Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By belodion
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Wiping Cache Partition takes long

Hello is anyone else nexus 5 taken a while to wipe cache partition? It takes a good minute or 2 on the nexus 5 but on the nexus 4 it takes 2 seconds. Both are running Android 4.4.2 the nexus 5 and the nexus 4.
  2. Best Answer

Yes, I noticed this as well. It took about 30-40 seconds 5-10 minutes for me. I was afraid it had hung up, but then the Recovery Menu reappeared, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Wiping Cache Partition takes long

Yes, I noticed this as well. It took about 30-40 seconds 5-10 minutes for me. I was afraid it had hung up, but then the Recovery Menu reappeared, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Yes, I noticed this as well. It took about 30-40 seconds for me. I was afraid it had hung up, but then the Recovery Menu reappeared, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Ya same thing here it feels like it is not doing anything when it takes that long.

Factory reset also took forever when I sent my original back to Google when I got my replacement. 15-20 minutes. I was starting to worry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm running the latest build of TWRP [2.6.3.4] & wiping cache & Factory Resets takes less than a second for me. I did however, experienced the slow wiping with older builds of TWRP
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by BRIVERS73 View Post
    I'm running the latest build of TWRP [2.6.3.4] & wiping cache & Factory Resets takes less than a second for me. I did however, experienced the slow wiping with older builds of TWRP
    How did you get the new build?

Quote Originally Posted by win465 View Post
    How did you get the new build?
    Techerrata Downloads - Browsing hammerhead
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
    now do i just sideload it or what after i download the file?

Quote Originally Posted by win465 View Post
    now do i just sideload it or what after i download the file?
    Flash it using adb in the bootloader. Instructions are here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] Nexus 5 - How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root

Yes, I noticed this as well. It took about 30-40 seconds for me. I was afraid it had hung up, but then the Recovery Menu reappeared, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

30-40 seconds? Lol....I've been waiting almost 20 minutes for this process to complete now.

Did it finish?

Mine took ~8 minutes earlier today. I was about ready to *phone a friend*

Did it finish?
    Ha. It actually finished within seconds of clicking "POST QUICK REPLY".

Even I have been waiting for past 10 minutes! Sucks man! Did yours finally happen? What did you do?

Default Re: Nexus 5: Wiping Cache Partition takes long

Last time I did it, it took forever also. Luckily thanks to the forum I had already read it does that on the n5 for some reason so I wasn’t freaking out.... too much.... Haven't done it yet since the update.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

Same here... just wiped it and when it was taking more than one minute, I did a Google search and found this thread. It's still wiping. Been about 3 or 4 minutes now. Crossing fingers.

EDIT: Just finished. Took maybe 6 or 7 minutes? Crazy.

I modified my original answer for this question--it really is more like 5-10 minutes, rather than the 30-40 seconds I had initially mentioned.

my nexus 5 is taking more than 10 mins to wipe the cache ! is this usual or is there anything wrong?

Wiped my cache just now, timed it: 15 mins. Started cursing at the 12 min mark since no one else posted over 10 haha

Default Re: Why is my Nexus 5 taking so long to wipe the cache partition?

My old Xperia U used to take just a few seconds...why a Nexus 5 takes to long?, I cleaned the cache from the phone settings and now Im performing a wipe cache partition and it takes a lot of time...same when you do a factory reset...plus, when I did my first factory reset the phone "failed" after 30 minutes and I had to try it 3 times, until the factory reset was performed properly, I was worry the first time, but anyways, the phone works amazing always, love that phone!
    PD: Done in 6 minutes...Android M 6.0.1 stock.

After upgrading to 6.0.1 recently I did a cache wipe on my n5 and of took a good 10-15 minutes at least. I was worried because I had just done the same thing a few minutes before on my n7 2013 and it literally took 1 second (no lie). Why such a difference?

I wipe my system cache perhaps once a year. I always wipe the cache when I get a major upgrade for Android and that's about it. Am I missing something? Some seem to be doing it a lot more often. I certainly don't do it often enough to remember accurately how long it took. Actually, I seem to recall reading a book and then looking at the Nexus 5 and seeing, oh, it's finished. So, how often do you wife the system cache?

Quote Originally Posted by ptkelly View Post
    I wipe my system cache perhaps once a year. I always wipe the cache when I get a major upgrade for Android and that's about it. Am I missing something? Some seem to be doing it a lot more often. I certainly don't do it often enough to remember accurately how long it took. Actually, I seem to recall reading a book and then looking at the Nexus 5 and seeing, oh, it's finished. So, how often do you wife the system cache?
    For me that was the first time I have done it for either my n7 or my n5 in over 2 years of having the n7 and over a year of having the n5.

I wipe after any system upgrade but there was one occasion when I did it because I had a problem....I can't remember what it was, but the wipe actually fixed it, slightly to my surprise. The 5 was my first Android so I got used to the 5-10 minute thing, and have always felt since then that the near-instant wipes of other devices - a Nexus 4 that I had for a while for example - cannot really be doing it properly.
    brosko likes this.

Okay, I just wiped my cache partition to see how long it would take. It was about 5 minutes and 10 seconds. Could there possibly be a correlation between how much is in memory and how long the cache wiping takes?