Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Default Front facing Camera Option Disappeared

I do tons of hangouts with my family and I noticed that I cant select the front camera anymore, just the rear or no camera. Today I looked into it a little further and now I dont have the front camera option within the camera application. It was there like 2 or 3 days ago. Anyone else have this problem I am on 4.4.2 for about a week now so I am not 100% sure it was that broke the front camera. Any advice before I have to wipe??

Default Re: Front facing Camera Option Disappeared

With the main camera active, tap the icon at bottom right of screen to open camera settings then tap the camera switch icon on far right.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

I'd tried clearing the cache before doing a factory reset

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Lol N4Newbie- yeah I know where it is suppose to be but the option is no longer there.
    UJ95x- I tried that also with no luck.
    Here are some pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front facing Camera Option Disappeared-uploadfromtaptalk1387569038150.jpg  

Try settings/apps/all/camera and clear the cache and the data.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Try settings/apps/all/camera and clear the cache and the data.
    First thing I tried.

Short of a factory reset, I got nothing.....

I seem to recall this coming up once before, probably in the Nexus 4 forum. Perhaps a search there will turn up something.

Do you see it if you long press the screen when you first open the app?

Now that I think about, try this:

Don't open the camera with the usual icon which is probably at the bottom of your home page. Instead, tap the six-dot icon in the middle to open the app drawer and then tap the camera icon which you will find there. Does it work properly now?

If so, then your other icon is corrupt. Drag it to the trash and then replace it from the app drawer in the usual way.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Now that I think about, try this:

Don't open the camera with the usual icon which is probably at the bottom of your home page. Instead, tap the six-dot icon in the middle to open the app drawer and then tap the camera icon which you will find there. Does it work properly now?

If so, then your other icon is corrupt. Drag it to the trash and then replace it from the app drawer in the usual way.
    Not sure I understand why that would work. The icon is just a short cut to the app. All it does is launch the app.

I have definitely had issues of this sort with updated widgets and it is not entirely clear to me if the camera is a "standard" icon or a widget in disguise.

Here's another thought. Go to settings/apps, tap the 3 dots at the top right and choose reset app preferences.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

I got the phone RMA and got me a shine new one right now and broken one back to Google/LG

Hi.. I faced same issue...after few hours of using front camera via Skype video conferencing.. the front camera option disappeared.... I don't know how to bring it back.... could somebody help me out....!!! This is some common issue for Kit Kat....

Quote Originally Posted by Manish Kumar23 View Post
    Hi.. I faced same issue...after few hours of using front camera via Skype video conferencing.. the front camera option disappeared.... I don't know how to bring it back.... could somebody help me out....!!! This is some common issue for Kit Kat....
    As a temporary fix, wouldn't a third party camera app relieve this frustration?

Posted via Android Central App

It isn't clear to me if anyone with this problem actually tried a cache partition wipe (as opposed to clearing the Camera's app cache, which is different). Follow these steps: [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery

Can't read the article @ the link you posted. It's covered up by advertisement's. Is there another article with the same information?

- - - Updated - - -

Nope - installing a third part app had the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy E View Post
    Can't read the article @ the link you posted. It's covered up by advertisement's. Is there another article with the same information?
    The article is simply a post on the Android Central forums by one of our Ambassadors. The ad you see is something that comes up occasionally on Android Central--just click on the X at one of the corners to clear it out.

I have just noticed that I am having the exact same issue

have you found a solution to it yet???

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iLOVEhead View Post
    I do tons of hangouts with my family and I noticed that I cant select the front camera anymore, just the rear or no camera. Today I looked into it a little further and now I dont have the front camera option within the camera application. It was there like 2 or 3 days ago. Anyone else have this problem I am on 4.4.2 for about a week now so I am not 100% sure it was that broke the front camera. Any advice before I have to wipe??
    Hmmm. About a week ago while my camera app was open, the camera icon (to take pic) had disappeared. Very strange I thought. I was thinking it was because my battery was hovering around 20%. But after charging it, the icon was still missing. Then, a day later, it returned. No reboot or anything special.

Uhm. This might seem /too/ simple compared to other responses here, but worked for me! All I had to do was press the menu button, edit shortcuts and put the icon back. Somehow it seemed to have disappeared, but all good now. Hope this helps!

No, this has to do with updates. Somehow the software updates pushed by the network corrupted the front facing icon app and blew it away.

This is a known problem for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, VZ Wireless confirmed the icon/app is not backward compatible, so the only options are:

1) To wait for Motorola to fix it. When? Hopefully within a couple of weeks or who knows when? Contact Motorola

2) Trade in your Droid for a refurb BUT the refurb is susceptible to this same problem as subsequent software pushes probably will corrupt and destroy the icon at some point in time.

Best advice is to live w/o the front face option until Motorola fixes it.

Sucks

If post #22 solution doesn't help, why not install Google Camera from the play store.

Quote Originally Posted by droidwoman View Post
    No, this has to do with updates. Somehow the software updates pushed by the network corrupted the front facing icon app and blew it away.

This is a known problem for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, VZ Wireless confirmed the icon/app is not backward compatible, so the only options are:

1) To wait for Motorola to fix it. When? Hopefully within a couple of weeks or who knows when? Contact Motorola

2) Trade in your Droid for a refurb BUT the refurb is susceptible to this same problem as subsequent software pushes probably will corrupt and destroy the icon at some point in time.

Best advice is to live w/o the front face option until Motorola fixes it.

Sucks
    Except this is for the Nexus 5...

I'd try rolling back updates to the camera and seeing if that helps. If that does, try updating again and see if it breaks it again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast