Does it harm the phone to use a charger meant for another country or for another phone?

jksalomonsen

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I recently ordered a Nexus 5 from the UK since there was a reasonable amount of money to save compared to the prices in my country. I did not think the charger would be much of an issue because I already own an Android phone with a Danish power adaptor that connects with a usb so switching the usb cables would fix that problem, I thought. However, on google's support sites the recommend only to use the charger that comes with the phone and the travel adaptor if necessary.

Does it harm the battery to permanently use the UK charger + travel adaptor or to connect the Nexus 5 usb to a charger made for another phone? Power outlets in the UK and Denmark are both 230 V

thanks,
Jacob

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it helps but on my SG4 Mini I have been using my old BB charger at home and the original USB cable at work and I haven't noticed a problem with my battery performance. I even use the same chargers on my eReader and it accepts it and charges fast. Been doing this for long time now

Posted via Android Central App

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I should also mention I'm in UK and all chargers are UK and have also used them with travel adapters while on holiday and my gadgets all work fine with my set up

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it's bad but I've always just used Micro-USB as a standard - the device will pull what it needs. I use all of my device's chargers interchangeably.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cliro

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I use an old blackberry charger also, only because it has a nice long cord. I hate how most new phones now have a short cord.

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I use an old blackberry charger also, only because it has a nice long cord. I hate how most new phones now have a short cord.

That's one of my reasons for using them also. The usb one is short but works for my needs at my desk at work

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I can only speak from what I have experienced. I use a 2A Apple iPad charger as my primary charger at bed side for every device I own that uses some version of a USB cable (off the top of my head, a Sony PS Vita, iPad mini, iPhone 5s, Kindle, Nike Fuel Band, a Mophie Case, and a battery pack), and obviously some of my devices are designed for 1A charging. My understanding is that the output of the USB wall plug is what it can put out at max, but a USB device will only take what it can use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance