1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Please help, unable to switch my Nexus 5 which came with a T-mobile sim even though I have Sprint

SO i bought a supposedly unlocked nexus 5 on swappa.com. It was sealed, however when I first opened it it came with a t-mobile SIM card under the t-mobile network. I went into the Sprint store and got a sprint sim card, switched it in. However I am still unable to activate my phone. I think I might be completely screwed because the IMEI does not register with sprint at all. On the side of the nexus 5 box, it also says t-mobile on the box. I think this nexus 5 may only be good for T-mobile. Am I completely screwed?

When i check the IMEI under US IMEI blacklist it passes however when I check it against Sprint it states it is invalid, I don't know what this means.

If anyone can help me with this problem it would be greatly appreciated, I would hate to have to resell it.

Default Re: Please help, unable to switch my Nexus 5 which came with a T-mobile sim even though I have Sprin

It's fine. You'll just have to get it activated at Sprint. They're all unlocked and all the same model with the same frequencies bands.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Please help, unable to switch my Nexus 5 which came with a T-mobile sim even though I have Sprin

The only problem is maybe if the seller quit paying the T-Mobile bill or, hopefully not, if the phone was stolen, and you'd only find out in a month or two. Just bring it to Sprint and see if they can activate it.

If it is a 32gb model they have to add the imei/serial number individually. I went through that issue with Sprint when I got my nexus in early November.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

No it was factory sealed brand new out of the box, I plan on bringing it to Sprint store first thing in the morning. This whole process has been stressing me out. I hope they can activate it

- - - Updated - - -

it's the 16g model

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

A colleague had a similar issue, SPRINT had to manually enter the IMEI for it to work even though in theory 16GB models should activate without issue.

The only other issue my colleague encountered was having to manually change the network type, but I would not worry about that right now as that is the easy part.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Butterfield View Post
    No it was factory sealed brand new out of the box, I plan on bringing it to Sprint store first thing in the morning. This whole process has been stressing me out. I hope they can activate it

- - - Updated - - -

it's the 16g model
    They can. Don't stress!

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

I had a debacle trying to get my 32gig activated at sprint also. I believe they had to type the IMEI in and also leave the first/last digit off, can't remember which one but thinking the last.
    Thanked by:
    sprof 

SO i bought a supposedly unlocked nexus 5 on swappa.com. It was sealed, however when I first opened it it came with a t-mobile SIM card under the t-mobile network. I went into the Sprint store and got a sprint sim card, switched it in. However I am still unable to activate my phone. I think I might be completely screwed because the IMEI does not register with sprint at all. On the side of the nexus 5 box, it also says t-mobile on the box. I think this nexus 5 may only be good for T-mobile. Am I completely screwed?

When i check the IMEI under US IMEI blacklist it passes however when I check it against Sprint it states it is invalid, I don't know what this means.

If anyone can help me with this problem it would be greatly appreciated, I would hate to have to resell it.
    Just do a quick factory reset on it. People have had issues with swapping between those two services.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Guys its locked for T-mobile. They already tried putting the IMEI into the sprint system and it won't work. I am screwed, now I have to resell

Guys its locked for T-mobile. They already tried putting the IMEI into the sprint system and it won't work. I am screwed, now I have to resell
    I doubt it's that bad, Sprint usually don't know how to handle phones you don't buy from them. Others who've brought the n5 to Sprint can advise better. 😎

Make sure you go to a corporate store, or a repair center. A regular sprint store will not be able to activate it. They don't have the right people to do it.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

It's not locked on T-mobile. I just read my old post from within minutes of finally getting a sprint rep to listen. And it the last digit of the IMEI# you leave off. Mine was a 2 and it came right up for the sprint rep.