PC recognizes Nexus but then I can't access my storage

adi_rstech

May 19, 2014
Visit site
You have to make sure you are signed into Master account on your Nexus 7, as it now supports multiple users.

Make sure you are signed into device as Master and you should be able to use USB Storage on simply connecting to PC.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
All this stuffing around with software, drivers, devices etc is not necessary. For heavens have a good look at Airdroid. It's simply superb.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
All this stuffing around with software, drivers, devices etc is not necessary.

? If you don't have MTP support in your [desktop/laptop] OS, then you can't file transfer with the USB cable. So it can be necessary, unless you want to use something like Airdroid instead.

I hate MTP, but understand why they switched to it.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
something real simple i've found, sometimes when you plug in the nexus 5, make sure it's screen ISN'T LOCKED, for it won't show it's volume on the pc in mass storage;

test it, plug it in & let the screen go off, then navigate to it's volume in windows under nexus 5, it won't show, *until you unlock the nexus 5*..

then it's volume appears..

wildchild_pt

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
something real simple i've found, sometimes when you plug in the nexus 5, make sure it's screen ISN'T LOCKED, for it won't show it's volume on the pc in mass storage;

test it, plug it in & let the screen go off, then navigate to it's volume in windows under nexus 5, it won't show, *until you unlock the nexus 5*..

Thanks! My nexus 7 would appear as a drive, but I could not see the internal storage, your solution worked for me, as simple as unlocking the device and accessing the drive.
Thanks!

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reminder - it seems obvious, till it isn't! lol!
It is by design - without this, anyone who could get to your phone could access every file on your phone just by plugging it into a computer (even if it was locked).
(not to say it isn't possible to bypass it, especially if your bootloader is unlocked, but why make it super-easy?) :)

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
A tip for people moving files, there is an option in the Developer Options to "Stay Awake", this keeps your phone awake while charging. I typically turn this on, while my phone is connected to the PC to keep the screen on, and then turn it off when I am done.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
A tip for people moving files, there is an option in the Developer Options to "Stay Awake", this keeps your phone awake while charging. I typically turn this on, while my phone is connected to the PC to keep the screen on, and then turn it off when I am done.

You don't really need to do that - once the phone is recognized by the computer, you can still access the phone's storage even after screen turns off.

Noelarne

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for putting this answer on. I lost connection to my phone after a windows update and not being great with computers it's been doing my head in trying to figure out how to fix it. Worked perfectly.

Chris Johnson19

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I found this on another website and it worked for me: "got to Settings > Storage > 3 dots > USB connection. Check if MTP is ticked. If it is try to tick PTP to see if your device will then be recognized."

babygoro

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem after installing a very annoying update from Microsoft

The problem is that any time you plug in a nexus (I got 5 and 7) it was using the ACER ADB driver (as shown in the device manager)

you must remove AND DELETE the driver from the device manager

and then you have to "how to disable automatic driver installation in windows 7" (google it, as my junior membership does not allow me to post links)

It all worked now... let see for how long

Babygoro

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem after installing a very annoying update from Microsoft

The problem is that any time you plug in a nexus (I got 5 and 7) it was using the ACER ADB driver (as shown in the device manager)

you must remove AND DELETE the driver from the device manager

and then you have to "how to disable automatic driver installation in windows 7" (google it, as my junior membership does not allow me to post links)

It all worked now... let see for how long

Babygoro
Exactly what I have. Saturday evening I was going nuts trying to get my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 to see the drive on the computer. I tried different cables but then I realized that windows most likely thinks that I am running in ADB mode so I went into device manager and uninstalled the driver. Then I plugged the Nexus 5 back in, it installed drivers and it saw it as a drive no problem. Since I don't connect the devices to the computer much as I upload almost everything on Google Drive this seems it happen when I do need to copy and move stuff to devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol