1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone Contacts not syncing with Google Account Contacts

Yesterday, I added a contact to my People app on my Nexus 5. According to the settings for that app, Auto-sync is on and includes my Google account. The phone claims that Contacts has been synced for my Google account. Yet, sitting here at my computer and looking at , that contact is not present. Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get these things to sync? Does syncing only work down and not up?

EDIT: I just checked my contacts on outlook.com (which I also have set to sync with the phone's People app), and the contact IS there. My Google phone is syncing better with Microsoft than with Google, itself?

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

Default Re: Phone Contacts not syncing with Google Account Contacts

Quote Originally Posted by David Lessnau View Post
    Yesterday, I added a contact to my People app on my Nexus 5. According to the settings for that app, Auto-sync is on and includes my Google account. The phone claims that Contacts has been synced for my Google account. Yet, sitting here at my computer and looking at , that contact is not present. Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get these things to sync? Does syncing only work down and not up?

EDIT: I just checked my contacts on outlook.com (which I also have set to sync with the phone's People app), and the contact IS there. My Google phone is syncing better with Microsoft than with Google, itself?
    I don't have multiple accounts on my phone, but when you added the contact, did you specify in which account you wanted to contact to be placed? Since it's showing up in Outlook, it sounds like that's where it ended up. If memory serves me, there should be a drop down at the top of the contact in the People app where you can change this.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Open System Settings > Accounts > Google and make sure you check the box next to "Contacts" to sync.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

System Settings | Accounts | Google shows Contacts being synced. But, it looks like jdk2's suggestion is where the problem is. Editing the specific contact in People shows my outlook.com account at the top. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way to edit this. So, I might have to re-create the contact with the proper syncing account.

It's odd that it's syncing with outlook.com because I don't recall setting that field at all. If I start a new contact, I'm given the option to choose where it syncs and the default is my Google account. I'm going to have to go through all my contacts on the phone and see where they're being synced. Up until now, I had been assuming they were being synced to ALL the accounts I told it to sync to. Not just one. Thanks.

I get a similar problem with my Motorola Moto G phone (android 4.4.2). The 'People' app shows contacts from all the accounts I've created on the phone: Google, Skype, Facebook and Outlook.com and if I remove the Google account from the phone the 'People' app tells me there is no suitable account to sync contacts with. Nb there doesnt seem to be a way to pick a different account to sync my contacts with, its Google or nothing; the contacts on my phone are never synced to the other accounts.

However, the contacts do not get synced to Google. On gmail I can only see my Google contacts. Nb if I create a new contact on the phone it gets created as a Google contact and gets synced to Google, if I create a new contact on Google it gets synced to the phone as a Google contact.

Motorola support told me to contact the app developer as it clearly was not a problem with the phone.