Phone Contacts not syncing with Google Account Contacts

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, I added a contact to my People app on my Nexus 5. According to the settings for that app, Auto-sync is on and includes my Google account. The phone claims that Contacts has been synced for my Google account. Yet, sitting here at my computer and looking at Redirecting..., that contact is not present. Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get these things to sync? Does syncing only work down and not up?

EDIT: I just checked my contacts on outlook.com (which I also have set to sync with the phone's People app), and the contact IS there. My Google phone is syncing better with Microsoft than with Google, itself?

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday, I added a contact to my People app on my Nexus 5. According to the settings for that app, Auto-sync is on and includes my Google account. The phone claims that Contacts has been synced for my Google account. Yet, sitting here at my computer and looking at Redirecting..., that contact is not present. Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get these things to sync? Does syncing only work down and not up?

EDIT: I just checked my contacts on outlook.com (which I also have set to sync with the phone's People app), and the contact IS there. My Google phone is syncing better with Microsoft than with Google, itself?
I don't have multiple accounts on my phone, but when you added the contact, did you specify in which account you wanted to contact to be placed? Since it's showing up in Outlook, it sounds like that's where it ended up. If memory serves me, there should be a drop down at the top of the contact in the People app where you can change this.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
System Settings | Accounts | Google shows Contacts being synced. But, it looks like jdk2's suggestion is where the problem is. Editing the specific contact in People shows my outlook.com account at the top. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way to edit this. So, I might have to re-create the contact with the proper syncing account.

It's odd that it's syncing with outlook.com because I don't recall setting that field at all. If I start a new contact, I'm given the option to choose where it syncs and the default is my Google account. I'm going to have to go through all my contacts on the phone and see where they're being synced. Up until now, I had been assuming they were being synced to ALL the accounts I told it to sync to. Not just one. Thanks.

JohnPartington

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I get a similar problem with my Motorola Moto G phone (android 4.4.2). The 'People' app shows contacts from all the accounts I've created on the phone: Google, Skype, Facebook and Outlook.com and if I remove the Google account from the phone the 'People' app tells me there is no suitable account to sync contacts with. Nb there doesnt seem to be a way to pick a different account to sync my contacts with, its Google or nothing; the contacts on my phone are never synced to the other accounts.

However, the contacts do not get synced to Google. On gmail I can only see my Google contacts. Nb if I create a new contact on the phone it gets created as a Google contact and gets synced to Google, if I create a new contact on Google it gets synced to the phone as a Google contact.

Motorola support told me to contact the app developer as it clearly was not a problem with the phone.

meeester

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I re-enabled some built in apps and got my sync back. I had disabled the built in Contacts and Email and Google Search and some others.
Update: I take it back. Immediate response on the phone was to show that it was synced. Now it says "Sync is currently experiencing problems. it will be back shortly."
It has been saying that for months.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ru.ivary.ContactsSyncFix&hl=en&token=jV23VvaO
Fixed my sync problem

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFront40

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Resolved...One Way Sync Google contacts

I determined that when you create a contact on your phone you must link it to your gmail account first .... otherwise the contact is default stored on your phone and will not sync to Google. See the drop down menu to select.

There is no way to edit and change the link after you have created the contact. There is no issue with Google sync.

You can verify by looking at an existing phone contact that was created on your PC and compare that with a contact created using your phone.

Now create all new contacts linked to your Google account on your phone and they will sync online in in ~5 seconds.

FatLipp

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Resolved...One Way Sync Google contacts

I determined that when you create a contact on your phone you must link it to your gmail account first .... otherwise the contact is default stored on your phone and will not sync to Google. See the drop down menu to select.

There is no way to edit and change the link after you have created the contact. There is no issue with Google sync.

You can verify by looking at an existing phone contact that was created on your PC and compare that with a contact created using your phone.

Now create all new contacts linked to your Google account on your phone and they will sync online in in ~5 seconds.

FatLipp

This is how mine works too. Contacts that came from Exchange do not sync with Google. Not sure if by design. But wish they did.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bempa68

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi.
No thats not it for me at least.
Always get the question which Google acount to add in.
Tried both Go contacts and teh built in.
I have to use Contacts Sync fix every time I add a contact.
Been that way for over a year with different phones and Roms.
:(
More suggestions?

jatinpatel

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I have just formatted my phone as the device was heating up like a thermal nuclear missile and burning my hand. Then the phone was slow down to a grind and or just slowly take its time to do anything like a tortoise.
So I synched all my contacts in Gmail, LinkedIN, Whatsup, Viber, etc etc
To make life easier I thought I would be smart and install cyanogeonmod, this worked successfully. Then sintalled Gapps.
However I have a BIG problem. My contacts have not synched. My last synch was in mid september and I installed cyanogeon last week 23rd september and no contacts have pulled through.

I have checked my Gmail from a desktop, then checked in linkedin and hotmail and none of my contacts have synched. The labels section has been checked.

Any ideas and helps, would there be any contacts stored on my phone somewhere as all the data is on he phone still?

HELP Please. thanks

Paul_Taylor

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Galaxy S5

My solution was to use the pull-down menu at the top of the phone's add contact screen, and select "Google", then go ahead and add the contact. This is not mentioned in the User Manual, or anywhere else I can find...I found it by trial & error.

The pull-down menu at the top of the screen defaults to "Device" on new phones. Once you select "Google" it will continue to default to that setting.

Another surprise: when you look at a contact, it has a section headed "Connected via". If that section shows a phone icon, the contact is not linked to Google Contacts: if it has a stylized "g", it is linked to Google Contacts and will be synced.

If you have added contacts to "Device" (which you certainly have or you would not be reading this), I know of no way of editing that setting: the only solution I have found is to delete the contact, and add it with the "Connected via" set to Google.

ozmo1911

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I had a slightly different problem with my Nexus 5, noting it here in case someone has the same issue: Some Gmail contacts were not syncing to the phone, as they didn't appear in the phone's 'People' app.

Specifically, a contact I added via the 'invite to chat' function in Hangouts/Gchat showed up in my contacts, but didn't appear in the stock People app. I found that the People app only seems to sync contacts that've been added to My Contacts, or to one of the user-defined contact groups. The contact I added via Hangouts wasn't in any group at all, but appeared on the phone after I hit "Add to My Contacts". Adding the person to one of your user-defined groups will automatically add them to My Contacts, as well.

Some third-party apps (notably, the one from Samsung) seem to allow to option of including contacts outside of the My Contacts group. The way People does it makes sense - you don't want all the people in the 'Other Contacts' list (like newsletters, order status emails, spammers and other non-humans) to show up on your phone. Ideally, anyone you add as a chat contact in Hangouts should automatically get added to My Contacts, but this is fine for now.

Smokey22

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, there is a work-around for this problem if you have saved a contact to your Samsung Galaxy 5 and not via Google. Add a contact with the same name (or an edited one, it doesn't matter), save that one via Google - and then use the Link option from the menu you get when you click on the 3 dots at the top right to link the two. The contact will be saved both on your phone and in Google.

Sorry, I was wrong - only the name is saved to Google, not the info on the device. Apologies, now I'm entering via Google, unlinking the contacts, and deleting the one on the device.

Last edited:

cableclip

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
I had the same problem, the solution is simple however.

Export your contacts as vcard or similar, then import them again, you should then be asked which email account you want them associated with.

Hope this helps someone.
Cheers!

JulyPerez

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
This is the Final Solution for me:
1.-Go to Contacts
2.-Hit MENU and select CONTACTS TO DISPLAY, and select "DEVICE", a blue phone. Then, only contacts on your Phone will appear.
3.-Hit MENU and Select MERGE ACCOUNTS, select the option MERGE WITH GOOGLE, all the contacts will be merged with google
4.-When it finishes go back and select MENU again, and CONTACTS TO DISPLAY and select ALL CONTACTS, to display all your contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith