Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By finseeker1960
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to turn off the camera sound on the Nexus 5?

So just got nexus 5 for my wife and wanted to know how do you turn off the camera sound?

I've read everything from turning ringer volume down to rooting the device.

I can't believe there isn't a way without doing the above.

Help
  2. Best Answer

It doesn't exist with the stock camera app. As suggested above, try installing another camera app from the Play Store and see if that works. Otherwise, you'll need to root and install a modded version of the camera app.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Camera sound, how do you turn it off

Quote Originally Posted by michko View Post
    So just got nexus 5 for my wife and wanted to know how do you turn off the camera sound?

I've read everything from turning ringer volume down to rooting the device.

Help
    I'm not sure if it's the same on the Nexus 5, but on my LG G2 I just go to 'shutter sound', which means the sound the camera makes when it takes a picture, and select 'none'.
    Tell me if it worked!
    Proud LG G2 Owner!

Coming from BB. I had no option to turn off the shutter sound and was nice to know samsung did if you turn the volume off which i had found out one day but if there isn't a way then i can live with it after years of not being able to i guess

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Foramex View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same on the Nexus 5, but on my LG G2 I just go to 'shutter sound', which means the sound the camera makes when it takes a picture, and select 'none'.
    Tell me if it worked!
    That setting option doesn't exist......

If you're rooted, you could possibly rename a null sound to camera click sound. Not sure as the sound doesn't bother me.

Or, use another camera app such as Camera Zoom FX.

Global Posts
    10,937 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

It doesn't exist with the stock camera app. As suggested above, try installing another camera app from the Play Store and see if that works. Otherwise, you'll need to root and install a modded version of the camera app.

Silent mode equals no shutter sound. A simple tasker profile, (open camera app - silent mode.)
    Chex313 and kd0h like this.

Quote Originally Posted by michko View Post
    I've seen the option on most custom ROMs I've tried. But the STOCK ones? Well, most probably leave the option out, for legal reasons. From time to time, laws get proposed all over the place to make it illegal to disable the camera shutter sound, what the min volume standard should be etc.... Companies like Samsung, Sony, etc... might just feel it is easier to just force the sound now rather than work to release software updates if say, something like the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act gets passed.

For a short term fix, try plugging in an old cut off headphone jack (or the whole set of headphones, if you prefer). While not the most elegant or preferred solution, it works on my N5. You can thank the EVO4GLTE forum for that one.
    Now sporting a Nexus 5

ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    I've seen the option on most custom ROMs I've tried. But the STOCK ones? Well, most probably leave the option out, for legal reasons. From time to time, laws get proposed all over the place to make it illegal to disable the camera shutter sound, what the min volume standard should be etc.... Companies like Samsung, Sony, etc... might just feel it is easier to just force the sound now rather than work to release software updates if say, something like the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act gets passed.
    As finseeker says just press Power button and either vibrate or "no sound" either option turns camera sound off...I doubt the camera police could ever enforce such an absurd law.

I'm not sure why the OP would find this to be an awkward solution...This post is pretty old. probably learned to live with it. I mean it takes a half second to to press down on the volume, which accomplishes the same thing. I don't know that any dedicated button on the camera app would do it faster. If your in a quiet concert for your kid or something, you would have already silenced the phone, its why its never been an issue for me. I never even noticed the camera sound till now.
    N5 Black 32GB (5.1), N4 (5.02), iphone 5 (ios 8.1), ONE+64GB, N7(5.1) AT&T

I use "enforced stream silencer" on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

So annoying

Simply renaming the camera sound file worked flawlessly for me on my Nexus5 as explained here (you need root): [Q] Turn off camera shutter sound | Google Nexus 5 | xda-developers

Cheers

Global Posts
    10,937 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by mattibo View Post
    So annoying
    As mentioned above putting the device on silent will silence the shutter. I just confirmed that it does silence it with the 4.4.3 update, and I'd expect it to work with 4.4.2 as well.

You can't turn the volume down when the camera is open. You have to do it before you open the camera. It's a pretty in-your-face option to omit.

While we're on this topic, Google gives us two gallery apps: they're both dog-**** stinkingly appalling.

Seems to be the case with all Google Apps. They have the data, they just don't seem able to present it.

Global Posts
    10,937 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Fajina View Post
    You can't turn the volume down when the camera is open. You have to do it before you open the camera. It's a pretty in-your-face option to omit.

While we're on this topic, Google gives us two gallery apps: they're both dog-**** stinkingly appalling.

Seems to be the case with all Google Apps. They have the data, they just don't seem able to present it.
    If you are not already using an alternative, give Quickpic a try. That's what I've been using for a long time now.

It does NOT work on Camera Zoom FX! Try as you may with whatever sounds it still makes it! The only way AFAIK is to 'root' the phone and delete 'the cameraclick.ogg (or equivalent) file.
    Michael

You can make the phone silent then the camera does not make sounds.