Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Nexus 5 tops Gizmodo's list of best Android phones

They also include the Moto X and HTC One in the top tier.

Default Re: Nexus 5 tops Gizmodo's list of best Android phones

Woohoo ... I have a top tier phone ... at least for another couple of months
    Shilohcane and mrsmumbles like this.

I laughed at a few parts and scratched my head at others. They bash the S4 for being plastic and had no other reason, even though their top spot was reserved for a plastic phone....Then their reasons for why someone would buy the S4, were exactly why the iPhone is popular. Still an entertaining article, I just don't totally agree with it all.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Thanked by 2:
    clevinRy 
    Ry and mrsmumbles like this.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

It also took top Android phone on BGR.

mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdunn014 View Post
    It also took top Android phone on BGR.

That article sucked. I hate that they chose the iPhone 5s as the best smartphone, and then their whole entire argument was based on apps. It sounded like a comparison of the App Store vs. Google Play. I'm sorry but in 2013 the best smartphone should NOT have a 4" display I don't care how pretty the apps are. If 5" displays looked awful and 4" was the only HD option, I could see it. But come on......these massive screens look outstanding and using an iPhone 5s with it's miniscule screen is just a PITA.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Thanked by:
    clevin 
    JeffDenver and mrsmumbles like this.

I was stoked until I saw the iPhone 5s is the overall pick for best smartphone...because the apps are designed better? U-huh. One person's "better design" is another person's cartoon feel. But way to go, Nexus 5!
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    That article sucked. I hate that they chose the iPhone 5s as the best smartphone, and then their whole entire argument was based on apps. It sounded like a comparison of the App Store vs. Google Play. I'm sorry but in 2013 the best smartphone should NOT have a 4" display I don't care how pretty the apps are. If 5" displays looked awful and 4" was the only HD option, I could see it. But come on......these massive screens look outstanding and using an iPhone 5s with it's miniscule screen is just a PITA.
    To some it may be an issue having a smaller screen, but for others it may not be the case. Seeing as though using apps is such a large part of the overall experience with having a smartphone, I can see how they made that a deciding factor. But I do not agree that the iPhone 5S is the best smartphone. I would say that the best smartphone is the device that has the most capabilities. And that is not the iPhone. It may have the best overall experience though. I would definitely go with the Nexus 5 or the Note 3 for best smartphone.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.
    Thanked by:
    JeffDenver and mrsmumbles like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM

I laughed at a few parts and scratched my head at others. They bash the S4 for being plastic and had no other reason
    I know right? They should have bashed it for Touchwiz.

I like Samsung because they are the kitchen sink of Android phones. They have resisted the stupid and pointless trend away from SD and removable batteries.

Then their reasons for why someone would buy the S4, were exactly why the iPhone is popular. Still an entertaining article, I just don't totally agree with it all.
    I would take any Samsung Android phone over any iPhone. I have been forced to use iOS devices over the last few months because I am the go-to- guy in my family/friends for tech crap, and it is a nightmare every time. Everything in iOS is so tedious to do compared to Android. It takes lots of extra steps to do the same thing.

For this reason alone I am trying to convert them to Android. Just so it will be easier for me to help them in the future.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Battleship View Post
    I was stoked until I saw the iPhone 5s is the overall pick for best smartphone...because the apps are designed better? U-huh. One person's "better design" is another person's cartoon feel. But way to go, Nexus 5!
    I can kinda see their point. Apps are a big deal for the average user, and Apple still leads there, if only because their apps are more unified and consistent. Android will catch up eventually, but right now that is a strongpoint with Apple.

Android's strongpoint is customization and flexibility.

well at least both articles correctly named the best Android phone.
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    To some it may be an issue having a smaller screen, but for others it may not be the case. Seeing as though using apps is such a large part of the overall experience with having a smartphone, I can see how they made that a deciding factor. But I do not agree that the iPhone 5S is the best smartphone. I would say that the best smartphone is the device that has the most capabilities. And that is not the iPhone. It may have the best overall experience though. I would definitely go with the Nexus 5 or the Note 3 for best smartphone.

I agree with you about Apps playing a big role. That's definitely a factor and I can see them mentioning it. But they went into detail about how this app compared to that app and so on and so forth so much that it seemed more of a review of the app stores themselves and what they offer. iOS apps are great but if I can't see them without binocs, then I wont enjoy the experience too much. Mostly I just want to see Apple release a 4.5-5" screen on an iPhone. If they did that, I would honestly 100% agree that it was the best phone available. iOS still wouldn't be for me, but it would probably be the best. Personally, as much as I love my Nexus 5 I would say the Note 3 is probably the best smartphone available. Build quality, feature set, camera quality, screen quality, it's just got the whole package albeit massive in form factor.

I agree with you about Apps playing a big role. That's definitely a factor and I can see them mentioning it. But they went into detail about how this app compared to that app and so on and so forth so much that it seemed more of a review of the app stores themselves and what they offer. iOS apps are great but if I can't see them without binocs, then I wont enjoy the experience too much. Mostly I just want to see Apple release a 4.5-5" screen on an iPhone. If they did that, I would honestly 100% agree that it was the best phone available. iOS still wouldn't be for me, but it would probably be the best. Personally, as much as I love my Nexus 5 I would say the Note 3 is probably the best smartphone available. Build quality, feature set, camera quality, screen quality, it's just got the whole package albeit massive in form factor.
    I think that everyone is waiting for a bigger iPhone. We will see what Apple does.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I know right? They should have bashed it for Touchwiz.

I like Samsung because they are the kitchen sink of Android phones. They have resisted the stupid and pointless trend away from SD and removable batteries.

I would take any Samsung Android phone over any iPhone. I have been forced to use iOS devices over the last few months because I am the go-to- guy in my family/friends for tech crap, and it is a nightmare every time. Everything in iOS is so tedious to do compared to Android. It takes lots of extra steps to do the same thing.

For this reason alone I am trying to convert them to Android. Just so it will be easier for me to help them in the future.
    I agree 100%. I just love when I hear Samsung and Apple owners saying that people with the opposite device is only buying it because of marketing and social status. They both are. I also prefer TouchWiz Android to iOS as I quite enjoyed my S3 and currently my Note 10.1. But man it's nice to be on the Nexus platform now and not have to deal with either. I don't HATE TW like some people do, but I really appreciate the Nexus feel.
    madlaw1071 likes this.

Pretty much nothing but personal preference... I don't feel the Eco and App systems are that dramatically different between IOS and Android (My wife and daughter are iPhone/iPad users) if anything it's a neck and neck race.... Some applications work better on Android and some work better on IOS.... People want to go out of there way to split hairs on which has the most useful apps and at the end of the day they are both really good overall experiences....

There are things and features I think Apple does better and there are things and features I think Android does better... Apple has more tightly woven Eco system... With Android being open source you have every MFG out there trying to add on their own touches and even trying to get you into their own services as well.... It creates a confusion when you go from one Android device to another..... You can pretty much go from the iPhone 4 - 5C/S and not really tell much of a difference at all (If any) because it's more uniform... but try going from a Samsung Galaxy/Touchwiz device to an HTC/Sense Device to a Nexus Device..... dramatically difference experiences.... I've done IOS, Touchwiz, Sense and Nexus.... My personal preference is the Nexus line.... It's why my GS3 and EVO were both rooted devices to unload Touchwiz and Sense..... but they have some nice features about them as well...

You just have to do your research and figure out what is best for your needs... I'd say most people just want to text, read email and take pictures of their kids/cats/dogs/selfie to post to some social media site.... lol....
    Nexus 5, 32 gig, Black... Nexus 7 (2013)

I agree 100%. I just love when I hear Samsung and Apple owners saying that people with the opposite device is only buying it because of marketing and social status. They both are. I also prefer TouchWiz Android to iOS as I quite enjoyed my S3 and currently my Note 10.1. But man it's nice to be on the Nexus platform now and not have to deal with either. I don't HATE TW like some people do, but I really appreciate the Nexus feel.
    There are a lot of things about TouchWiz that I really like. But I also like stock Android. One of the things that I like about the Nexus devices over Samsung devices is the on screen buttons. I know it takes up some of the screen. But I do prefer it to having wobbly or unresponsive buttons and dimly lit capacitive buttons like on some Samsung devices.

Lol at the G2 being in the third tier. That list is preposterous and blasphemous.
    madlaw1071 and mrsmumbles like this.

I have AudioManger app on Android that lets me create sound profiles and a widget to switch between Normal/Vibrate/Silent. iOS will never give me that. Oh and the email & calendar widgets that I can make to take the entire screen.

This is gospel right here.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by blazer236ix View Post
    Lol at the G2 being in the third tier. That list is preposterous and blasphemous.
    The G2 is an awesome phone, but I can see how the funky button placement would annoy some people. I also don't like LG's skin and LG has a really bad history when it comes to OS upgrades/support. They burned me bad on the Spectrum.

They make awesome hardware though. The Spectrum had the best display of any phone in it's generation. Even by today's standards it would look great.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie317 View Post
    You can pretty much go from the iPhone 4 - 5C/S and not really tell much of a difference at all (If any) because it's more uniform...
    To be fair, you could say the exact same thing about Google devices. Going from a Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5 would not be much of a shock either (hell, KitKat runs almost as well on a Galaxy nexus). The Nexus is the Android analog to the iPhone. If you stay in the nexus line, you will have the same experience on Android as on Apple.

The difference is that You have other alternatives besides the Nexus on Android. On Apple you have none.
    Thanked by:

I don't know how any site could pick any Apple phone as the top phone with that tiny screen. Most Android flagship phones have more pixels than Apple. I really don't know why these sites won't use price as a major factor since you can buy two Nexus 5 for the cost of one iPhone 5s and still have extra money. Apple doesn't even make a phone that supports Sprint's tri-mode LTE 'Spark' service which the Nexus 5 does. Apple is a walled garden environment that should cost them points in judging just like it hurts Amazon Kindle. There is no basic differences in quality of phone call or texting or streaming music or in quantity or quality of Apps. Camera is subjective but Apple doesn't have the best camera phone.

I broke out of Apples prison environment and I will never go back.
    Last edited by Shilohcane; 12-20-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

I am in a fairly unique situation in that my personal phone is a Nexus and my work phone is an iPhone.

While there things that drive me nuts about iOS (and there are many), there are things that make me go I understand why less tech centric people like Apple.

Gizmodo is basically saying that a handset is better due the ecosystem it lives in and there is an argument there but it is a fairly weak one in my opinion if one is judging hardware.

Looking at strictly hardware Apple is IMHO squarely in the upper middle, but it is well made and works without any noticeable issues.

Would I give the #1 spot? No, but there are many who would without hesitation.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    To be fair, you could say the exact same thing about Google devices. Going from a Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5 would not be much of a shock either (hell, KitKat runs almost as well on a Galaxy nexus). The Nexus is the Android analog to the iPhone. If you stay in the nexus line, you will have the same experience on Android as on Apple.

The difference is that You have other alternatives besides the Nexus on Android. On Apple you have none.
    Yeah I didn't say it in as many words but I prefer the Nexus line....I went from the iPhone to the Nexus 1 and then both EVO's and my GS3 were both rooted and returned to stockish/Nexus like state (mostly because the Nexus S on Sprint was a waste) and I have not looked back from stock Android. The only problem I've found with the Nexus line so far is that it's been limited to certain carriers/Google play... It does seem with each passing year they are getting better about making it more open across the board with carriers... Was glad that Sprint finally accepted a unlocked phone on their network and that Google made the N5 open to everyone but Verizon.... although that seems more of a Verizon decision than anything else....

Nexus 5 is by far my favorite phone... I love my Nexus 7.... I like where Google and Android are going.... Purely in my opinion Google and Android in general is evolving more rapidly than IOS has been.... But IOS keeps Android honest (and vice versa).... They both push each other to be better... You have to have them both.... Having competing manufactures and software options forces each to evolve and get better or end up like Blackberry.............
    Nexus 5, 32 gig, Black... Nexus 7 (2013)

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

I own the HTC one, moto x & nexus 5. All three great devices. If I had to only keep one it would be the moto x hands down. Not that I don't love the nexus 5 and It really is growing on me as is the new GEL.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

Of interest I like where Android is going, I cannot say the same about Google as they seem to want to force people into Google + and for somebody who does not use Social Media (for many reasons), it is starting to become an issue and one place where Apple and iOS (at least for now are taking divergent paths).

Dan

Posted via Android Central App
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast