Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LegalAmerican
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Former Nexus 5 user considering a switch back...

I used a launch day Nexus 5 for about 3 weeks and got fed up with the camera performance and also the poor speaker quality/ sound.

Both have since been updated and I'm wondering how has the speaker performance improved if at all post updates. It's it noticibily different or only marginally better?

Sent from my iPhone using

Default Re: Former Nexus 5 user considering a switch back...

I bought a Nexus 5 and played with it for about a week or so. The very low volume on it was a non starter for me. I shipped it to a buddy of mine to play with. He noticed that issue right away but the updates hit the next day. He told me the volume levels increased significantly. I've since gotten it back and can confirm it's definitely louder. As for the camera . . . I thought it took good pics before the update. In fact it takes pics in certain situations that look better than my iPhone 5S but ymmv

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

I kept my Nexus 5 and the update helped significantly. The speaker still won't blow your mind but it is bearable now. I doubt I would have hung onto the phone long enough to get the update if I didn't have my 1520 to fall back on. I'm glad I did now as most of the issues I had have been resolved as much as they can be.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

The update didn't make it an HTC One so if you need dangerously loud speakers, you won't be happy. For ringtones, basic music listening and notifications it's fine. Camera was good before and better after.

Posted via Android Central App
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    TgeekB likes this.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I agree with the above. Depending on what your expectations are, the soundly still be an issue. Though, camera is working just fine since the last update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

The speakers are a sore spot in an otherwise fantastic phone. It's particularly embarrassing next to the smaller Moto X's speakers.

Overall, the Nexus 5 is the best handset I've owned thus far (previously phones include the HTC One and iPhone 5).
    Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,245 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

Both sound and camera have improved for the better. The nice thing about the Nexus line is the ease of tweaking things in the dev side. There's a sound kernel that can improve the sound even more, which I'm considering trying it out.

Posted via the awesomest of awesome Android Central App on my Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 5--rooted
    HTC Nexus One--my first Android (still alive and kicking)
    HP TouchPad--dual-boot and ported CM10.1
    Pebble smartwatch
    Nike+ SportWatch GPS
    MacBook Pro--guilty pleasure

The Nexus 5 speaker with the update is as good or better than any phone I have had. I did replace my call tones with tones from the Zedge App that are much louder than the stock tones. My N5 was downstairs today and I had no issue waking me up in my upstairs bedroom for a early phone call. I don't want it any louder. If I want to listen to music I don't want a mono speaker that both the Apple 5s and Nexus 5 both only have one speaker. So for music I have my new LG Tone+ hbs-730 wireless bluetooth headset that sounds great.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Update made the sound significantly better. I didn't even consider it useable before. Works great now. Very happy. Launch unit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have barely touched my Nexus 5 since I moved the SIM card to my Nokia 1520.
    I never expected the speakers to be usable for much. I have a Sony MW1 stereo Bluetooth, works great for calls and music.
    I miss the portability of the N5, this NL1520 is giving me a hard time. But I love the larger screen.
    I had to buy both to satisfy my Lust.
    I haven't even installed the 4.4.2 update. Looks like I am still at 4.4
    Battery usage, 13 days on battery, the last time I charged it, currently at 6 1/2 days.
    Chrome kicks Internet Explorers *** for speed. I wonder how it would perform on the NL1520?