Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tgp
  • 1 Post By gidgiddonihah
  • 1 Post By gidgiddonihah
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Default T-Mobile Nexus 5 on ATT...

Would a T-Mobile Nexus 5 work if I put my AT&T sin card in it?

Posted via Android Central App
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts

Default Re: T-Mobile Nexus 5 on ATT...

Yes. What you're calling a T-Mobile Nexus 5 is not actually T-Mobile at all. It's sold by T-Mobile, but it's exactly the same device sold on the Play Store.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
    21stNow likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Thank you for the reply. So LTE would work just fine as well?

Yes, the device has support for all the antenna bands, so LTE will work no matter which carrier (except Verizon).
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Ok great. I'm going to the Nexus 5 from my LG G2 on ATT. I wouldn't say it's a step down, aside from the camera specs, but I'm pretty pumped up about the pure Android experience.

tgp

Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ess_78201 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. So LTE would work just fine as well?
    I have a Nexus 5 on AT&T service, and I have LTE. So yes, I can assure you that LTE will work just fine as well!
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

Would a T-Mobile Nexus 5 work if I put my AT&T sin card in it?

Unlike most devices every carrier sells the Nexus 5 is 100% untouched. You are still unlocked and ready to go. Google doesn't allow interference in the Nexus experience. It's why it doesn't work with the Verizon - they like to interfere - and the relationship between them and Google isn't so great. So, as others have said, it will indeed work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    palandri likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Thanks to everyone for their great advice. This was a steal. 275 new in box. I'm really glad I purchased it. Now time to sell the LG G2.

Thanks to everyone for their great advice. This was a steal. 275 new in box. I'm really glad I purchased it. Now time to sell the LG G2.

Glad to hear your having a great time a new device. You should love it on AT&T. Funny I'm considering doing the opposite of what you are doing. I'm off contract and T-Mobile's prices are starting to look more and more attractive to this poor college student who has a serious problem with tech - my wallet hates me when new tech comes out ;-).

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

I'm concerned for you because it may actually be a steal. If this person bought the Nexus 5 using the EIP program on T-Mobile and stops paying for it, your phone will be blacklisted. I'm unsure if this blacklist carries over to AT&T because I have heard that it will and that it won't. Checking the IMEI blacklist now wouldn't do you much good because EIP blacklisting normally takes around two months and the Nexus 5 just came out less than two months ago.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Well let's keep our fingers crossed. I haven't even thought of that.

Well let's keep our fingers crossed. I haven't even thought of that.

I would call T-Mobile and ask them. If they are going to blacklist a phone they would need the IME which you can give them to check. If that's the case I'm sure they have something setup for you to pay it off. If it is going to be blacklisted give AT&T a call and see if the blacklist goes to them as well. I doubt it but I would double check.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    I would call T-Mobile and ask them. If they are going to blacklist a phone they would need the IME which you can give them to check. If that's the case I'm sure they have something setup for you to pay it off. If it is going to be blacklisted give AT&T a call and see if the blacklist goes to them as well. I doubt it but I would double check.

The thing is that the person may have made the EIP payment this month and there would be no problems with the IMEI now. The customer may not make the EIP payment in January and the phone would be shut off around March. Ess_78201 would have to call every month to make sure that the phone is still clean. Also, T-Mobile will not allow the current owner of the phone to pay off the seller's account because that would be giving out private account information. There are threads from frustrated buyers on T-Mobile's forum about this issue.

Ess_78201 could call AT&T and ask about it, but if you say the word blacklist, they will say that the device will be blocked. Before the UnCarrier initiative, there were separate blacklists for stolen devices and ones that had unpaid EIP plans on them. The one for stolen devices carried over to other carriers but the EIP blacklist didn't if I understood this correctly. I don't know if that changed either due to more people signing up for EIP under the UnCarrier initiative or under the stronger blacklist database that the carriers are using now. I always advise people not to buy a T-Mobile device from the tertiary market unless the seller is willing to meet the buyer in a T-Mobile store and authorize the release of information on the account to show that the device has been paid for in full.

Quote Originally Posted by 21stNow View Post
    The thing is that the person may have made the EIP payment this month and there would be no problems with the IMEI now. The customer may not make the EIP payment in January and the phone would be shut off around March. Ess_78201 would have to call every month to make sure that the phone is still clean. Also, T-Mobile will not allow the current owner of the phone to pay off the seller's account because that would be giving out private account information. There are threads from frustrated buyers on T-Mobile's forum about this issue.

Ess_78201 could call AT&T and ask about it, but if you say the word blacklist, they will say that the device will be blocked. Before the UnCarrier initiative, there were separate blacklists for stolen devices and ones that had unpaid EIP plans on them. The one for stolen devices carried over to other carriers but the EIP blacklist didn't if I understood this correctly. I don't know if that changed either due to more people signing up for EIP under the UnCarrier initiative or under the stronger blacklist database that the carriers are using now. I always advise people not to buy a T-Mobile device from the tertiary market unless the seller is willing to meet the buyer in a T-Mobile store and authorize the release of information on the account to show that the device has been paid for in full.
    When you talk to AT&T just say you bought this phone but you are worried it is stolen. Ask them to check the IME in their system.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    When you talk to AT&T just say you bought this phone but you are worried it is stolen. Ask them to check the IME in their system.

With the EIP blacklist, it's not that simple. The phone could be blacklisted in 2, 12 or 18 months or anytime after the original purchaser stops making EIP payments on the phone. Since the original purchase price from T-Mobile is $450 and the buyer let it go for $275, it is likely that this seller plans to stop paying the EIP for the phone. As I stated in an earlier post, due to the recent purchase date, the IMEI is likely clean at this point anyway.