Switched to Android today

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
So I decided this morning that I was finally make my switch from Apple to Android. I'm enjoying Android in general but I fear I may have chosen the wrong phone to do it with.

This morning I purchased the note 3. The phone is definitely packing the specifications that I'm looking for... But Samsung really gives me the same feeling of being "locked down" in a sense.

So I'm having a bit of buyers remorse. I've watched further reviews and weighed my options. It seems the nexus 5 would be my best choice.

I want full flexibility, latest updates, root access, a good camera, no ****ty bloatware and smooth buttery performance.

Do I have to worry about the nexus line when it comes to rooting? Will I constantly be playing cat and mouse to keep my updates coming?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I believe the Nexus Line is just perfect for rooting. The sequence for unlocking the Bootloader is just down to its simplest on the Nexus...

The commands are the standard ones and no more than a Google search can get those up...

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is Carrier unlocked, but yes, the Bootloader is locked. As Speedygi said though, it is a very easy process with either the CMD line on your computer or through several toolkits that have been put together to make the process pretty much push button easy (Though, and this is really for a different thread, I would say that if you use the toolkit, you still need to understand the process). With the Nexus phones becoming phones that more and more consumers look at, Google needs to protect them selves and lock to bootloader and not give you Root access at the get go. The process is hard enough to keep most people out that shouldn't be messing with things anyway, buy easy enough that it dose not hinder those of us that know what we are getting our selves into.

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Now assuming I don't want to install a custom rom, I can root without unlocking the boot loader correct? Also, does unlocking the boot loader void any warranties?

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
My understanding is that yes, you can gain Root with out unlocking the Bootloader. Does it directly Void the warranty? No, but per the screen that pops up when you do unlock the Bootloader, it MAY (IE, you now have more access and control, if you melt it with too much OC because you had Root, no, you did that, it won't be covered). As far as getting root alone, this link to XDA has a tool that can assist, if you like: [Nexus 5] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers

Also, this link is to a different tool on XDA. It can Root, unlock the Bootloader, Flash a custom Recovery, and even flash a rooted Rom for you, it also has the ability to return your Nexus 5 back to fully out of the box stock, however, even with that option, there is always the risk that you can't return to stock, or that if you have issues, you may not be able to recover (but that is part of the fun :) )
[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.0 [Updated 12/26/13] - xda-developers

Another Handy Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2510966

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes, you would have to search around for commands, or, the Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit that I linked in my prior post has the ability as well.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just to be clear, you unlock the bootloader in order to root the Nexus 5. Once rooted, you can relock the bootloader and/or flash the stock recovery. But the bootloader needs to be unlocked first.

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
The hardest part in rooting a Nexus is downloading and installing the drivers. Other than that, it takes less than a few minutes to root.

Sent from my mobile device using an app.

techydavid

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
So I decided this morning that I was finally make my switch from Apple to Android. I'm enjoying Android in general but I fear I may have chosen the wrong phone to do it with.

This morning I purchased the note 3. The phone is definitely packing the specifications that I'm looking for... But Samsung really gives me the same feeling of being "locked down" in a sense.

So I'm having a bit of buyers remorse. I've watched further reviews and weighed my options. It seems the nexus 5 would be my best choice.

I want full flexibility, latest updates, root access, a good camera, no ****ty bloatware and smooth buttery performance.

Do I have to worry about the nexus line when it comes to rooting? Will I constantly be playing cat and mouse to keep my updates coming?

Hello! Glad you made the jump from Crapple today. Yeah If you don't want 100 odd apps clogging your space then don't get a Samsung. If you root then the only way to get updates is to custom ROM or unroot. If that is boat true for nexus phones someone correct me.
If you want smooth performance Nexus is the place. as with full access, and no bloat.
Hope this helped!

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

• Full flexibility - you can get it on the Note 3 or on Nexus 5 (Depending on what 'flexibility' you want, you may need to be rooted - but that too is possible on both phones)
  • Latest updates - with Note 3 (or any non-Nexus non-GPE device), you will (usually) have to wait at least a couple of months.
  • Good camera - hate to say this, but the Note 3 camera software is much better than the N5's camera. The 4.4.2 update recently improved the N5's camera significantly, and don't get me wrong - it gets really great pictures. But the Note 3 / S4 camera software has some pretty neat features that are not available on the N5's camera.
  • No bloatware - you will need a Nexus of GPE device for that. BUT you should be able to disable most bloatware from your Note 3 - and to be honest, even if you leave it running, it isn't going to hurt performance too much in day-to-day use. It is a pretty snappy device.
  • Smooth buttery performance - the Nexus 5 will have the edge on this, but not by too much. Again, the Note 3 hardware is good enough to overcome the touchwiz induced lag

Regarding rooting - you can easily root the N5 if you need root (who knows - once you play with it, maybe you'd realize that you don't even need root). Your updates will be timely, at least for the first 2 years (till google decides to drop support for the Nexus 5). But even after that, you can always install other ROMs pretty easily.

(I switched from the S4 for the Nexus 5)

Regarding unlocking, yes, bootloader can be relocked and the tamper flag can be reset. Personally, I'd recommend not using a rootkit, and instead, do it step by step yourself. That will allow you to learn exactly what is happening in the background, and what needs to be done in case you want to do something different. If you know how to use the command prompt and are familiar with basic windows functions, it is fairly straightforward.

Read first post at [GUIDE] Nexus 5 - How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root - xda-developers for how to unlock and root (remember that all data will be wiped when you unlock your bootloader)
Read first post at [TUTORIAL] How to flash a factory image | Return to stock | Unroot your Nexus 5 - xda-developers for how to return to stock

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read both here and other websites, the note 3 currently is not Rootable without tripping the Knox 0x1. You used to be able to but Samsung caught on and updated their firmware because they were concerned about security regarding their Knox enabled devices.

To me this is the same as Apples incessant need to constantly fight those who want root access to their devices.

As for the camera, I would probably agree... However, all of the extra camera modes will likely only be used once or twice just to see that they work... I don't foresee using all of the options offered.

I'm also noticing in camera comparisons that the note 3 appears to over expose most shots and unrealistically warm the images... is this also others experiences?

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh and also, some of the bloatware is able to be disabled but a lot of it is not.

The Note 3 comes loaded with a ton of bloatware, even for a Samsung device. This is what drove me away from getting one. See the following for a listing of the bloatware and means for disabling some of it:

http://www.droidviews.com/remove-bloatware-on-samsung-galaxy-note-3/

Regarding OS updates on any Samsung device, they are notoriously poor in providing them in a timely manner. I've waited as long as a year for Samsung to push an update, and then it was still an older version. Frustrating to say the least.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read both here and other websites, the note 3 currently is not Rootable without tripping the Knox 0x1. You used to be able to but Samsung caught on and updated their firmware because they were concerned about security regarding their Knox enabled devices.

Knox counter - yes, that will get tripped (which is irreversible currently). Just as the Tamper flag gets tripped on Nexus 5 (which however is currently reversible)

Samsung warranty, for the first year, may be impacted by the Knox flag being tripped. (they should still honor it for hardware related issues, but YMMV). After rooting, if you run into software issues, that really shouldn't be sent back to Samsung for warranty now, should it? :)
I agree with the thought though - if I can revert back to original state, that should get my warranty reinstated even for software issues. Knox and delayed software updates were the reasons for me to switch from S4 to N5.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd give it a few more days if you can stick it out. There's not much you can do without root and being able to install a custom ROM. But in the meantime, consider installing a third-party launcher to get the look and feel of a stock device, which in my opinion also helps give the smoothness you make expect when using the device.

Keep us posted on what you plan on doing and if you get a Nexus 5 as a result of returning the N3.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd give it a few more days if you can stick it out. There's not much you can do without root and being able to install a custom ROM. But in the meantime, consider installing a third-party launcher to get the look and feel of a stock device, which in my opinion also helps give the smoothness you make expect when using the device.

Keep us posted on what you plan on doing and if you get a Nexus 5 as a result of returning the N3.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I'm holding onto the phone and getting used to Android as a whole as I wait for my Nexus 5 (which I ordered this morning 32gb black). I can't wait! ;-)

I do like the performance of the Note... but the slow updates, bloatware, and inability to root without screwing over my warranty are a heavy turn off for me. Shame on Samsung!

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The hardest part in rooting a Nexus is downloading and installing the drivers. Other than that, it takes less than a few minutes to root.

Sent from my mobile device using an app.

Agreed. Rooting mine took 3 hours of frustrating reboots and driver installs and uninstalls. Got it to work and it was well worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk