Nexus 5 does work on MetroPCS!!!

E_Rosas

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This is probably old news for some of you guys, but I had to write about it because I was still very confused if it did work or not. And I'm sure some of you out there are still confused as well. Some of the older sim cards will not work on the Nexus 5 so I ended up purchasing a new one which cost me $25 and $10 to activate it. 5 minutes later I was up and running enjoy my new Nexus 5. So there you go, no more confusion. It does work and I'm happy as hell with it. Happy Holidays folks.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I put my Nexus 5 on order at the ten minute mark on day one. The day I got my Nexus 5 I walked into Metro PCS and walked out after about three minutes with it working on Metro PCS. It would have been faster but the guy keep trying to pop the back off the N5 since he didn't see the SIM tray below the power button. I paid $35 for the Sim and activation.

The only thing is I am on the T-Mobile network since the Metro PCS is shutting down their CDMA network by 2014. I pay $35 a month per phone for unlimited everything on Metro under the family plan with two phones. I do have a 500mb speed bump from going from 4G LTE to 3G on data but never came close to that yet since I am always around wi-fi.

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
What I'm more interested in is the $60 unlimited plan by metro and how its compared to T-Mobile $70 unlimited, even though metro is using T-Mobile network anyway, or vice verse with the LTE, I'd like to know if there are any catch.

The only thing is I am on the T-Mobile network since the Metro PCS is shutting down their CDMA network by 2014. I pay $35 a month per phone for unlimited everything on Metro under the family plan with two phones. I do have a 500mb speed bump from going from 4G LTE to 3G on data but never came close to that yet since I am always around wi-fi.
You do aware that MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile now and use their GSM network, unless you want to continue to use their CDMA network exclusively for some reason.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
What I'm more interested in is the $60 unlimited plan by metro and how its compared to T-Mobile $70 unlimited, even though metro is using T-Mobile network anyway, or vice verse with the LTE, I'd like to know if there are any catch.

You do aware that MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile now and use their GSM network, unless you want to continue to use their CDMA network exclusively for some reason.

T-Mobile is shutting down Metro's CDMA network by the end of 2014 after they migrate all their Metro PCS customers from CDMA to GSM phones. Metro PCS will still be a separate service from T-Mobile but both will get much faster data. These 40MHz LTE zones will support full Category 4 speeds, which top out at 150Mbps on the downlink and 51Mbps on the uplink. This article tells the story better.

How to get on T-Mobile’s super-fast 150Mbps 20+20 LTE bandwagon

Last edited:

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
It costs $35 to get a SIM in the US - Here SIM swaps are free and new SIM's cost $2 including activation...

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I don't know of any mvno which doesn't either throttle data after 1 or 2 or 2.5 gigs or give slower speeds than postpaid, or both. With Boost Mobile they supposedly throttle, and they did seem to before I remembered my WiFi password, but since going on WiFi here I don't even get 500 MBs from BM. Plus their speeds are maybe a third of Sprint postpaid's which is already like molasses here. It's not even a data service. It totally sucks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

With the T-Mobile 70 plan you get 2.5GB of hotspot. I don't think you get this with the metro PCs $60 plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox