Is this considered abnormal battery drain?

Infiniteloop7

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I have been using my N5 for a couple of weeks and I know its battery life isn't the greatest. I have watched some youtube videos for tips on better battery life, and here's what I have done.
Turn off auto brightness, and screen brightness is about 1/4 of the way
Turn off haptic feedback
Turn off vibration on keypress
Turn off sync for most Google services
Turn off NFC
Location service set to battery saving mode
But it seems like after all that's been done, the battery is still draining pretty fast. For example, I went out for dinner and drinks with friends and my phone is just sitting in my pocket the whole time not being used, 4 hours later, I have lost 30% battery. Coming from an htc one, it doesn't drain nearly as much. Is this abnormal or just about right for the N5, thoughts?

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I would think that is quite abnormal, especially if you did not use it during those four hours although, I wouldn't expect it to be a hardware issue with the phone - if you are rooted, I would definitely suggest greenify or otherwise something like battery doctor to diagnose which app is draining your battery. Oh and, do you have auto-sync on?

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
If you have no intentions of rooting your phone (you probably should, greenify is the best), you should try an app like battery doctor or perhaps even the battery pane in settings to see if you have a certain application draining all your battery. Also, how long is your battery generally lasting during the day and what is your screen on time?

If you can't find or get to the source of your problems for some reason, the only thing I can think of would be to do a factory reset.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If your in a crappy service area that will destroy your battery. I had a galaxy nexus, and every sat night I would head out to this bar by my house, it's literally an old police station. I would walk in with around 100% around 930-10, leave at 2am with the low battery warning on.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Infiniteloop7

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
If you have no intentions of rooting your phone (you probably should, greenify is the best), you should try an app like battery doctor or perhaps even the battery pane in settings to see if you have a certain application draining all your battery. Also, how long is your battery generally lasting during the day and what is your screen on time?

If you can't find or get to the source of your problems for some reason, the only thing I can think of would be to do a factory reset.

Checking the battery pane under settings, I am at 10% battery level now, and it has been about 8 hours on battery, the screen on time is 1 hr 15 mins. The top processes / apps that are using battery would be screen, android system, wifi, google play services then boat browser. I will give battery doctor a try and see if I can figure out what process / app is the battery hog

Infiniteloop7

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
If your in a crappy service area that will destroy your battery. I had a galaxy nexus, and every sat night I would head out to this bar by my house, it's literally an old police station. I would walk in with around 100% around 930-10, leave at 2am with the low battery warning on.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

I do have crappy cell service when I'm at home, I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area which AT&T claims to have very good coverage, but I constantly only get 1 to 2 bars

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Checking the battery pane under settings, I am at 10% battery level now, and it has been about 8 hours on battery, the screen on time is 1 hr 15 mins. The top processes / apps that are using battery would be screen, android system, wifi, google play services then boat browser. I will give battery doctor a try and see if I can figure out what process / app is the battery hog

In that case there is definitly something wrong, I currently have been 9h on battery and 1h 10m screen on time (not including the one hour podcast I streamed), I got 0-2 bars however, I still have 75% left. That is with franco kernel however even without, your battery shouldn't be draining that fast.

I would suggest either a factory reset or to e-mail Google/LG and see what they can do (although I do doubt hardware is the issue.)

Thom Springer

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Android phone does not need to be rooted just to diagnose a battery problem. Use 'wakelock detector' app. Temporary fix for battery: Go to settings, application manager, slide over to 'all' scroll down and find 'google play services'. Uninstall updates. Disable. This will solve your battery problem. It will also stop you tube and maybe more apps from working. Google sucks for many reasons. This is one reason.

Last edited:

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Android phone does not need to be rooted just to diagnose a battery problem. Use 'wakelock detector' app. Temporary fix for battery: Go to settings, application manager, slide over to 'all' scroll down and find 'google play services'. Uninstall updates. Disable. This will solve your battery problem. It will also stop you tube and maybe more apps from working. Google sucks for many reasons. This is one reason.

I did not say it must be rooted to fix a battery issue, I am just saying that greenify is a is a great app and it does help. Also, you cannot be certain that doing what you said will fix the battery issues - I am not saying it won't, it could be great however you cannot be certain, after all it is possible it is a defective battery (however unlikely it is.)

Posted via Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop7

I only lose only 3% of my battery for a 10 hour period where my phone is in sleep mode at night and that is with a weak cell tower connection and connected to wi-fi. The only suggestion I could make if turn on ART runtime that did seem to add additional time over the dalvik. This isn't a magic fix but it should give you some extra battery time.

Nexus 5 battery life better with ART

Infiniteloop7

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop7

I only lose only 3% of my battery for a 10 hour period where my phone is in sleep mode at night and that is with a weak cell tower connection and connected to wi-fi. The only suggestion I could make if turn on ART runtime that did seem to add additional time over the dalvik. This isn't a magic fix but it should give you some extra battery time.

Nexus 5 battery life better with ART

Do you mind sharing what your general setting of the phone is? Did you turn off something just to preserve battery life or your settings is what it is when it's out of the box?

Infiniteloop7

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I noticed from the past few days that my N5 seems to have abnormal battery usage pattern. There are days with mostly light use (text messaging, whatsapp messaging, some web browsing, minimal on screen time) I can go for 2 days without charging, and I am only losing 1% battery per hour when it's in stand by. However, they are times (see attachment) when I didn't use my phone for 11 hours, but the battery level is down from fully charged to 26%. Can anyone give me some ideas on what may be the culprit?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-04-15-21-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-04-15-21-01.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_2014-01-04-15-21-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-04-15-21-11.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 30

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I noticed from the past few days that my N5 seems to have abnormal battery usage pattern. There are days with mostly light use (text messaging, whatsapp messaging, some web browsing, minimal on screen time) I can go for 2 days without charging, and I am only losing 1% battery per hour when it's in stand by. However, they are times (see attachment) when I didn't use my phone for 11 hours, but the battery level is down from fully charged to 26%. Can anyone give me some ideas on what may be the culprit?

I have the same issue with unexpected battery drain. I'll have to post my screen shot. With no apparent reason, the phone battery would suddenly nosedive. This has happened 2 times at night. WTF? At its best, my phone loses 1%/hr

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
This is interesting to me, as my wife and I were just discussing battery performance on our N5s tonight. We both went to a friends house for about 6 hours tonight, and we had both charged our phone to 100% before leaving. When we got home, she was down to about 50% battery, I was at about 85%, and I had used my phone more than her during that time. We were both under exact same network connectivity, conditions, etc, and we have similar setup... key difference being she is rooted and I am not.

I compared the apps listed for battery drain on both our phones, and nothing was majorly different, which was even more puzzling to me. I had her turn her phone off (since she said it had been a while since she did that) and install Greenify, so we'll see. Bottom line to the OP: I'd say your battery drain is abnormal, despite the fact that you're clearly not alone in your predicament. I'll update if things take a turn for the better with my wife.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
From your screenshot, it looks like you have WiFi wake lock. Go to WiFi settings - advanced, and make sure the checkbox next to 'WiFi optimization' is checked.

If this doesn't work, try a factory reset and see if the issue persists.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Try tapping on Cell Standby, and see if it says how much time you don't have signal. Since you mentioned that your cell reception isn't very good, that certainly could be a big contributor to your drain, because the radio has to work harder to find a signal. Also try GSam Battery Monitor, which can give you somewhat better breakdowns of battery use.

Infiniteloop7

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
From your screenshot, it looks like you have WiFi wake lock. Go to WiFi settings - advanced, and make sure the checkbox next to 'WiFi optimization' is checked.

If this doesn't work, try a factory reset and see if the issue persists.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I just looked into my wifi settings, and wifi optimization is already checked

Infiniteloop7

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Try tapping on Cell Standby, and see if it says how much time you don't have signal. Since you mentioned that your cell reception isn't very good, that certainly could be a big contributor to your drain, because the radio has to work harder to find a signal. Also try GSam Battery Monitor, which can give you somewhat better breakdowns of battery use.

I just checked, and it shows time without a signal is 12%. Someone has suggested apps such as wake lock detector and better battery stats, I looked them up at Google play and they do not support non-rooted phone running kitkat. Seems that GSam Battery Monitor will work, I'm gonna give it a try

net62957

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I use almost the same settings except I keep my sync on 100% of the time. I get excellent battery usage and I stream Tunein Radio for 3-4 hours every morning. Usually when I get home I've got better than 50% remaining. I'm not a heavy user by any means other than a little morning radio.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante