Questions about Nexus 5

D_M89

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm thinking of finally upgrading my Samsung SII and getting a new Android. I'm PAYG so I'll have to pay out of pocket, but my options are only limited by what's available in the UK.

My main criteria for a new phone are that it have high enough specs to be reasonably futureproof, not be overly expensive and preferably be easier to root safely than Samsung devices so I can muck around with that more easily. Also a lack of bloatware would also be a plus, I'm sick of apps I can't delete and never use clogging up storage!

I thought of the Nexus phones, the 4 being an absolute bargain but the 5 being more futureproof but stretching the budget a bit to buy without a contract. The only big downside I can see is the lack of removable battery and microSD, but I gather those are sadly as rare as hen's teeth these days.

But I still have one very big concern: storage. Have you found it an issue with these phones? Also does the Nexus 5 partition its internal storage into system and storage compartments? If so that's a big minus, my current phone has a partition and it really detracts from the usability.

Anyway, thanks again.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It seems storage would depend on your own usages, do you have a lot music and movies you want to keep on the device?

@T-Mobile GN3

theravindra

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a Q10 for my work and a nexus5 for my home use and web related needs... As you can understand I use my work phone for my emails, texts, bbm, whatsapp and obviously for phonecalls... Leaving the nexus5 (3g network) for my net surfing, app based browsing, personal calls (1hr/day), maps, crackberry/android central/twitter/Facebook/ candy crush etc... I charge both phones once a day... By the end of the day I find both phones low on juice... But if the nexus5 had to handle my calls, emails and messaging as well, I don't think it would get me through the day... All said n done, I love the nexus5 and wouldn't give it up...

I'm thinking of buying a wireless charger so that I could charge the phone when I'm at my work desk and the phone is idle...

As for the storage part, 32 gigs are enough for my requirements... I don't save videos on my phone... Just music n photos.. I transfer old photos to my laptop n also delete what's not required...

Posted via Android Central App

D_M89

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I wouldn't be using the phone for music, I have a separate iPod (Classic) for that. With movies I've not used any of my current phones for them, never say never but I've no plans to keep too many (or any really) on there. I suppose that really my main concern with storage is just space for apps, not having to worry about deleting rarely used apps to save space and all that. That's really more to do with the size of the system partition (if there is one) rather than the total capacity, so I guess that's what's important.

Thanks for pointing out the battery life issues, that's a bit annoying, but as my current phone doesn't last a day without a charge I've had to grow to accept just carrying chargers around anyway :p

Thanks again to both of you!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If you have no plans to keep media on the phone the 32 gig model should be fine for two years (or more) without really having to clear caches. The 16gig model would probably get clogged, maybe slowed down without a lot of maintenance. I always would rather have more space than less.

I do keep media on my phones and the 32 gig is already feeling too cramped to me. I have to reformat the 64 gig microSD I bought before I can use it with the Meenova card reader. :/

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for pointing out the battery life issues, that's a bit annoying, but as my current phone doesn't last a day without a charge I've had to grow to accept just carrying chargers around anyway :p

Battery life issues? The N5 has the best battery life of any smartphone I've owned :)

I don't Facebook or play games on it for hours on end, but I do use it for phone, podcasting, internet, texts, emails, etc and I typically get 16-20 hours a day battery life with 20% remaining and a screen on time of 3-5 hours.

How can I complain about that!! As I'm typing this, the phone has 12.5 hours usage, screen time of about 2 hours, and 57% battery remaining.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
My main criteria for a new phone are that it have high enough specs to be reasonably futureproof
Nexus 5 is reasonably futureproof. 1080p display, LTE support, NFC, Great camera, top end CPU, and Vanilla Android.

not be overly expensive and preferably be easier to root safely than Samsung devices
It is both easier to root and far less expensive than comparable Samsung phones.

Also a lack of bloatware would also be a plus
Nexus never has bloat.

The only big downside I can see is the lack of removable battery and microSD, but I gather those are sadly as rare as hen's teeth these days.
Google wishes. Lots of vendors still use SD. But You will never find it on Google phones anymore. Google hates SD.

But I still have one very big concern: storage. Have you found it an issue with these phones?
I have found 32 gigs to be adequate. Note great, but good enough. And believe me, Google only even allowed a 32 gig option through gritted teeth. They do not want you to have local storage.

Also does the Nexus 5 partition its internal storage into system and storage compartments?
Not that I can tell. It is referred to internally as SD, but everything seems to be on one big drive.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech