Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Default Nexus 5 battery life

We will have Pre-order opening soon here in Indonesia, and I'm very interested
    How is its battery life compared to Nexus 4?

What is your opinion on Nexus 5 battery life?
    Please share your experience

Thanks

Global Posts
    6,760 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Nexus 5 battery life

Quote Originally Posted by chobits View Post

Thanks
    Stock, the battery life has been comparable to the Nexus 4 and edging it out slightly. Personally, it's good for me since I was coming from a GS2.

N5 charges fast.

Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I just got the Nexus 5, and for me it is hard to say about battery life. The biggest reason is for my carrier, Sprint, my mobile signal is rather weak, which has a negative effect on battery life.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    gpdaddy95 likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,920 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by chobits View Post

Thanks
    Compared to the N4 it hasn't been good for me. Maybe it's the extra screen real estate, or the LTE, but it's not impressive. I actually unlocked and rooted just to install a kernel to give myself better battery life. Overnight I lost 30% one night. I love the N5, though, and will give it more time. The N4 started off the same way but got better with concurrent updates and use.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:

I switched to ART on day one and charged my phone to max i then turned off mobile data but its set to 3g seeing as i have no option to switch to 2g and 3g in my area is poor on O2 UK and over night on battery it lost 1%. My S4 Mini would lose about 5% with no mobile a and set to 2g. I read this phone can preserve battery when listening to music and screen off so I'm pleased with that alone since i like to use it for music when in the car or out and about.

Posted via Android Central App

The battery is good enough to get through a day of moderate usage. The only times I get close to running out of battery are when I play games for extended periods of time.

Watching videos, downloading large files, and uploading to Drive are hard on the battery for me. Otherwise it's doing pretty well but I do still only use it on WiFi. I get at least a day from it with 4 to 6+ hours screen on time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

While the battery life isn't impressive, stock I was able to squeeze my whole 17 hour day in with 20-30 percent left over. Running ART and Franco's kernel with a -75mV undervolt. I now can get through the day with anything from 30-55% left in the tank. Days I don't use it as much I have seen 70% when I plug it in for the night.
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

The battery on my nexus 5 lasts longer than on my previous nexus 4

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Here are some examples of a heavy use day and a normal day for me. Heavy being 3+ hours of screen time and normal being somewhere just over an over of screen time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 5 battery life-1388849426043.jpg   Nexus 5 battery life-1388849452160.jpg  
    College student that spends far too much money on phones.

It's fantastic. I had a Galaxy Nexus before my N5 and the N5 blows the GNex out of the water. I've gone over 24 hours multiple times on a charge with my N5 (admittedly very usage), but never got more than 12-15 hours of use out of my GNex under similar usage. Typical life for GNex was 8-10 hours, barely. I consistently get 15+ with N5, and usually still have 30-40% of my battery left when I go to bed at night. Also charges very quickly.

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Compared to the N4 it hasn't been good for me. Maybe it's the extra screen real estate, or the LTE, but it's not impressive. I actually unlocked and rooted just to install a kernel to give myself better battery life. Overnight I lost 30% one night. I love the N5, though, and will give it more time. The N4 started off the same way but got better with concurrent updates and use.
    Hmm, that's an odd experience indeed. The only time I haven't charged my Nexus 5 overnight was on New Year's, but between when I went to bed and when I woke up, the phone lost about 5% charge - which was a rate of less than 1 percentage point per hour. I mean, okay, my phone was on WiFi, but still. In my experience, when the phone is sleeping, LTE draws more power, but only slightly (the rate is higher obviously when the screen is on or an app is running drawing data actively), and definitely not 6x as much.

I regularly average between 4-5 hours screen on time with standby times varying from 12-32 hours. Usually never lose more than 5% of the battery while I sleep at night.

ROM
    Jelly Bean 4.2.1 (rooted)

Here, in Canada (Montreal), the LTE signal is pretty bad (due to the high frequencies used, I believe). So bad battery life on LTE, but very good battery life on 3g (HSPA+): uses about 50% after 14 hours, including 3 hours of screen usage. I charge each night, however.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by le_prof View Post
    Here, in Canada (Montreal), the LTE signal is pretty bad (due to the high frequencies used, I believe). So bad battery life on LTE, but very good battery life on 3g (HSPA+): uses about 50% after 14 hours, including 3 hours of screen usage. I charge each night, however.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Thought I'd point out the HSPA+ is considered 4G even though it's technically only an upgraded 3G signal. Yup. I'm that guy. Sorry .

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

I'm getting about 4 hours screen time with my usage (mostly emails, texts calls and web browsing). Nothing too stressful like games or anything.

That to me is ok. Not great, but ok. When I had the Nexus 4, I don't know why, but I was getting poor battery life, like just over 3 hours. So it's better than the Nexus 4 to me, but not the best.

I left my battery on wifi from full charge and web browsing... Texting... Wee bit of super Mario bros and i managed to squeeze 1 day and i think 9hrs... taken screen shot and will post when i do a wee thread about my thoughts on phone but so far I'm pleased with the performance and endurance coming from an S4 Mini

My N5 is noticeably better than my N4. I have about 50% battery left at the end of the day. Only had about 20% on the N4.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

I was pretty satisfied with my battery life up until a few days ago. Now the damn thing keeps getting brutalized by Android OS every time I go to sleep for the night. Used to only lose about 5% battery over 8+ hours of sleep. Now My battery is dropping a good 40% over the same amount of time (with Android OS doing the majority of the damage). Absolutely unacceptable and I really have no clue what could have caused the change. Only two usage differences I can pinpoint over this period of time are my change of SMS apps from Textra to Hangouts and leaving hotword detection on (i.e. Ok Google).

This is going to start really pissing me off soon if I don't figure out a fix. Probably a call/email to Google is in store now. Yippee.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    change of SMS apps from Textra to Hangouts and leaving hotword detection on (i.e. Ok Google).
    there you have it.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    While the battery life isn't impressive, stock I was able to squeeze my whole 17 hour day in with 20-30 percent left over. Running ART and Franco's kernel with a -75mV undervolt. I now can get through the day with anything from 30-55% left in the tank. Days I don't use it as much I have seen 70% when I plug it in for the night.
    What does it mean to have a -75mV undervolt? I am also on ART with Franco Kernel and I can't find that setting (I do have the full version.)

Thanks in advance.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    there you have it.
    Yeah? Why would the stock texting app be worse for battery life than a third party one? Why should OK Google be affecting anything when the screen is off and the phone isn't being used? Honest questions. Seems pretty faulty to me if the problem lies with one (or both) of the things I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by p3ntyne View Post
    What does it mean to have a -75mV undervolt? I am also on ART with Franco Kernel and I can't find that setting (I do have the full version.)

Thanks in advance.

It's in his app. Think I costs 5$. It means that I am giving the CPU less power. Too much undervolting can make things unstable though and each chip is different in how it can handle different voltages. So you play around with it and see how low things can go.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    I was pretty satisfied with my battery life up until a few days ago. Now the damn thing keeps getting brutalized by Android OS every time I go to sleep for the night. Used to only lose about 5% battery over 8+ hours of sleep. Now My battery is dropping a good 40% over the same amount of time (with Android OS doing the majority of the damage). Absolutely unacceptable and I really have no clue what could have caused the change. Only two usage differences I can pinpoint over this period of time are my change of SMS apps from Textra to Hangouts and leaving hotword detection on (i.e. Ok Google).
    Are you sure you didn't install another app? This happened to me when I installed Snapdragon Battery Guru (yes I know, the irony). When it was in learning mode, it kept the OS usage high. I restarted the phone. It didn't work. I uninstalled app and restarted again. No more battery drain.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast