5. Selling Nexus 4 Brand New
    By jdpj2008 in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions