1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Signal Problems

I know there are ongoing problems with the Nexus 5 and it's radio (supposedly Google is aware of the problem) but I am really starting to get a bit tired of it. The phone reports that I don't have a signal 35% of the time - cell standby reports this under the battery stats - and cell standby takes much more power than it should (8%) BUT when I go into the detailed battery graph there is no way there is enough red (no signal indicator) to account for 35% dead time. There are dead spots, which shouldn't be there - again a radio problem that Google should fix in the next update, but there is not that much red. I also use my phone quite a bit of the time and haven't noticed it drop signal for a day or two. Texts always send fine and I haven't missed a call yet. Any ideas on why the phone is reporting such a high number or why my battery life has taken a sudden plunge?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-14-2014 at 12:46 AM.
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Default Re: Signal Problems

I haven't noticed that so far, but I've only used it for about a week on T-Mobile. What network are you using?

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

I know this doesn't help but I've had no problem with the signal on AT&T. 0% time without a signal since I got it.

Ive had similar horrible service; no LTE, forever searching for signal. It was killing my battery and causing lots of missed communications, got fed up and filed an RMA. Google was super cool about it and send out a replacement immediately. It should arrive tomorrow, I suggest you do the same
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Cowan View Post
    Ive had similar horrible service; no LTE, forever searching for signal. It was killing my battery and causing lots of missed communications, got fed up and filed an RMA. Google was super cool about it and send out a replacement immediately. It should arrive tomorrow, I suggest you do the same
    I was rooted and had a custom kernel I updated in an app - may have caused the problem. Hoping things check out. If not, I'll have Google send me a new one. This would be my second replacement but they are awesome so I am not too worried.

Running AT&T.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
    I was rooted and had a custom kernel I updated in an app - may have caused the problem. Hoping things check out. If not, I'll have Google send me a new one. This would be my second replacement but they are awesome so I am not too worried.

I'm almost certain the Kernel has nothing to do with the radio. So that likely isn't causing the issue. Hopefully Google is able to help you out and the problem is resolved.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
    I know this doesn't help but I've had no problem with the signal on AT&T. 0% time without a signal since I got it.
    How long have you had the device?

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

Received end of December. It's a 310K without any of the common issues reported in various forums. Guess I got lucky.

I have had mine since the beginning of November. Running stock ROM on T-Mobile and I do not have any connection issues, other then a couple of dead spots during my commute which have always been dead spots.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
    Received end of December. It's a 310K without any of the common issues reported in various forums. Guess I got lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    I have had mine since the beginning of November. Running stock ROM on T-Mobile and I do not have any connection issues, other then a couple of dead spots during my commute which have always been dead spots.
    And you both have checked the cell standby dead time? Just want to make sure...

Factory reset didn't fix. Going to try fixing through AT&T after class today. If that doesn't work I'll give Google a call.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

Running AT&T.
    Perhaps related to this issue? AIO / AT&T Tower Selection Algorithm

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

Factory reset didn't fix. Going to try fixing through AT&T after class today. If that doesn't work I'll give Google a call.

Cell Standby remains at 0% for as long as I've had it. And at home, I'm barely getting 1 bar of LTE with a signal strength of ~108dbm.

Looking at cell standby now. 17%. Time on 14h 28m 28s. Time without a signal 25%. Since I always have a signal when I need it I don't pay any attention to those stats. I spend a fair amount of time on subways, in tunnels on trains, etc. The only thing that is important to me is that I have a signal when I need it. I suspect whatever algorithm Android uses to generate those stats may be faulty. it would be better if they just didn't include it.
    Pat
    Chromecast
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Looking at cell standby now. 17%. Time on 14h 28m 28s. Time without a signal 25%. Since I always have a signal when I need it I don't pay any attention to those stats. I spend a fair amount of time on subways, in tunnels on trains, etc. The only thing that is important to me is that I have a signal when I need it. I suspect whatever algorithm Android uses to generate those stats may be faulty. it would be better if they just didn't include it.
    What is your battery life like? I am wondering if the kernel was installed improperly and my battery was being drained from that. The stat of 35% was wrong or the battery life graph was wrong so I'm betting that it's reporting a faulty number. 5% in an hour of semi light use this morning seems more normal. It was tanking through 2 or 3% every 5 minutes. I'll give it a couple of days and I'll talk to AT&T. If I see it drop signal or a battery drain again though I think I am going to give Google a call for a RMA.

-Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

I get about a day and a half of moderate use and rarely run it down past 25%. I generally throw it on a PC/USB charge at work each morning while i am doing other things. Testing out the Qualcomm snapdragon BatteryGuru app now to see how much it helps. It is still in the 48 hour learning stage.
    Pat
    Chromecast
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I have had AT&T reset everything and have a new SIM in my phone. I will run things tomorrow and see how things go.
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Cowan View Post
    How's your replacement?

Sent from my iPad in a Blue Box
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G

-Current-
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

How's your replacement?
    Sent from my iPad in a Blue Box
    Ive only been using it for about 24 hours but it certainly seems better. Seeing about 3 bars average in my basement apartment. Before I was totally out of service at home

Looking at the bars to determine the health of your phone signal. My Nexus 5 always seems to show only one bar yet I never miss any calls.
    While reading this thread I paid a bit more attention though. I made a call to another phone in the house and signal strength shot right up to a full 5 bars. I disconnected and it dropped back down to one bar. I repeated this 3 times.
    Not saying this is true all the time but that's what I'm seeing now.

Posted via Android Central App

had nexus 5 since november. last 2 weeks i suddenly lose data connection or phone (strength of signal waivers between none to 4 bars). I am a Tmobile user. The places the phone fails have strong cell coverage.
    There appears to be a defect in the phone (or its latest update) that loses the signal.
    other android phones work fine in same place.

Quote Originally Posted by treebee55 View Post
    had nexus 5 since november. last 2 weeks i suddenly lose data connection or phone (strength of signal waivers between none to 4 bars). I am a Tmobile user. The places the phone fails have strong cell coverage.
    There appears to be a defect in the phone (or its latest update) that loses the signal.
    other android phones work fine in same place.
    Check your sim card. It may have gotten jostled a little or something. Try taking it out and blowing out the slot and tray, and wiping the card and put it back in. Might need replacing too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2