Just got a Nexus 5 and am having some apps/software problems

andretan

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone :)
So I've finally made the jump to Android after being so long on iOS... but I've run into several issues that I am unable to find the answer for (I've looked around the forums and Googled around) but can't seem to find the answer, so I'm hoping someone here would be able to help.

1. Email
The built-in email app (that ships with the Nexus 5 / Kit Kat 4.4.2) doesn't seem to handle image attachments very well.
I receive quite a fair bit of jpg and png images in my emails everyday. However, one of my emails I got yesterday was several png images, and it just shows me an empty placeholder when I tap the 'show pictures' button.

I've tried the K-9 mail app but it also "failed" to display the images correctly...

Right now I'm trying out this Evo mail app and it seems to be working fine but it is quite lacking in some areas (eg; unable to set refresh delay).

2. Google Keep
Initially I wanted to use Keep to sync all my existing Notes (iCloud: Mac, iOS) onto the Nexus, but after copying everything onto Keep, apparently some of the notes show up as empty.
I've done restarts, and 'forced' it to sync but it didn't work.

Any ideas?
I did some Googling and saw several others having this issue but it seems no one has solved this yet.

Now I'm trying out SimpleNote and it works a charm (I hope!)

3. What is the best Twitter app out there?
I'm now using the ad-supported version of Plume and I kinda like it, but it's quite a premium at S$6.22 (compared to most iOS apps).

Any other recommendations before I plonk down my money?

4. Photos vs Gallery
Which do I use?
Also, I have imported (via USB) several hundred photos from my iPhone, but it seems the Gallery app doesn't allow me to 'Select All' then import it.
Is there some restrictions on the max number of images you can select and import? It also doesn't allow me to rename the folder?

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
You could try using Evernote instead of Google keep and what not. I've never actually heard of any problems with Keep until you've pointed them out.

Posted via Android Central App

andretan

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You could try using Evernote instead of Google keep and what not. I've never actually heard of any problems with Keep until you've pointed them out.

Hi Brian, I've thought about using Evernote (in fact I've used the Mac and iOS versions previously) but am not so keen on their limitations for free users:
Free: Upload up to 60 MB of data each month, with unlimited storage
My notes are mainly text but 60MB seems a bit miserable.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to Android Central :)
I can only help with the 3rd question, hopefully someone with a Nexus 5 can help with the others
Twitter's Android app is now nearly unusable: Try these instead | Android Central

Thanks! :)

Seems like Plume isn't so bad after all :eek:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Twitter's Android app works just fine on my Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I never said it didn't. That's the title of the article from AC. Unusable in the sense that it isn't very good, not that it doesn't work at all...

Posted via Android Central App

andretan

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
1. Email
The built-in email app (that ships with the Nexus 5 / Kit Kat 4.4.2) doesn't seem to handle image attachments very well.
I receive quite a fair bit of jpg and png images in my emails everyday. However, one of my emails I got yesterday was several png images, and it just shows me an empty placeholder when I tap the 'show pictures' button.

I've tried the K-9 mail app but it also "failed" to display the images correctly...

Right now I'm trying out this Evo mail app and it seems to be working fine but it is quite lacking in some areas (eg; unable to set refresh delay).

Strangely, Evo mail decided not to load several of my email messages today so I'm back to K-9 which all of a sudden, works great.

*sigh*

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone :)
So I've finally made the jump to Android after being so long on iOS... but I've run into several issues that I am unable to find the answer for (I've looked around the forums and Googled around) but can't seem to find the answer, so I'm hoping someone here would be able to help.

1. Email

2. Google Keep
Initially I wanted to use Keep to sync all my existing Notes (iCloud: Mac, iOS) onto the Nexus, but after copying everything onto Keep, apparently some of the notes show up as empty.
I've done restarts, and 'forced' it to sync but it didn't work.

Any ideas?
I did some Googling and saw several others having this issue but it seems no one has solved this yet.

Now I'm trying out SimpleNote and it works a charm (I hope!)

3. What is the best Twitter app out there?
I'm now using the ad-supported version of Plume and I kinda like it, but it's quite a premium at S$6.22 (compared to most iOS apps).

Any other recommendations before I plonk down my money?

4. Photos vs Gallery
Which do I use?
Also, I have imported (via USB) several hundred photos from my iPhone, but it seems the Gallery app doesn't allow me to 'Select All' then import it.
Is there some restrictions on the max number of images you can select and import? It also doesn't allow me to rename the folder?

Thanks for reading :)

Gallery is a system folder (so is Photos) so it can't be renamed. Photos is the newer app. They'll be phasing Gallery out at some point. So if you plan to have more Androids in the future start and stay with Photos (that's what I'd do).

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams