Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Default Re: When will Nexus 5 come to Verizon?

The LG G2 is the N5's big brother. It's the VZW spec leader, and IMO the best phone in the VZW lineup today. Great battery life, great screen, great camera...

Quote Originally Posted by lakaw View Post
    The LG G2 is the N5's big brother. It's the VZW spec leader, and IMO the best phone in the VZW lineup today. Great battery life, great screen, great camera...
    can you unlock the bootloader?

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    can you unlock the bootloader?
    No. Currently devs are using the Loki exploit to get around the bootloader problem.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

No. Currently devs are using the Loki exploit to get around the bootloader problem.
    The Loki exploit works so well that for all intents and purposes the bootloader is unlocked.

g2
    Live long and prosper.

Perhaps we may see the LG G2 as a Google Play edition (GPe) phone running stock Android. Then again, I don't think any of the GPe phones work on Verizon. For some reason, all the phones on the Google Play store are GSM, which makes them incompatible with Verizon's network. The only devices in the Google Play store that will work on Verizon are the Nexus 7 tablet (unofficially) and the Chromebook Pixel LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    For some reason, all the phones on the Google Play store are GSM, which makes them incompatible with Verizon's network.
    The reason is that for a phone to work on Verizon's network, the phone must have Verizon's signed CDMA proprietary binaries on them. So no one can make a phone that works on Verizon's CDMA (talk) network without Verizon's permission and cooperation. Also, the IMEI of the phone must be in Verizon's database of allowed devices for a phone to work on Verizon's network.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    The only devices in the Google Play store that will work on Verizon are the Nexus 7 tablet (unofficially) and the Chromebook Pixel LTE.
    4G LTE (data) is a GSM-based standard and does not require CDMA technology or signed CDMA proprietary binaries.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
    Thanks. I think I will stop in there after work.

I just wish the damn N5 would work on Verizon. That is the perfect phone for me.
    Yeah, N5 will likely never work with Verizon...probably should have researched that before buying the phone, but now you know for next time.

If you're going to stay with Verizon (instead of switching to T-Mobile or AT&T) I would look at the Moto X, HTC One, or LG G2 (assuming the G2 is available for Verizon...not sure if it is or not).

If you haven't already, I would look into T-Mobile. I switched to it from Verizon, lowered my monthly bill from $170 to $113 for 2 phones, and my LTE signal is great at and around home (I live about 20 miles outside downtown Cleveland). I've found that they have solid signals around metro areas, but not so good in the areas in between, so if you do a lot of traveling, it's probably not the option for you. But it's worth looking into. Their coverage maps are accurate. And if you switch to T-Mobile, you can use your N5.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    Yeah, N5 will likely never work with Verizon...
    The current N5s will never work on Verizon. Period.

If Verizon wants the Nexus 5 on its network, they would have to work with LG to develop one. From everything I have read, they are not going to do that. If they did, that would require new devices with new radios and the signed CDMA binaries.

But no matter what, the current devices are never going to work on Verizon.

I agree. The nexus 5 should be on verizon. I've done research that you can change the prl and make it work on verizon , but you would have to be on sprint and it costs a lot extra (roaming privlages)

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Verizon would muck it up just like they did the Galaxy Nexus. I gave up unlimited data and Verizon and could not be happier, I have a bloat free phone and it is not at the mercy of the carrier for updates. My speeds on AT&T blow away what I was getting on my Moto X on Verizon!!!
    ki11ak3nn likes this.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    Verizon would muck it up just like they did the Galaxy Nexus. I gave up unlimited data and Verizon and could not be happier, I have a bloat free phone and it is not at the mercy of the carrier for updates. My speeds on AT&T blow away what I was getting on my Moto X on Verizon!!!
    Just switched to T-Mobile from Verizon and I'm picking up a Nexus 5 today (store didn't have any when I switched). The speed difference is amazing. Where I work near Downtown Seattle on Verizon I maybe got about 5-10 Mbps down. Yesterday on T-Mo I got 32 Mbps down. Huge difference. I'm loving it so far.

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12