Verizon GN owners how do you like N5 on AT&T?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon contract is up on the 28th and I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 5 and moving to AT&T. I'd like to hear from Verizon GN users who've made the move to N5 on AT&T. How do you feel about the N5 vs the GN and AT&T vs Verizon.

Thanks

TexasNexus1

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I moved to T Mobile on a month to month plan, going to also try AT&T next month before deciding. Love the N5! First notable improvement is the battery over GNex, getting full day with no problem, including 5-6 hours of voice/screen time. Rooted with Greenify app helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
What I decided to do is go to Straight Talk and get an AT&T compatible SIM. The number port went though just fine but I did have to wait a couple days for a new SIM card. The service has beed about what I expected and very comparable to Verizon around my home and work. I'm taking my first road trip later this week so I'll see how the coverage is as I get away from the twin cities.

kmod75

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I was already an AT&T customer and purchased the Nexus 5. Haven't had any issues to date. LTE service is good and call quality is fine. I've noticed I get one less bar compared to my stock AT&T phone, but nothing major past that. I'd recommend it.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
i moved from verizon to att, not from a galaxy nexus though - call quality and range in general is highly diminished. however, i love the phone and vzw phones never really did it for me.

one good thing about the move though, is that at&t has family share value plans - under this plan, if u don't sign a contract (i.e., at&t doesn't subsidize your phone, which they wouldn't since u're getting a nexus 5) the monthly plan is much cheaper.

Isamu982

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't be happier. I'm using a att sim card with straight talk and my hspa+ speeds match my old Verizon 4g speeds and my LTE speeds are about 27mps

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bob_loblaw_lawbomb

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
The call quality on att is little diminished, but the speeds are a lot faster than what I was getting with vzw and no issues with 4G to 3G handover. All in all, I'm very happy with the move.

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5 (actually used an s3 for a few months) to a T-Mobile Nexus 5. A huge world of difference. I am getting so much better service. So much faster and less buggy, I think Samsung just has the worst radios..

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
1. I've noticed I get one less bar compared to my stock AT&T phone, but nothing major past that. I'd recommend it.

2. I was already an AT&T customer and purchased the Nexus 5. Haven't had any issues to date. LTE service is good and call quality is fine.

1. You can't trust the bars. Each phone has a different algorithm to show the signal and I would bet AT&T branded phones are designed to show better signal than they really get. The most reliable way is to go to settings > About Phone > Status > Signal Strength.

2. I have noticed that overall LTE coverage isn't quite as good as stock AT&T phones but I can't complain. Plus it's my opinion AT&T phones like to lie when they are on LTE. I was with a friend in a part of town where I mostly get Edge coverage with the N5 and S2. I had the E indicator and his HTC One claimed he had LTE. Occasionally I would hit HSPA but most of the time I was on Edge and he was on LTE. Speedtests between the two devices were almost identical - abysmal. Anyways I am in love with this phone and it pairs very well with the AT&T network.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
switched from vzw to att pretty much on n5 launch day. at my house the LTE signal is much stronger (and maybe 3x faster), so i'm very happy there. traveling around it's hard to say there's much of a difference between att and vzw. both have some annoying dead spots, both have some blazingly fast "hot" spots. call quality seems about the same. loving the freedom of gsm and the whole sim swapping thing (i pop in a prepaid TMO sim from time to time to check coverage areas), as well as the simultaneous voice/data on att. love that i don't have to go through a hassle to use google wallet or use google voice to handle voicemail.

as for hardware, well...i thought the GN aged quite well until i experienced N5. wow. fastest thing ever.

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
See I think the GN aged horribly, and almost immediately. It was my first smartphone and between the horrible radios, horrible battery, subpar camera and random reboots, the s3 I had for a few months was leaps and bounds greater. The N5 is to much is a much more top notch phone for it's time than the GNex was.

tonystewart

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
It is a revelation, being out from under the Verizon contract, no longer needing a Verizon Network Extender to receive service in my home. Straight Talk with ATT sim is working great, all of it.
My old GN's each had KIT KAT Shiny Rom on them,(Rooted, unlocked since new with various older Shiny Rom derivations) they worked well and the new Nexus 5 was not unfamiliar.
I sold both my Samsung Galaxy Nexus , without sims, on Swappa, for a net of $100 each. The new owners gave me excellent positive feedback.
I would recommend anyone who signs up with Straight Talk to use the APN settings they provide and wait at least 5 days for MMS messaging to work correctly. Once it did it's been great.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Because my contract was expiring December 15, 2013 I decided to try AT&T GoPhone and I got the 2gig plan (all I had on Verizon and never exceeded it). I bought my N5 and it arrived November 5 so went to the store and signed up. They put a sim in and there was LTE.I picked my phone number. I like my service. The LTE is constant inside my home, and most everywhere else unlike Verizon LTE - sometimes I had it other times back on Verizon's painful 3G. I've been on HSPA+ two times once while getting my hair cut, the other time in the underground subway station which is on the lower level of the shopping mall. Once the train left the station traveling underground LTE came back. Voice quality is very good for me. Have to say that I found HSPA+ almost as fast as Verizon LTE so even if I drop back to that I am ok.

There are AT&T stores all over and I decided to just pay using their kiosk. There is also an autopay plan that you can manage from your computer. It seems similar to being on contract; payments being deducted from a card each month but I guess you can just cancel when you want to. You can keep a balance up to $500 so you don't have to run to the Kiosk every month. I decided to use the kiosk since I am in that shopping mall once a week anyway. If I will be away around my payment due date, I can pay for over six months in advance so no problem.

I canceled my Verizon contract on December 17. So far I am very happy with my choice of AT&T.

Battery is fine for me. The most i've gotten is 1 day 13 hours before needing a charge. This phone is newer with a better processor so yes it performs better than the GN. Never a lag, never a studder, no auto rebooting. The update that was delivered was minor, but drastically improved the speaker performance.

Camera is OK. I mostly use the HDR feature . The camera was part of the update and that made it faster to focus and improved the quality.

Last edited:

rws381

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I switched from a Verizon Galaxy S4. Not a Galaxy Nexus but my experience has been similar to many others.

I feel the that Nexus 5 is a far superior phone to the S4. My opinion only but I greatly prefer the simpler interface that comes with vanilla Android and I also prefer the N5 build quality to the S4.

I don't have a lot of LTE service in my immediate area with AT&T but HSPA+ seems to be just as fast as my Verizon LTE service was.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with the switch.

BlackLS3

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon GN owners how do you like N5 on AT&T?

I paid a $200 termination fee to get my wife and I out from under our Verizon contract to both move to ATT GoPhone 2 GB plans with our N5s, and it was worth it. My LTE coverage may not be as good, but in my experience the speeds are as good or better than Verizon and the data hand-offs are seamless. I am coming from a SGS3, with no reduction in call quality and much better battery life. I love the phone, and I love not being locked into a big red contract.

While I did not come from the Verizon GN, I did try 2 when they first came out but returned both of them and went back to my TBolt (that should tell you something) due to data hand-off issues and the battery life. To say that going from the GN to an N5 would be an upgrade is an understatement. You owe it to yourself for tolerating that phone and Verizon for as long as you have.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon GN owners how do you like N5 on AT&T?

I'm the original poster on this thread. I just activated my new N5 on AT&T and so far I'm happy. The data speeds in Nashua are awesome, Speedtest is showing over 40MBits/second, Verizon is 6 and Sprint is 3 in the same spot. At my home in Massachusetts AT&T is doing a little better than Verizon did, 7Mbit vs 6. The voice quality seems to be better, don't know if that's due to the N5 or AT&T.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay