Speaker holes and rattling buttons

TenderTendon

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I just received my Nexus 5 yesterday and I'm real disappointed. Serial number 312KPGSxxxxxx, and it has the small speaker holes and both the power & volume buttons rattle. I compared it to my son's phone from from the release date first run, and the only difference I see is that my sim card door sits flush better than his. Our max volumes playing the same MP3 are the same. I thought they fixed these problems. Why are they shipping the phones with small holes and rattling buttons again? Should I expect a replacement to be better?

mcelmeel17

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Stop complaining and enjoy the phone. I have the exact same phone as you and the phone is perfectly usable and is an exceptional device. Seriously, the phone is just fine

Posted via Android Central App

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I just received my Nexus 5 yesterday and I'm real disappointed. Serial number 312KPGSxxxxxx, and it has the small speaker holes and both the power & volume buttons rattle. I compared it to my son's phone from from the release date first run, and the only difference I see is that my sim card door sits flush better than his. Our max volumes playing the same MP3 are the same. I thought they fixed these problems. Why are they shipping the phones with small holes and rattling buttons again? Should I expect a replacement to be better?
Which color and which memory size did you choose?

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Small holes and rattling buttons :/

I have a 310k model for whatever that means and don't have any of these issues

If it wasn't for the posts about people looking for a flaw, would you even notice it? Why are you shaking your phone anyways to hear for something rattling?

Enjoy your phone or RMA it...it's really that simple

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
The conclusion is that there in fact was no hardware upgrade. Different parts producers/factories and producing phones that are just a tiny bit outwardly different. Stop shaking your phone just to listen for the rattling noise and you will be just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AndroidDario

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
The conclusion is that there in fact was no hardware upgrade. Different parts producers/factories and producing phones that are just a tiny bit outwardly different. Stop shaking your phone just to listen for the rattling noise and you will be just fine.

Are you sure? I received my Black 32gb and holes are small and volume button rattles. How can I ask Google to replace my phone?

AndroidDario

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I read on this forum that many users had they Nexus 5 replaced for the same reason. Why I shouldn't ask Google to replace mine?
Should I write them or what?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I read on this forum that many users had they Nexus 5 replaced for the same reason. Why I shouldn't ask Google to replace mine?
Should I write them or what?
If you read this forum, you will also see that people having their phones replaced for this reason often do not see the changes in their replacement devices they were hoping for. Sometimes, people receive replacement devices with what they consider additional flaws (like a yellowish screen). So if you want to take that chance, go ahead. All I'm saying is that people need to stop digging for excuses to get RMAs.

TenderTendon

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
First of all, I am not "looking for flaws" or "shaking my phone to hear something rattling". The phone shakes itself when vibrate is on. I guess it's selfish of me to want to use the vibrate feature. Regarding the speaker holes: In one day, I have missed several calls with the phone in my shirt pocket and the ringer on max. This is not acceptable. I work in a machine shop and ambient noise is out of my control. I never had a single problem hearing my Galaxy S2 ringer. This is what brought me to this forum. Thanks for all the valuable advice such as "stop complaining", "enjoy the phone, it's perfectly usable". It may be perfectly usable for you. You must work in a quiet environment.
I guess my big question is: Is there actually a fix for the low volume issue? I can live with the rattling buttons, but I can't continue to miss calls. If Google has effectively addresed this issue, I will RMA it. If not, I will return it and shop for a different phone.

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I won't do this, but it'd be interesting to make up a ridiculous lie about this device and spread it around on these forums. I know people would start saying theirs had the same 'defects'. The small speaker holes do absolutely nothing. The power button rattle I could see being frustrating, but I didn't viciously shake my device to see if it rattled when I got it. I put it in a case within 2 hours and haven't had a problem.

People spend a pretty penny on this outstanding product, and they can't enjoy it because they're obsessed with two ridiculous things that someone told them was a 'problem'.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't consider an insufficient ringer volume a ridiculous obsession. Loose buttons, probably...

If that's your issue, get it replaced. The small speaker holes have nothing to do with it. Larger speaker holes won't make a difference.

I just know if the first thing you did was to look past the awesome screen, capable camera, and the great features of 4.4.2 in order to measure your speaker holes, you were kinda looking for 'defects' right from the start.

TenderTendon

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
If that's your issue, get it replaced. The small speaker holes have nothing to do with it. Larger speaker holes won't make a difference.

That is what I want to know...

I just know if the first thing you did was to look past the awesome screen, capable camera, and the great features of 4.4.2 in order to measure your speaker holes, you were kinda looking for 'defects' right from the start.

I wasn't aware of any "issues" with this phone until I noticed the ringer wasn't loud enough. I absolutely love it, but if I can't get the volume up, I'm afraid I will grow to hate it.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the speaker holes: In one day, I have missed several calls with the phone in my shirt pocket and the ringer on max. This is not acceptable. I work in a machine shop and ambient noise is out of my control. I never had a single problem hearing my Galaxy S2 ringer. .

The stock ringers tones that come with the N5 are too soft and quite. That is why I picked out a free ringer tone from Zedge that I can hear.

I admit some of us are tired of this larger speaker hole thing since even Android Central hasn't proved they are shipping a new Nexus 5 design. Another Android board posted a photo of a Nexus 5 but so far there is no solid evidence their is anyone with a new N5 design. Phil said on one of the Android Central Pod Cast they had requested information from Google on this updated version of the Nexus 5 but haven't heard anything back. These larger speaker holes could be as simple as LG got a new case from another Manufacture that provided the cases but accidentally made some cases with larger holes.

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't consider an insufficient ringer volume a ridiculous obsession. Loose buttons, probably...

Change to the Sedna ringtone - it is so loud, it'll wake the dead.

Which, oh by the way, is a good indication that the problem is not with the speaker, but with the native volume of (most of) the stock ringtones.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Change to the Sedna ringtone - it is so loud, it'll wake the dead.

Which, oh by the way, is a good indication that the problem is not with the speaker, but with the native volume of (most of) the stock ringtones.

You're right, the stock ringers are very quiet. Music though can play VERY loud. I'd use Sedna or even better, download or create your own louder ringtones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks