Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 VS Galaxy S3 LTE (T-Mobile)

Hi there. I used to own a Galaxy S3 T999 and bought N5 for LTE. Now that I had my N5 for some time I find things I don't like about it, things I had 0 problems with S3.

1. Microphone. (left dozens of messages from dozen display models at T-Mobile and sprint stores. All phones sound better than N5, with exception may be of Sprint's G2 )
    2. Speaker is not as loud (the top one). At the beginning the bottom speaker was way too quiet, I couldn't even hear the phone ring and had to select the loudest ringtone, but I think that got fixed with 4.4.2
    3. Wifi. described it here
    4. HSPA speed. I'm not sure what N5 3g is, but it displays H. using speedtest the download speeds on S3 T999 (non-lte) are more consistent than N5 3g. I have them sitting on the same table and usually get 13-15 with both, but 1 out 5 or so tests N5 would get around 6 or network communication issue for no obvious reason, while S3 would deliver consistent results. I moved them around - no difference. It just seems like something is interfering with N5, but not with S3. Seems very similar to issue #3, where other devices delivered consistent results, while N5 didn't.
    5. Screen size. Well, this one is debatable, but I think because of on screen buttons N5 screen is smaller.

Of course there are things I like about N5 better than S3.
    1. Speed. I don't play games and don't watch videos, but N5 is noticeably faster on every screen than S3 JB 4.3
    2. Kitkat. I like everything about the OS, except the missing speed dial and calls log missing date\time info. Also, sometimes proximity sensor stops working when I'm on call and I have to wake up the screen by pushing the power button (I used to use power button to end call on S3, but because of this issue I can't use it on N5. wonder if there's a fix for it)
    3. Battery charging speed.
    I also like the way N5 feels in hand, but that may be due to Diztronics case with xtreemguard whlie my s3 is naked. I didn't like diztronics much at first, but love it now.

I wonder if anyone has both and can tell me what S3 is like with KitKat. Is it noticeably faster than with JB 4.3? I don't expect it to be as fast as N5, but assuming I don't play games - is it still noticeably slower than N5? I can live with many N5 issues I listed above, but not the microphone one.
    Price is the main reason I'm looking at S3 and not S4 or other models.

Thanks
    Last edited by nikon5400; 01-20-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Nexus 5 VS Galaxy S3 LTE (T-Mobile)

Quote Originally Posted by nikon5400 View Post
    Hi there. I used to own a Galaxy S3 T999 and bought N5 for LTE. Now that I had my N5 for some time I find things I don't like about it, things I had 0 problems with S3.

1. Microphone. (left dozens of messages from dozen display models at T-Mobile and sprint stores. All phones sound better than N5, with exception may be of Sprint's G2 )
    2. Speaker is not as loud (the top one). At the beginning the bottom speaker was way too quiet, I couldn't even hear the phone ring and had to select the loudest ringtone, but I think that got fixed with 4.4.2
    4. HSPA speed. I'm not sure what N5 3g is, but it displays H. using speedtest the download speeds on S3 T999 (non-lte) are more consistent than N5 3g. I have them sitting on the same table and usually get 13-15 with both, but 1 out 5 or so tests N5 would get around 6 or network communication issue for no obvious reason, while S3 would deliver consistent results. I moved them around - no difference. It just seems like something is interfering with N5, but not with S3. Seems very similar to issue #3, where other devices delivered consistent results, while N5 didn't.
    5. Screen size. Well, this one is debatable, but I think because of on screen buttons N5 screen is smaller.

1. Speed. I don't play games and don't watch videos, but N5 is noticeably faster on every screen than S3 JB 4.3
    2. Kitkat. I like everything about the OS, except the missing speed dial and calls log missing date\time info. Also, sometimes proximity sensor stops working when I'm on call and I have to wake up the screen by pushing the power button (I used to use power button to end call on S3, but because of this issue I can't use it on N5. wonder if there's a fix for it)
    I also like the way N5 feels, but that may be due to Diztronics case with xtreemguard whlie my s3 is naked. I didn't like diztronics much at first, but love it now.

I wonder if anyone has both and can tell me what S3 is like with KitKat. Is it noticeably faster than with JB 4.3? I don't expect it to be as fast as N5, but assuming I don't play games - is it still noticeably slower than N5? I can live with many N5 issues I listed above, but not the microphone one.

Thanks
    The S3 doesn't have Kit Kat, there is nothing confirmed and seeing as it took over a year to update from 4.1.2 I'm not even sure it'll get it :\
    I'd stay with the Nexus 5. The S3 isn't going to be updated much longer, if at all...while the N5 is going to get them for at least 18 months. Everything about the Nexus is better than the S3 save for maybe the camera.
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I was referring to custom kitkat rom for S3, although it seems like samsung is working on one as well. But I think CM11 would be faster than samsung's

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I was referring to custom kitkat rom for S3, although it seems like samsung is working on one as well. But I think CM11 would be faster than samsung's
    CM is stock Android so it wouldn't be anything like the stock Samsung KK ROM. Anyway, if you get the LTE S3 you'd get it on 4.3, no custom ROMs for now

Posted via Android Central App

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I think there's a CM11 for T999, which works with T999L with minor tweaks. I've never installed custom roms on phones before, so I don't know all the details

I also like the way N5 feels, but that may be due to Diztronics case with xtreemguard whlie my s3 is naked. I didn't like diztronics much at first, but love it now.

Thanks
    Why do you even want to keep the S3? It's a 2 year old handset almost... If ur'e not happy with the Nexus 5, I suggest you sell it and get the LG G2.. You will have 0 complaints and if you want stock android, there are plenty of custom ROMs on XDA..

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Sean473 View Post
    Why do you even want to keep the S3? It's a 2 year old handset almost... If ur'e not happy with the Nexus 5, I suggest you sell it and get the LG G2.. You will have 0 complaints and if you want stock android, there are plenty of custom ROMs on XDA..

I'm not a heavy user. T-Mobile S3 is half the price of G2 these days. It is slower, but if custom kitkat rom can make it faster I should be happy with it.

I know it may sound silly these days, but I also like removable battery option. This phone will still be usable after a year or two for people like my parents, who just need big numbers and battery that lasts. I seriously doubt 2yr old phones with non-removable battery last long enough.

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I'm not a heavy user. T-Mobile S3 is half the price of G2 these days. It is slower, but if custom kitkat rom can make it faster I should be happy with it.

I know it may sound silly these days, but I also like removable battery option. This phone will still be usable after a year or two for people like my parents, who just need big numbers and battery that lasts. I seriously doubt 2yr old phones with non-removable battery last long enough.
    How much is the S3 with LTE? The G2 is $500 off-contract last time I checked. Haven't seen the S3 for less than $350 brand new

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    How much is the S3 with LTE? The G2 is $500 off-contract last time I checked. Haven't seen the S3 for less than $350 brand new
    G2 is $600+ tax at T-Mobile. New S3 LTE has been on sale for less than $350 a couple times
    Last edited by nikon5400; 01-01-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

G2 is $600+ tax at T-Mobile. New S3 LTE has been on sale for less than $350 a couple times
    Hmm, wonder where I saw the $500 then lol
    Well the Moto X is $399 outright now, even though it doesn't have a removable battery. It'll last longer on a charge than the S3 or the Nexus 5 if it's that important to you. Speed is comparable to the N5

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Hmm, wonder where I saw the $500 then lol
    Well the Moto X is $399 outright now, even though it doesn't have a removable battery. It'll last longer on a charge than the S3 or the Nexus 5 if it's that important to you. Speed is comparable to the N5
    Moto X is great and I could get it for $350 during holidays. I couldn't decide between it and N5. I love the way Moto X feels in hand, but then once you put case on them they all feel the same. Extra features it has are nice, but dynamicnotifications woks for me and "Ok Google" - I don't know how useful it is.

But when I look back at S3 - it has bigger screen, removable battery, great microphone and speaker.. plus I can get it even cheaper than the lowest price I've seen. The only thing I'd really want to see before I pull the trigger - how much better is it running KitKat. If it's better than with JB4.3 and everything is supported 100% and bug free, I'm sold.

GS3 is $299 from WM. It's the LTE version too so that's a bonus.

A week ago or so, you could have had the S3 from Target for pretty cheap. It was on sale for $275...10% off for their CC snafu, add in another 5% for the red card discount...It was around 235 plus tax. I picked on up for this price since I had some other stuff to return for credit too.

Comparing it to my nexus 5...I'd say it's nicer to hold than the nexus 5 and better camera. That's the only thing that's better. The UI on the N5 is much snappier...haven't tested the radios yet, but they seem about the same speed to me.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Moto X is great and I could get it for $350 during holidays. I couldn't decide between it and N5. I love the way Moto X feels in hand, but then once you put case on them they all feel the same. Extra features it has are nice, but dynamicnotifications woks for me and "Ok Google" - I don't know how useful it is.

But when I look back at S3 - it has bigger screen, removable battery, great microphone and speaker.. plus I can get it even cheaper than the lowest price I've seen. The only thing I'd really want to see before I pull the trigger - how much better is it running KitKat. If it's better than with JB4.3 and everything is supported 100% and bug free, I'm sold.
    It's all a matter of personal preference. The following are my opinions after owning both phones.

I had the S3 for a couple years and in my opinion the N5 is a much better phone. There is no way I would go back. The N5 has a much better battery life, much easier to read the screen in daylight, much faster processor, and the camera takes better photos in low-light. Photos in the daytime are equal, if not a little better. I absolutely hated the Touchwiz overlay that Samsung puts on their phones, and my experience was that CM was too buggy after rooting. Relying on Samsung to provide Of updates is an exercise in futility.

YMMV
    Robbie317 and mrsmumbles like this.

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

CM is never bug free :\ Should still run better than TouchWiz though if all you need is speed
    The GS3 screen is only slightly bigger than the X (0.1 inches) Mic and speaker are better than the S3's but again no removable battery.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

The GS3 screen is only slightly bigger than the X (0.1 inches)
    You are looking at specs...
    Samsung keeps buttons off the screen, which makes viewing area on GS3 screen slightly larger than Nexus 5 and probably a lot larger than Moto X. Nexus 5 and Moto X buttons take up a chunk of the viewing area
    Resolution is smaller than on N5, I don't think I need 1080p on 5"

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Samsung keeps buttons off the screen, which makes viewing area on GS3 screen slightly larger than Nexus 5 and probably a lot larger than Moto X. Nexus 5 and Moto X buttons take up a chunk of the viewing area
    You only really need the big screen during movies/videos and games. They go away at those times. Plus you get a much smaller device with the on-screen buttons.
    Seems like you're really trying to convince yourself to get the S3 with LTE, so I think you should just go with that

, I couldn't even hear the phone ring and had to select the loudest ringtone, but I think that got fixed with 4.4.2
    The stock Ring Tones with the N5 are very soft. Download and pick some sounds that will ring loud now that you have the 4.4.2 update. If that isn't loud enough search for "Loud Ringtones" in the Play Store and some of them will wake the Dead.
    B. Diddy and mrsmumbles like this.

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

^ This ^

My 2 cents, I would not pay $300-$350 for a 2 year old phone (GS3 LTE) when I can get a 4 month old phone (the Moto X) for $400. To answer your question about "Okay Google Now"s usefulness, it is extremely useful. I didn't even realize how often voice is a more convinient input method than touch until I had a Moto X. Walking the dog and don't want to drop your phone while using it with one hand if the dog chases after a squirrel or something (it happened the second day I had my HTC One), use voice commands to dial or text. Driving? Use voice to text someone that you are running late/on the way/whatever. Holding your kid and don't want to risk dropping the phone? Use voice commands. For me, an always listening voice command mode is a must have feature for a phone going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Holding your kid and don't want to risk dropping the phone? Use voice commands.
    Instant classic! Obviously I get your point but that needs to be on a t-shirt

Sent from my Nexus 5
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    My 2 cents, I would not pay $300-$350 for a 2 year old phone (GS3 LTE) when I can get a 4 month old phone (the Moto X) for $400. To answer your question about "Okay Google Now"s usefulness, it is extremely useful. I didn't even realize how often voice is a more convinient input method than touch until I had a Moto X. Walking the dog and don't want to drop your phone while using it with one hand if the dog chases after a squirrel or something (it happened the second day I had my HTC One), use voice commands to dial or text. Driving? Use voice to text someone that you are running late/on the way/whatever. Holding your kid and don't want to risk dropping the phone? Use voice commands. For me, an always listening voice command mode is a must have feature for a phone going forward.
    Well, I agree with you. I just don't have a dog nor hold a kit. But I'm sure if I had Moto X I'd find use of this feature. As for Moto X being 4 months old - that's not 100% accurate. While it is 4 months old, the hardware it uses is older than that. I think they did a great job with their processor cores allowing these extra features and I was about to buy it, but then new phones are going to come in a couple months and they may support these features, while they'll be more biffed up and may cost not much more. As for GS3 LTE - I can get it for less than $250 with my discounts, that's why I feel like it's such a good deal considering I can use it for a year or so and pass it on to my parents who just need big numbers.

Does anyone have kitkat on GS3? I'd really like to know if kitkat removes all the sluggishness from this phone.

Thanks all

Well, I agree with you. I just don't have a dog nor hold a kit. But I'm sure if I had Moto X I'd find use of this feature. As for Moto X being 4 months old - that's not 100% accurate. While it is 4 months old, the hardware it uses is older than that. I think they did a great job with their processor cores allowing these extra features and I was about to buy it, but then new phones are going to come in a couple months and they may support these features, while they'll be more biffed up and may cost not much more. As for GS3 LTE - I can get it for less than $250 with my discounts, that's why I feel like it's such a good deal considering I can use it for a year or so and pass it on to my parents who just need big numbers.

Does anyone have kitkat on GS3? I'd really like to know if kitkat removes all the sluggishness from this phone.

Thanks all
    I would even have a hard time paying $250 for it. Developement for it (both official and unofficial) is going to start to trail off in the next 6-12 months as more and more people who bough it upgrade and the user base drops significantly. And yes, the X8 is based off an older S4 processor, but Motorola has done a lot of tweaking and optimization. I've used phones that had the standard S4 the X8 is based on, the X8 is noticably faster. I see no difference in performance between the X8 and the SnapDragon 600 my HTC One GPe had.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by limdoug View Post
    Comparing it to my nexus 5...I'd say it's nicer to hold than the nexus 5 and better camera. That's the only thing that's better. The UI on the N5 is much snappier...haven't tested the radios yet, but they seem about the same speed to me.
    Can you do me a HUGE favor?? Can you call some other phone from both phones, N5 and GS3 and leave voice messages? But please use the handset, not the hands-free and not the speakerphone. Then please compare the sound quality of your messages. If your result will be different than mine, I may consider exchanging my N5 instead. It's just, as I mentioned in 1st post, I compared store displays, so every N5 I used was faulty. But may be mine and store displays are from the first batch and LG addressed the mic issue already

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by nikon5400; 01-08-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Keep in mind this is why the Google Experience Launcher allows the softkeys to disappear almost all the time. Making the loss of screen size non-existent. The only time those buttons take up real estate, are times when screen size doesn't really matter to me (dialing phone numbers, sending a text, etc). The times where you want the big screen, those buttons vanish.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    Keep in mind this is why the Google Experience Launcher allows the softkeys to disappear almost all the time. Making the loss of screen size non-existent. The only time those buttons take up real estate, are times when screen size doesn't really matter to me (dialing phone numbers, sending a text, etc). The times where you want the big screen, those buttons vanish.
    I thought that's how it supposed to work, but I never saw them disappear . Do you have to enable something to hide them or they disappear for certain programs automatically? They hide for me during youtube, but the space they use doesn't get used anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast