Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does Restore factory settings take away unlock and root?

I unlocked and rooted my Neuxs 5 on day one. Right now there seems to be a lot of junk in my phone so i wanna do a factroy reset from the settings menu. Will my phone be locked again and do I have to root it once more?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Does Restore factory settings take away unlock and root?

Quote Originally Posted by qq107 View Post
    I unlocked and rooted my Neuxs 5 on day one. Right now there seems to be a lot of junk in my phone so i wanna do a factroy reset from the settings menu. Will my phone be locked again and do I have to root it once more?
    Thanks!
    I think so and you'll lose all your data (from apps, pictures, music, videos, movies, etc.) so you should back everything up first. :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Unlock is permanent so a factory reset will not lock. Cannot remember about root. It has been a long time since I rooted.

Sent from my Moto X!
    Lumia 925 8.1 Dev Pre, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Your phone will be the way it came, unlocked and unrooted.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

It will stay unlocked and rooted. However all of your apps, settings, and data will be deleted.

It resets your phone as if you just flashed a new rom.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks!
    From my personal experience with rooting a factory reset will remove the root (it removes superSU or Superuser, which ever you have installed for root access). The unlock is 'deeper' than a factory reset goes. To go stock you need to flash the stock images.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

I think all you have to do is simply reinstall superuser or SU....the phone will still be rooted but you need that superuser app to access root.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks!
    No!!! You will not lose root. I'm assuming your superuser app is in system/app. A factory reset wipes data and cache, not the system. The superuser (supersu?) app and the binary will be in the system if you flashed the supersu zip. An OTA update can possibly (most likely) make you loose root but it depends on what is actually updated. Your phone will always stay unlocked unless you run a command in fastboot, "fastboot oem lock." I imagine you can lock it with a toolkit also but I've never used any toolkits.
    Last edited by wantabe; 12-28-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    "Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"
    AT&T HTC One X 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ ElementalX, Nexus 5 32GB, Nexus 7 32GB (2013)