1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default A question about SIM switching into a Nexus 5

I currently have two phones, each active. One is an iPhone 4S. The other a Lumia 920. Both are locked to Fido (4S) and Rogers (920).

Since both use Micro SIMS and so does the Nexus 5, I assume that I can simply take the SIM out of either phone and use it in the Nexus 5. I believe that SIM Removal and insertion should be done with the phone powered down. I have heard that I should disable iMessage on the iPhone before doing this.
    Are my assumptions correct? Does anyone have any tips or recommendations?
    Thank you for reading.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: A question about SIM switching into a Nexus 5

Your assumptions are all correct, but I do not know why you would need to disable iMessage unless you have read somewhere that the settings get written to the SIM card. Maybe someone else has a further explanation.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Your assumptions are all correct, but I do not know why you would need to disable iMessage unless you have read somewhere that the settings get written to the SIM card. Maybe someone else has a further explanation.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I believe that iMessage registers my phone number with Apple. Anyone texting me using an iPhone would have that text delivered as an iMessage through Apple's servers. Since the Nexus 5 cannot / would not receive an iMessage, the message would be lost. That is what I have heard, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerryinbc View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    I believe that iMessage registers my phone number with Apple. Anyone texting me using an iPhone would have that text delivered as an iMessage through Apple's servers. Since the Nexus 5 cannot / would not receive an iMessage, the message would be lost. That is what I have heard, anyway.

Yes, this is true. You should turn off iMessage on your iPhone before you put the SIM card into your Nexus 5 to make sure that you still receive the text messages being sent to you from other iOS users. If you still have problems receiving text messages from iOS users, they may have to start a new text messaging thread when sending you a message, rather than going to an existing message thread and replying there.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Yup, that's spot on with what you need to do. Let us know how things go and if you have further questions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks, all, for the replies. I just ordered the Nexus 5 from Google Play yesterday so I don't expect to see it for a week and a bit.
    I am looking forward to it. If it's comparable to the N7, I'm sure I'll be pleased to use it. The N7 is an excellent tablet.