Nexus 5 battery life

chobits

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
We will have Pre-order opening soon here in Indonesia, and I'm very interested
How is its battery life compared to Nexus 4?

What is your opinion on Nexus 5 battery life?
Please share your experience

Thanks

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Thanks
Stock, the battery life has been comparable to the Nexus 4 and edging it out slightly. Personally, it's good for me since I was coming from a GS2.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got the Nexus 5, and for me it is hard to say about battery life. The biggest reason is for my carrier, Sprint, my mobile signal is rather weak, which has a negative effect on battery life.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Thanks

Compared to the N4 it hasn't been good for me. Maybe it's the extra screen real estate, or the LTE, but it's not impressive. I actually unlocked and rooted just to install a kernel to give myself better battery life. Overnight I lost 30% one night. I love the N5, though, and will give it more time. The N4 started off the same way but got better with concurrent updates and use.

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I switched to ART on day one and charged my phone to max i then turned off mobile data but its set to 3g seeing as i have no option to switch to 2g and 3g in my area is poor on O2 UK and over night on battery it lost 1%. My S4 Mini would lose about 5% with no mobile a and set to 2g. I read this phone can preserve battery when listening to music and screen off so I'm pleased with that alone since i like to use it for music when in the car or out and about.

Posted via Android Central App

mattjopete

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
The battery is good enough to get through a day of moderate usage. The only times I get close to running out of battery are when I play games for extended periods of time.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Watching videos, downloading large files, and uploading to Drive are hard on the battery for me. Otherwise it's doing pretty well but I do still only use it on WiFi. I get at least a day from it with 4 to 6+ hours screen on time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
While the battery life isn't impressive, stock I was able to squeeze my whole 17 hour day in with 20-30 percent left over. Running ART and Franco's kernel with a -75mV undervolt. I now can get through the day with anything from 30-55% left in the tank. Days I don't use it as much I have seen 70% when I plug it in for the night.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Here are some examples of a heavy use day and a normal day for me. Heavy being 3+ hours of screen time and normal being somewhere just over an over of screen time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1388849426043.jpg
    1388849426043.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 112
  • 1388849452160.jpg
    1388849452160.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 111

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
It's fantastic. I had a Galaxy Nexus before my N5 and the N5 blows the GNex out of the water. I've gone over 24 hours multiple times on a charge with my N5 (admittedly very usage), but never got more than 12-15 hours of use out of my GNex under similar usage. Typical life for GNex was 8-10 hours, barely. I consistently get 15+ with N5, and usually still have 30-40% of my battery left when I go to bed at night. Also charges very quickly.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Compared to the N4 it hasn't been good for me. Maybe it's the extra screen real estate, or the LTE, but it's not impressive. I actually unlocked and rooted just to install a kernel to give myself better battery life. Overnight I lost 30% one night. I love the N5, though, and will give it more time. The N4 started off the same way but got better with concurrent updates and use.
Hmm, that's an odd experience indeed. The only time I haven't charged my Nexus 5 overnight was on New Year's, but between when I went to bed and when I woke up, the phone lost about 5% charge - which was a rate of less than 1 percentage point per hour. I mean, okay, my phone was on WiFi, but still. In my experience, when the phone is sleeping, LTE draws more power, but only slightly (the rate is higher obviously when the screen is on or an app is running drawing data actively), and definitely not 6x as much.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I regularly average between 4-5 hours screen on time with standby times varying from 12-32 hours. Usually never lose more than 5% of the battery while I sleep at night.

le_prof

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Here, in Canada (Montreal), the LTE signal is pretty bad (due to the high frequencies used, I believe). So bad battery life on LTE, but very good battery life on 3g (HSPA+): uses about 50% after 14 hours, including 3 hours of screen usage. I charge each night, however.

Envoy? de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Here, in Canada (Montreal), the LTE signal is pretty bad (due to the high frequencies used, I believe). So bad battery life on LTE, but very good battery life on 3g (HSPA+): uses about 50% after 14 hours, including 3 hours of screen usage. I charge each night, however.

Envoy? de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Thought I'd point out the HSPA+ is considered 4G even though it's technically only an upgraded 3G signal. Yup. I'm that guy. Sorry :).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting about 4 hours screen time with my usage (mostly emails, texts calls and web browsing). Nothing too stressful like games or anything.

That to me is ok. Not great, but ok. When I had the Nexus 4, I don't know why, but I was getting poor battery life, like just over 3 hours. So it's better than the Nexus 4 to me, but not the best.

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I left my battery on wifi from full charge and web browsing... Texting... Wee bit of super Mario bros and i managed to squeeze 1 day and i think 9hrs... taken screen shot and will post when i do a wee thread about my thoughts on phone but so far I'm pleased with the performance and endurance coming from an S4 Mini

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I was pretty satisfied with my battery life up until a few days ago. Now the damn thing keeps getting brutalized by Android OS every time I go to sleep for the night. Used to only lose about 5% battery over 8+ hours of sleep. Now My battery is dropping a good 40% over the same amount of time (with Android OS doing the majority of the damage). Absolutely unacceptable and I really have no clue what could have caused the change. Only two usage differences I can pinpoint over this period of time are my change of SMS apps from Textra to Hangouts and leaving hotword detection on (i.e. Ok Google).

This is going to start really pissing me off soon if I don't figure out a fix. Probably a call/email to Google is in store now. Yippee.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12