Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LuvMusic
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Playing .wma music files

Apparently the Nexus 5 doesn't come with the ability to play Windows format .wma music files. What is the best music app that has this ability?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Playing .wma music files

PowerAmp is pretty awesome... "plays mp3, mp4/m4a (incl. alac), ogg, wma*, flac, wav, ape, wv, tta, mpc, aiff (* some wma pro files may require NEON support)"

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks! I followed your link to PowerAmp. 10 million plus downloads and 4.6 stars. It certainly looks like best of breed.

That inability to play .wma files was the last straw for me. I just gave up and stopped fighting the battle. Converted all my music (not a lot) over to mp3s with freac:

Thanked by:
    Jonneh 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by David Lessnau View Post
    That inability to play .wma files was the last straw for me. I just gave up and stopped fighting the battle. Converted all my music (not a lot) over to mp3s with freac:

I'm not willing to convert from the high quality of .wma files. I have the free version of PowerAmp playing. wma files just fine and if I donít find anything I like better in two weeks, I'll spend the paltry couple of bucks to purchase it.

Anyone have a music app to recommend?

I've been an android audiophile since my OG Droid days. "Kissed alot of frogs" in my journey. You have found your "prince." You've got the best, forget the rest. Geee, do you think I'm a little biased?
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I've been going back and forth between PowerAmp and Neutron. At this point I'm giving a decided edge to Neutron. Take a look and see what you think.

I've looked at Neutron and I did look again. The interface is very nice and technically it seems to moving in the right direction. It does seems to be a less mature product. One of the aspects of Poweramp that I believe is invaluable is that it is a very mature product with a very active community. Max (the lead programmer for Poweramp) is in his forum constantly looking for issues to address and how to improve functionality. In fact, it is not uncommon for him to respond personally to posts.

Another feature I did not see is the ability to skin the player. Poweramp's community has developed dozens of skins for the player making it easy to match it with the look and feel you created for your device.

I may check it out to see how it sounds though. Thanks for the tip. I haven't really auditioned many players in awhile because I am so satisfied with Poweramp.