Getting a replacement Nexus 5

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to ask a question as regards to getting my Nexus 5 replaced. I had it delivered from Google this Friday just gone. I've since discovered that NFC doesn't work at all on my device. Now, I know I'm entitled to a replacement as the hand set is defective. But my question is this: How to google handle the replacement? Do they send out a courier with the replacement device, who in turn takes back the defective device? Or do I have to first send my defective device to them and wait for them to send a replacement, therefore leaving me without a phone for x amount of time?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think they send the replacement phone and the packing materials for the bad phone. So you get the replacement before sending back the bad one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I think they send the replacement phone and the packing materials for the bad phone. So you get the replacement before sending back the bad one.

Thanks :) I've just switched from Apple and when they replaced my iPhone 5 I had to send my faulty phone in to them, wait 4 days without a phone until they sent the new one. So it's reasuring to know Google send the replacement first. Thanks again.

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks :) I've just switched from Apple and when they replaced my iPhone 5 I had to send my faulty phone in to them, wait 4 days without a phone until they sent the new one. So it's reasuring to know Google send the replacement first. Thanks again.

I'd say Google is doing it the right way if that's the case!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Yes, but I'm not sure whether they temporarily charge your credit card for the replacement. But from everything I've read they will send the new phone before they have received the old one back because they send you the shipping materials or label. Anyway, good luck. I hope the replacement will be OK.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to ask a question as regards to getting my Nexus 5 replaced. I had it delivered from Google this Friday just gone. I've since discovered that NFC doesn't work at all on my device. Now, I know I'm entitled to a replacement as the hand set is defective. But my question is this: How to google handle the replacement? Do they send out a courier with the replacement device, who in turn takes back the defective device? Or do I have to first send my defective device to them and wait for them to send a replacement, therefore leaving me without a phone for x amount of time?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

They will temporarily charge your credit card until they receive the old one back in the package provided. If you return it real quick, it might not even get past "pending charge" on your account and will just go away.

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. You order and receive a new phone (they put an auth hold on your credit card). When you receive the new phone, you put the old one in the same box with a supplied pre=paid label and send it back via UPS. A painless process really. PM me if you have any questions. I've done a few RMAs.

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I know this sounds sad, but after the xmas period I don't have ?50 in the bank let alone ?300 for Google to take until they receive the faulty Nexus 5 back. Do they actually take the money from the bank, or just start the ball rolling?

Basically - Is the fact that I haven't got enough in the bank to temporarily cover the cost of the replacement going to stop me getting my replacement? I paid by debit card. I don't own a credit card.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
They never took a penny from my debit account.

Edit - Except, of course, when I ordered my original device :). Google does things right and takes care of you if something is wrong with a device. Best customer service from a manufacturer (even though LG really built the phone) I have ever had. I feel very comfortable that my warranty will be honored without having to spend hours spelling out everything I am saying to someone halfway across the world who doesn't speak English and reading from a script. Out of 5-7 different calls I have been connected in under 30 seconds, my question answered in less than 5 minutes (2 if you don't count my RMA), and have never been transfered. They also speak perfect English.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
They never took a penny from my debit account.

Edit - Except, of course, when I ordered my original device :). Google does things right and takes care of you if something is wrong with a device. Best customer service from a manufacturer (even though LG really built the phone) I have ever had. I feel very comfortable that my warranty will be honored without having to spend hours spelling out everything I am saying to someone halfway across the world who doesn't speak English and reading from a script. Out of 5-7 different calls I have been connected in under 30 seconds, my question answered in less than 5 minutes (2 if you don't count my RMA), and have never been transfered. They also speak perfect English.

Thank you! That's very reassuring for me to know. I called Google earlier, I got through to the American branch but they dealt with my problems, put me down for a replacement device and told me to call the UK office tomorrow morning when they open and they'll take care of the rest.

Does anyone know if the device they send will be brand new? as mine is only 3 days old. Also do you think they'll check everythings working on the replacement device, Specifically the NFC?

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I know this sounds sad, but after the xmas period I don't have ?50 in the bank let alone ?300 for Google to take until they receive the faulty Nexus 5 back. Do they actually take the money from the bank, or just start the ball rolling?

Basically - Is the fact that I haven't got enough in the bank to temporarily cover the cost of the replacement going to stop me getting my replacement? I paid by debit card. I don't own a credit card.

If I recall from reading another post from someone in Italy with the same issue, if there is not enough in there to cover the cost you have to return the old one first. Once they receive it in reasonably good condition they will send a new one. They aren't going to send out another without some way of guaranteeing payment if you don't return the old one.

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I've read it can take 3-4 weeks for a replacement to be sent out, so if I have to send the device first that means 3-4 weeks without a phone. And this is a manufacturers defect so it's through no fault of my own I'm in this position. I'm going to ask them if they can send a courier with the new device and get said courier to take back the faulty one. I've had this done in the past with a contract phone. But if they expect me to wait any longer than 1 week without a phone I'll be asking for a full refund.

Thanks for all your help guys you've been great.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've read it can take 3-4 weeks for a replacement to be sent out, so if I have to send the device first that means 3-4 weeks without a phone. And this is a manufacturers defect so it's through no fault of my own I'm in this position. I'm going to ask them if they can send a courier with the new device and get said courier to take back the faulty one. I've had this done in the past with a contract phone. But if they expect me to wait any longer than 1 week without a phone I'll be asking for a full refund.

Thanks for all your help guys you've been great.

Mine shipped 5 days after putting in my RMA and you can pick one day shipping and they pay for it. Pretty darn generous in my opinion. I doubt they won't give you the refund if you put it in that light and you are extremely polite ;). You may have to talk to a manager. They also may be able to work something like that out so you don't have to be without a device but I don't know. I can't imagine they don't have some sort of contingency plan for this very predicament.

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It won't hurt if you tell them that you phone is only 3 days old and you would like a new one just like the one you are sending back

Posted via Android Central App

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Mine shipped 5 days after putting in my RMA and you can pick one day shipping and they pay for it. Pretty darn generous in my opinion. I doubt they won't give you the refund if you put it in that light and you are extremely polite ;). You may have to talk to a manager. They also may be able to work something like that out so you don't have to be without a device but I don't know. I can't imagine they don't have some sort of contingency plan for this very predicament.

Thanks for the reply. I arranged an overdraft with my bank, Contacted Google this morning and my replacement Nexus 5 is being delivered on Wednesday :) Needless to say I'm very happy with the outcome.

Thank you all very much for your help and advice I really appreciate it.