Auto Backup via Photos App Keeps Failing

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Both my wife and I have Auto Backup turned on in the Photos app. Almost invariably, when we take a look at the pictures in the app, the latest pictures have the little badness icon (triangle with an exclamation mark instead of the cloud with a check mark) on them. There's also a nice message at the top saying Auto Backup has failed. If we hit Retry, almost invariably, the backup happens fine and those icons convert to the goodness icons. This is while we're sitting in our house with a perfectly fine WiFi signal that we can use for any other process without trouble. I remember seeing something when the phones just came out about WiFi issues. But, I thought that had been fixed. Any ideas on what we can do to fix this?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Settings - Applications - Sort by all - photo. Clear cache and see if that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Settings - Applications - Sort by all - photo. Clear cache and see if that helps.

It's embarrassing, buy I can't find it. I go to my Settings screen, go to Apps (not Applications -- am I in the wrong place?), swipe over to All. They're sorted alphabetically, but there's no Photos app showing in the list. I even swiped from the left and checked under Downloaded and Running. It's not there. It's got to be there, I even ran the app while I was looking. I just don't see it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's embarrassing, buy I can't find it. I go to my Settings screen, go to Apps (not Applications -- am I in the wrong place?), swipe over to All. They're sorted alphabetically, but there's no Photos app showing in the list. I even swiped from the left and checked under Downloaded and Running. It's not there. It's got to be there, I even ran the app while I was looking. I just don't see it.

Sorry for the late response. You'll need to press menu then sort by all. It's a system app so it won't show in the downloaded list of applications.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
You'll need to press menu then sort by all. It's a system app so it won't show in the downloaded list of applications.

There is no "sort by all" option in the menu. All that's there is "Sort by size" and "Reset app preferences." Just to make sure, I'm looking at Settings | Apps | swipe over to All (or just press the "All" column header) | press the 3-dot menu icon at the top-right. If I sort by size and hit the menu again, I get the original "sort by name" option. Either way, Photos (or some variant of it) does not appear in the list under the All column, the Running column, or the Downloaded column no matter how I sort those columns.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Yes it happens to me as well, though not all the time. It's a small inconvenience though.

BTW, what's everyone's settings on auto upload? Mine is via WiFi only, and standard size (rather than full size).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There is no "sort by all" option in the menu. All that's there is "Sort by size" and "Reset app preferences." Just to make sure, I'm looking at Settings | Apps | swipe over to All (or just press the "All" column header) | press the 3-dot menu icon at the top-right. If I sort by size and hit the menu again, I get the original "sort by name" option. Either way, Photos (or some variant of it) does not appear in the list under the All column, the Running column, or the Downloaded column no matter how I sort those columns.
Sorry about that. Scroll over to "All" and open Google+ then clear cache. I thought Photo's was packaged as a separate app but it appears to be part of Google+, so you'll have to clear the cache for that app. See if that helps.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Cleared the cache for Google+, but it made no difference. If I take a picture, the Auto Backup in Photos fails. Hitting the "try again" icon will cause it to backup correctly.

For my backup settings, we're set to backup full size photos "only when there is a Wi-Fi connection available."

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Cleared the cache for Google+, but it made no difference. If I take a picture, the Auto Backup in Photos fails. Hitting the "try again" icon will cause it to backup correctly.

For my backup settings, we're set to backup full size photos "only when there is a Wi-Fi connection available."
I'm stumped. The only other option would be to uninstall Google Plus then re-install it. Though, I don't see how that could fix the issue.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Over on https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/nexus/contacts-and-sync , there are several similar tales (but for different services). From some of the content there, I went to Settings | Account | Google and took a look at my sync settings there. A lot of stuff was failing. I rebooted the phone, went back there, and manually told it to sync. Everything succeeded except Photos. I manually told Photos to sync and it succeeded. Back in the Photos app, the Auto Backup had actually succeeded. Oddly, when I did the same with the wife's phone, the stuff under Settings | Account | Google said it succeeded, but in the Photos app, the last Auto Backup had failed. Once again, telling the app to retry caused it to succeed.

From that other forum, this doesn't look like it's a Nexus problem (happens on a lot of devices). I don't know if it's a software problem on various Android devices or a problem with Google's servers.

Chris Nunno

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this issue now on my Google Android Galax7 S5
I need help badly.
When I try to LOAD the autobackup app and click on active account and check the ON/OFF button - it says LOADING.... with a GRAY (not raindbow) circle of death - HANGS THE APP.

Any ides.

faganm24

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I had to look in my app and finally found the picture (that said "media cannot be found") that was causing the issue. It must be a bad photo/video that can't be found and Google + can't figure out that it is missing.

Would be great to have a filter to find files that are trying to be uploaded or something to accompany the error that shows the bad file.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay