Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Unhappy Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Hello Folks,

    I am having issues with my WIFI on my home broadband router using my new Nexus 5 phone.

    When I run a speed test using the Ookla App, I regularly get speeds of around 14 Mbps which is expected and is ample for my usage.
    However, regularly this will drop down to around 1 Mbps and as expected many steaming application run slow i.e. Netflix, Youtube etc.

    When I carry out speed test on other devices (Nexus 7 and Laptop) the speed is showing 14 Mbps. Therefore I have isolated the issue to my Nexus 5 device.
    I have discovered when I do a soft reset on my router by logging into the router’s settings and applying a channel it will shoot my speed back up to 14 Mbps on the Nexus 5.
    However, I need to do this three/four times a night to keep my speeds up, so I am looking for a more permanent fix.

    Does anyone know a reason why this would be happening? Could it be an app, nexus 5 wifi settings or anything else?

    I have spoken to my service provider and because my router is receiving and transmitting a good signal and broadband speed they have advised that the issue lies specifically with the Nexus 5 device.

    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

    Kyle
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    can't say exactly but i don't think its nexus problem ......... :O try factory resetting your nexus and then try to..... if still you ran onto such problems then its definitely nexus is the problem.
    Kelly Burby
    Senior Web Analyst
    website: http://www.rapidsofttechnologies.com
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by iku04108 View Post
    Hello Folks,

    I am having issues with my WIFI on my home broadband router using my new Nexus 5 phone.

    When I run a speed test using the Ookla App, I regularly get speeds of around 14 Mbps which is expected and is ample for my usage.
    However, regularly this will drop down to around 1 Mbps and as expected many steaming application run slow i.e. Netflix, Youtube etc.

    When I carry out speed test on other devices (Nexus 7 and Laptop) the speed is showing 14 Mbps. Therefore I have isolated the issue to my Nexus 5 device.
    I have discovered when I do a soft reset on my router by logging into the router’s settings and applying a channel it will shoot my speed back up to 14 Mbps on the Nexus 5.
    However, I need to do this three/four times a night to keep my speeds up, so I am looking for a more permanent fix.

    Does anyone know a reason why this would be happening? Could it be an app, nexus 5 wifi settings or anything else?

    I have spoken to my service provider and because my router is receiving and transmitting a good signal and broadband speed they have advised that the issue lies specifically with the Nexus 5 device.

    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

    Kyle
    I get more consistent results and it connects faster with my network when the wifi frequency band is set to "2.4GHz only" versus "Auto' in advanced wifi settings.
    "Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"
    AT&T HTC One X 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ ElementalX, Nexus 5 32GB, Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Get a new router. Small home equipment is notoriously bad with ancient buggy code.

    I recently flashed one of the supported models with cerowrt, the most sophisticated and up to date code out there for SOHO.

    I am nailing my FiOS caps (25down 5up).

    Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)-uploadfromtaptalk1387457363048.jpg

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Have you checked for a firmware update for the router?
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Have you checked for a firmware update for the router?
    That is what I think the issue is that his router doesn't have the latest firmware updates. The Nexus 5 has a 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi that is very new standard.
    802.11ac is backwards compatible with 802.11b, g and n. This means you can buy an 802.11ac-equipped device and it will work just fine with your existing router. However the best speed transfer can only come with a router that is 802.11ac to the Nexus 5. If you router firmware isn't up to the current level the Nexus 5 could be causing errors with your router trying to talk 802.11ac when the router doesn't recognize that 802.11ac standard.

    Last edited by Shilohcane; 12-19-2013 at 09:49 AM.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    I'm only using 5GHz n and I am rocking and rolling. Most folks don't have enough bandwidth to use ac vs n.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Also, check if openwrt has a firmware for your router. That will be miles better than anything the manufacturer releases.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    If your Nexus 5 is the only device that is having a issue with slow down on your home network, I think it's safe to say it's Nexus specific.
    I would definitely suggest that you try a different WiFi network, for example, your local AT&T store. If you're having the same issue there, I think it's safe to say it's your phone. I recently had a similar issue however all devices in my home we're slowing down. I use apple base station extreme routers primarily however I have other brands that I used to test with. The fix for me ended up being a simple modem swap by my ISP.

    Posted by Nexus 5 and the Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    I agree with the last poster. However, I just wonder if this is an issue with ALL Nexus 5 devices or not.

    In order to see if there's an issue or not, N5 needs to be compared to another device. Simply because you get xx mbps, doesn't mean much...
    In my case it's very fast when I'm closer to the router, but being 30-40ft away is another story. I also tested public wifi and it was much slower than Nokia 521

    Check out this link -
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by nikon5400 View Post
    I agree with the last poster. However, I just wonder if this is an issue with ALL Nexus 5 devices or not.

    In order to see if there's an issue or not, N5 needs to be compared to another device. Simply because you get xx mbps, doesn't mean much...
    In my case it's very fast when I'm closer to the router, but being 30-40ft away is another story. I also tested public wifi and it was much slower than Nokia 521

    Check out this link -
    Hey,

    I did explain I tested on my nexus 7 and laptop. Same spot, same time and the speeds were drastically different.

    Firmware up to date on router and tried all the ideas above bar buying new router. I suspect it may be as suggested the comparability between nexus 5 ac wireless and the router. The nexus 7 does not have ac and its wireless is fine so its one difference that might be a good indicator.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Please keep us updated. I'd be interested to know how you resolve the issue. Thx.

    Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    I disagree with blaming the Nexus. It may be attempting to use a WiFi feature or speed improvement method not used by your other devices. It may be doing it correctly and your router is behaving badly. Home router code is buggy and on the order of 5+ years behind where it should be. It's counterintuitive to blame more modern and better maintained devices+code.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Gwaron 
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by theduder View Post
    I disagree with blaming the Nexus. It may be attempting to use a WiFi feature or speed improvement method not used by your other devices. It may be doing it correctly and your router is behaving badly. Home router code is buggy and on the order of 5+ years behind where it should be. It's counterintuitive to blame more modern and better maintained devices+code.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    It was not really a case for blaming the nexus 5, I just wanted to understand why this device was bahaving in this manner.

    If its issues between my router and the nexus then I totally agree - update my out-of-date router...

    However, I was kinda hoping there could be a fix without forking out for new equipment.

    Kyle
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by iku04108 View Post
    It was not really a case for blaming the nexus 5, I just wanted to understand why this device was bahaving in this manner.

    If its issues between my router and the nexus then I totally agree - update my out-of-date router...

    However, I was kinda hoping there could be a fix without forking out for new equipment.

    Kyle
    Yeah, I wasn't addressing your comments when I posted that. I think you should get to the bottom of it no matter where it leads.

    Just don't expect a good outcome without addressing the elephant in the room - the generally miserable state of home routers.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by iku04108 View Post
    Hey,

    I did explain I tested on my nexus 7 and laptop. Same spot, same time and the speeds were drastically different.

    Firmware up to date on router and tried all the ideas above bar buying new router. I suspect it may be as suggested the comparability between nexus 5 ac wireless and the router. The nexus 7 does not have ac and its wireless is fine so its one difference that might be a good indicator.
    Sorry, I wasn't referring to you in particular. I just heard on other forums ppl claiming they get fantastic wifi speeds on their N5 and all I'm saying is - you don't really know how good it is unless you compare to another device and you have to compare from farther away or with hotspot.
    Last edited by nikon5400; 12-20-2013 at 12:30 PM.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by theduder View Post
    I disagree with blaming the Nexus. It may be attempting to use a WiFi feature or speed improvement method not used by your other devices. It may be doing it correctly and your router is behaving badly. Home router code is buggy and on the order of 5+ years behind where it should be. It's counterintuitive to blame more modern and better maintained devices+code.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Well, I think nexus is to blame. It can use whatever, but it shouldn't be slower than all other wifi devices in your home ... and it shouldn't be slower when tested with all routers you have at your home (in my case it's 3 routers - westell, dlink615, wd net600)... and it shouldn't be slower when tested with free hot spot (xfinity, not sure what they use and how far it's located, but it was installed recently). I don't have ac routers, but it's slower at g, b, n and whatever free hot spot uses...

    Check out this link -
    Last edited by nikon5400; 12-20-2013 at 12:35 PM.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by iku04108 View Post
    Hey,

    I did explain I tested on my nexus 7 and laptop. Same spot, same time and the speeds were drastically different.

    Firmware up to date on router and tried all the ideas above bar buying new router. I suspect it may be as suggested the comparability between nexus 5 ac wireless and the router. The nexus 7 does not have ac and its wireless is fine so its one difference that might be a good indicator.
    Even the Nexus 7 Wi-Fi is just Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5GHz) 802.11 a/b/g/n. The Nexus 5's Wi-Fi is 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac.

    My Nexus 5 with the Ooka speed test 15ms ping 18.65 Mbsp Download and 6.38 Mbps Uploads.

    What is your is your router brand and model number?
  19. #19  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by nikon5400 View Post
    Well, I think nexus is to blame. It can use whatever, but it shouldn't be slower than all other wifi devices in your home ... and it shouldn't be slower when tested with all routers you have at your home (in my case it's 3 routers - westell, dlink615, wd net600)... and it shouldn't be slower when tested with free hot spot (xfinity, not sure what they use and how far it's located, but it was installed recently). I don't have ac routers, but it's slower at g, b, n and whatever free hot spot uses...

    Check out this link -
    In my home network, my N5 is the fastest at sustained d/l speeds (compared against an iPhone 5, iPad Air). My router is a new high-end Asus.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaron View Post
    In my home network, my N5 is the fastest at sustained d/l speeds (compared against an iPhone 5, iPad Air). My router is a new high-end Asus.
    So can we assume its running 5ghz and ac?
  21. #21  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by iku04108 View Post
    So can we assume its running 5ghz and ac?
    Router has dual band, and all protocols. I'm basing my sustained download speeds by the process of downloading 4+GB HD movies. Not just basing on speed test apps.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Folks,

    Tonight I read that turning off mobile data and WiFi and then switching on WiFi on its on might be a fix.

    Something to do with a power saving mode.

    I have tried this and so far so good.

    I will keep you posted.

    Kyle
    Thanked by:
    Gwaron 
    Shilohcane likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    iku04108

    Try running your speed test at some other place like a Starbucks since they always have a pretty good Wi-Fi. If you get the same slower issues at two or three places then it pretty much proves it is the Nexus 5 and not your router. Then you should just get it RMA.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    iku04108

    Try running your speed test at some other place like a Starbucks since they always have a pretty good Wi-Fi. If you get the same slower issues at two or three places then it pretty much proves it is the Nexus 5 and not your router. Then you should just get it RMA.
    That's exactly what I did (in addition to tests at home). I used public wifi offered by xfinity to xfinity customers. N5 test results were much slower than Nokia 521
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by iku04108 View Post
    Folks,

    Tonight I read that turning off mobile data and WiFi and then switching on WiFi on its on might be a fix.

    Something to do with a power saving mode.

    I have tried this and so far so good.

    I will keep you posted.

    Kyle


    Nope, doesn't work for me

    Test 1.

    Test 2.

    Test 3.


    These speeds are horrible. Sometimes I get up to I believe 5mbps. But signal is going through 3-4, may be 5 walls.
    If I get upstarts, where router is, I'll get like 15mbps behind 2-3 walls.
    It's just weird how same obstructions differently affect performance on these devices. that's why I suspect the N5 wifi receiver is under-powered.

    And as I mentioned a few times already - same issue with hotspots. Download speeds may be much faster than these, but still much slower than on Nokia 521 and GS3

    P.S. By the way, I'm assuming you turning mobile data off one of the two ways (which seem to do the same thing) -

    Tap Settings.

    1. Tap Data usage
    2. Toggle Mobile data to OFF

    ---OR---

    1. Tap More.
    2. Tap Mobile networks.
    3. Tap to check or uncheck Data enabled.
    Last edited by nikon5400; 12-20-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Was "bb z10 test" article deleted from the news page?
    By cbfan123 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 06:29 AM
  2. Remembering WIFI key
    By Rick Nay in forum LG Optimus G Pro
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 08:17 PM
  3. Possible Solution to WiFi Connectivity Problems...
    By JohnNadeau in forum AT&T Galaxy S3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 05:11 PM
  4. Power button on nexus 4
    By Manoj Bhaskaran in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 03:48 PM
  5. My Nexus 7 2013 rattles when you tap it.
    By lucverhoeven in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 06:49 AM

Posting Permissions

B