Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mrsmumbles
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  • 1 Post By JohnnyBroccoli
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default First foray into unlocked phones, help!

Just ordered my Nexus 5, and it's due to be shipped on January 4th. I'm taking the time to read up on carrier options and some things I need to do, but I still have a few questions and I'm hoping you guys can help.
    1. I'm currently on a Verizon family plan with two others where all contracts are expired. I will obviously be leaving this plan, though the two others have decided to remain for the time being. Is it possible for all three of us to retain our phone numbers, or will I lose mine?
    2. I've looked at a few of the carrier options and it looks like Straight Talk is the way to go, but it looks like people are having some issues. Looking at one of the settings threads though, it looks like some have been having success? What problems will I experience with ST, is it likely that I will experience these problems, and are they fixable?
    3. Micro SDSIM card?

I feel like there's more, but this is all I can think of at current.
    Last edited by Jason_Jarmo; 12-26-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Default Re: First foray into unlocked phones, help!

1) No problem. You can port your number.

3) Look into Meenova card reader and a 32 gig card formatted FAT32.

I'm not sure about #2.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I should say, port your number before you technically cancel Verizon. Do it on last billing day or a day before.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Biggnaa20 likes this.

If you're leery of Straight Talk, you could also just walk into any AT&T or T-Mobile store and have them set you up with their equivalent (it'll cost about $15 more a month, though). I don't know what T-Mobile calls their pay-as-you-go setup (probably something like "normal" ). With AT&T, you can go with their Go Phone setup. And, while you're there, you can have them port your existing number over to whatever SIM you're getting. We helped my mother-in-law set up her Nexus 5 with T-Mobile. But, her reception in this area isn't as good as ours is (AT&T). So, at the end of her first month of service, we'll probably head over to the local AT&T store and do the whole thing over with them.

And, yes. The Nexus 5 uses a Micro SIM card. If you go the Straight Talk route, I believe you have to buy that online from them. We checked out the local Walmart (which is a front for ST), and they didn't carry the ST AT&T SIM. Worst of all, though expected, the people in the department knew nothing about it. All they could do was walk us over to the aisle and read the boxes.
    Thanked by 2:

I switched to Straight Talk when I bought the Nexus 5. I have had no issues. They have disclosed that you have a 2.5gb Data cap. I ordered my SIM card from Walmart.com and had it shipped to the store. I've been happy with the service.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the info gents, I think I'll try out Straight Talk and see where it takes me. I checked my data usage recently and haven't used a gig even after three months or so.
    Last edited by Jason_Jarmo; 12-26-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Straight Talk FTW especially if you want the the most LTE coverage and data for the price.

When you are looking for a new service provider depending on where you live you should download the App that has map to display each of the different network service providers in your area ( Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile ..etc) real time maps where you live and hang out. I am pretty sure that Open Signal gets this information from every ones phones and the different network services providers.

If you like AT&T then look at it's pre-paid service AIO Wireles that uses AT&T network but at a lower cost to you. If you like T-Mobile look at it's prepaid service Metro PCS and save $10 a month with the same service over T-Mobile.

-----
    TracFone provides six brands of service: TracFone, NET10 Wireless, Safelink Wireless, Straight Talk, Telcel América, and SIMPLE Mobile. These brands differ not only in their logos and prepaid minute rates but their underlying networks options.

Straight Talk is a partnership between TracFone and Walmart, offering several different rate plans; a $30 limited plan, $45 30-day unlimited plan and a $60 unlimited international calling plan. Discounts are available for purchasing multiple months of the unlimited plan. Straight Talk is a Mobile Virtual Network operator (MVNO) offering both CDMA and GSM support. The CDMA network uses Verizon's or Sprint's CDMA 1xRTT wireless networks and the GSM side makes use of either T-Mobile's or AT&T's GSM networks.
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,765 Global Posts

Net10 has new plans that include more high speed data. The $50 plan includes 2.5GB, but they now have one with less data & 2 with more. You should consider one of these if Straight Talk's 2.5GB isn't enough for you.

I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

Im happy with Consumer Cellular...At&T carrier.
    Setup was easy ... support very helpful.
    I am a low usage guy.
    Anywhere 200 - 200 minutes; 100MB; 2nd line = $35.00
    No setup fees; no term fee; change data plans at will; great android app;

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Jarmo View Post
    I'm currently on a Verizon family plan with two others where all contracts are expired. I will obviously be leaving this plan, though the two others have decided to remain for the time being. Is it possible for all three of us to retain our phone numbers, or will I lose mine?
    Due to recent laws, not only can you retain your numbers, but carriers are required to transfer them in a timely manner. Like, within hours.

You can transfer them yourself, but your new carrier will probably be able to do it much faster than you can. You will need to provide your Verizon account number, and IDs/passwords to the Verizon website. This will greatly expedite the transfer. T-Mobile was very efficient in doing this for my friend about a week ago. He was able to transfer even though it was a few days before his contract officially expired.

I've looked at a few of the carrier options and it looks like Straight Talk is the way to go, but it looks like people are having some issues. Looking at one of the settings threads though, it looks like some have been having success? What problems will I experience with ST, is it likely that I will experience these problems, and are they fixable?
    That's AT&T isn't it? I am not a big fan of theirs. Verizon is worse, but AT&T is bad with customer service in my experience.

I don't know anything about Sprint, but I have nothing but good things to say about T-Mobile. Their storefront people are far more knowledgable in my experience. They are more like phone nerds than sales people.

Micro SDSIM card?
    The new carrier can set all this up for you. Just go to a storefront and give them whatever info they need.

Micro SD is different from the SIM card. SD is just like your phone's storage memory, except it is removable and upgradable. the SIM card is basically a key that lets you onto the carrier's network. You can swap a SIM between phones...as soon as you put it into a new phone, that becomes your phone as far as the carrier is concerned (so your number will ring to it for example). Many phone have both SIM and SD slots. They are completely separate things.
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Seriously? No one mentioning the $30/month T-Mobile option with unlimited texts and unlimited 4G LTE (throttled once you hit 5GB)?

That's what I'm on and it is a God send. Was paying $95/month through AT&T for much spottier coverage just 3 months ago. Never again. Unlocked phone and no contract carrier is the only way to go.
    Thanked by:
    JeffDenver likes this.

As suggested earlier...with no contract you choose your provider.
    Choice should be based on the best signal strength.
    Many of us live in rural areas. T Mobile doesn't cut it.
    AT&T is good except in fringe areas.
    Verizon coverage is the best overall.
    Then choose your 3rd party carrier which gives you the best coverage.

Except with Verizon, no Nexus 5.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2