Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Hello, fellow Android users. I'm having trouble finding the proper way to send a .gif to someone via text.

    I find a .gif via Chrome and save it to my Nexus 5. From there, I go the Photos app and can see the .gif animating just as it did on my mobile web browser. I then select the "share via Hangouts" option and send it. Testing this by sending it to myself, the .gif shows as it should via the senders end but the resulting text I get from myself shows up as nothing more than a still image.

    I'd like to think there is something simple that I am missing here. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    I've had a similar issue. iPhone user's sending me animated .gifs show as still images but when I sent them an image it worked fine. No one replied in the thread I created so I have no clue how to fix it.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    The app Textra allows you to do it right in message, just like adding a picture or video. I have have sent gifs to iPhones, Androids, and even "dumb" phones and it allows them to view them just fine. I know this doesn't specifically help with Hangouts and Chrome, but it may be an alternative for you.
    ~Keith

    Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)
    Iggymart likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Quote Originally Posted by kd0h View Post
    The app Textra allows you to do it right in message, just like adding a picture or video. I have have sent gifs to iPhones, Androids, and even "dumb" phones and it allows them to view them just fine. I know this doesn't specifically help with Hangouts and Chrome, but it may be an alternative for you.
    What method do you use? Almost positive that I tried to do this in Textra as well and had no luck (had been using Textra as my main SMS app up until a couple days ago). Basically saved the GIF to my photo library and then shared via the texting app. Showed as a GIF on my end but comes out as a still picture on the other end.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    When people see the still image it is because their default viewer does not support animated .gif files and is using a simple image viewer.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Jonneh likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Within Textra, you hit the + sign like you are adding a picture to the text, there is just a send GIF option. Then you can search GIFs right in Textra.

    I also agree with patruns, because my sister has an iPhone and she copy and pasts gifs into her texts all the time to me and I can see them just fine. I would think that would be a viewing issue, not a sending issue.
    ~Keith

    Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)
    Thanked by 2:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    When people see the still image it is because their default viewer does not support animated .gif files and is using a simple image viewer.
    Not true (as far as I can tell). I tested this sending it to someone with an iPhone who always sends me GIF's and I also tested it by sending the GIF's to myself. No dice on either.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Quote Originally Posted by kd0h View Post
    Within Textra, you hit the + sign like you are adding a picture to the text, there is just a send GIF option. Then you can search GIFs right in Textra.

    I also agree with patruns, because my sister has an iPhone and she copy and pasts gifs into her texts all the time to me and I can see them just fine. I would think that would be a viewing issue, not a sending issue.
    Yeah. I'm not trying to send some predetermined GIF's that Textra has preloaded. I want to send GIF's that I found myself online and saved to my personal photo library on the phone. Kind of ridiculous how tough it has been trying to find legitimate instructions on how to do this. Thank you for your reply though.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Hmm, that is strange. Have you tried copy and pasting or only the share via Hangouts? Not sure if it will work but a potential workaround for now....

    Sorry I can't be of more help
    ~Keith

    Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    I've tried the share option with Hangouts, Textra, and Chomp. All a big no go.

    As far as I know, there isn't a copy function in Chrome. At least not when doing a long hold on pics or gifs.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    Yeah. I'm not trying to send some predetermined GIF's that Textra has preloaded. I want to send GIF's that I found myself online and saved to my personal photo library on the phone.
    There's also the case of trying to send GIFs that Google themselves create. They "Awesome'ed" some of my photos by adding falling snow to them, which makes the (copied) image into a GIF. I've tried sending that animated GIF to a few iPhone users but it just shows a still.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Seriously though? Nobody can help a ***** out and drop some instructions for texting .gif's?
  13. #13  
    Gwaron's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    Seriously though? Nobody can help a ***** out and drop some instructions for texting .gif's?
    I've been using EvolveSMS. It will send .gif images stored on your device.
  14. #14  
    zackmack7's Avatar

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Isn't Hangouts supposed to support GIFs? See the below link....


    I just got my Nexus 5 yesterday so I haven'y delved into Hangouts' features too much yet. I'm gonna see if I can send and receive GIFs.



    ****EDIT****

    I was able to send and receive GIF files with no problem though MMS. They play inline inside of Google Hangouts with no problem
    Last edited by zackmack7; 01-16-2014 at 04:01 PM.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Awesome. So it's just my device/me.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Quote Originally Posted by zackmack7 View Post
    Isn't Hangouts supposed to support GIFs? See the below link....


    I just got my Nexus 5 yesterday so I haven'y delved into Hangouts' features too much yet. I'm gonna see if I can send and receive GIFs.



    ****EDIT****

    I was able to send and receive GIF files with no problem though MMS. They play inline inside of Google Hangouts with no problem
    What exact steps do you take? I find a GIF online, save it to my photos, and then from the photo app, I share via Hangouts. Shows as a perfectly working GIF on my end but delivers as a still image to the person I'm sending it to (mainly tested with people who have iPhones).
  17. #17  
    zackmack7's Avatar

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    What exact steps do you take? I find a GIF online, save it to my photos, and then from the photo app, I share via Hangouts. Shows as a perfectly working GIF on my end but delivers as a still image to the person I'm sending it to (mainly tested with people who have iPhones).
    Literally the same thing I do! And the person I sent my GIF to has an iPhone as well. Idk man, that's really weird that it doesn't work for you .
    JohnnyBroccoli likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    I had this exact same problem with my note 3 when I tried sending a gif to an s4. The gif displayed properly on my phone, but a still image on the s4. The solution I found was instead of using hangouts SMS/MMS, I sent it through the hangouts Web chat. This seemed to do the trick for me.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    I'm on a Nexus 5 and wasn't having any luck sending a gif via Hangouts. However, when I turned off my WiFi and tried resending it over my cell network, it worked. Perhaps they just can't be sent while on WiFi...
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    I have the same problem. The GIF is animated in hangouts on my phone but all the users I send it to just get a still image.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    One day we will figure this out....
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    evolve sms lets yu send gifs
  23. #23  
    bb1niu's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    I am now having the same problem where the recipient only gets a still image. I have tested it by sending it to a friend's HTC One (hangouts user) and myself (nexus 5).

    It used to work fine until a couple of days ago when I changed my Google password via my laptop. After I changed my password I went into hangouts on my phone and it said I needed to sign in. I logged in with my new password and since then my gifs haven't been working properly. I have no idea what changed to where they no longer work right. However, they do work if they are small sized gifs.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    I am totally confused about sending gifs to non-android phones. I have sent gifs to 2 diff people both with iphone4, one can get my gifs animated and one just gets it as a still, same freakin phone. so its gotta be a setting thing. any suggestions anyone? grrrr
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

    I have the same problem. Some work and some don't. What I've noticed is when I've sent a gif that doesn't work I check the mms details and it's really small like 30kb when the size of the image on the phone is like 1mb. I don't know how it chooses or if there's a size limit. I haven't tested the limit since I don't really choose gifs by size.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2014, 09:10 AM
  2. Changing where I view MMS pictures
    By Hayley Roberts in forum HTC One X
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 07:14 PM
  3. Problems with MMS sending?
    By lleeoo66 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 05:49 PM
  4. Create and send tex message ???
    By doonboggle in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 02:24 PM
  5. SMS app to change colors?
    By agp423 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Posting Permissions

B