Buying an off contract N5 from Sprint (Best Buy)?

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if someone can answer this but here we go.

Do I have to be a Sprint customer (i'm ATT) to be sold an off-contract N5 @ Best Buy?

Thanx.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No, but I'd recommend buying it from the Play Store since it's $100 cheaper than at the store

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
For Off-contract, No.
If you get an ignorant bestbuy sales rep, ask for the manager and hope that the manager knows better.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if someone can answer this but here we go.

Do I have to be a Sprint customer (i'm ATT) to be sold an off-contract N5 @ Best Buy?

Thanx.

I would never buy from anywhere else other than the Play Store unless you are doing it under contract. Going through the Play Store will be 100$ cheaper (32GB there is less than the 16GB model at Best Buy) and you get Google's superior service. Don't think you get treated as well if you don't order from them, i.e. replacements are refurbished. You may even have to go through LG, but I am not sure. Could be totally off base so someone correct me if I am wrong.

Connorj2005

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
You can buy it off contract from Best Buy no matter what cell provider you have. I have even seen a good number of stories where people get Best Buy to price match the play store price. If you attempt that, make sure that you tell the employee that it is not a google.com search result but google's retail store. Best of luck.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You can buy it off contract from Best Buy no matter what cell provider you have. I have even seen a good number of stories where people get Best Buy to price match the play store price. If you attempt that, make sure that you tell the employee that it is not a google.com search result but google's retail store. Best of luck.

I have heard the same, including a price match off contract through Sprint. It doesn't hurt to ask. If you want the better price get it through Google.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

hellomiggy

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I bought my N5 from BestBuy.com and it was off-contract as well. Paid a little more than the Play store version. I think right away from opening the box and the initial setup. It took a while, because I think it was in "Sprint mode" when I put in my AT&T sim card, but I still get AT&T LTE and what not. It'll work, just go to the store and ask for the Price match to get a couple bucks back. (By Sprint Mode, I think the Antenna was set up for CDMA out of the gate. So when I put my sim in the phone it took about 2-4 minutes to change from CDMA to GSM. I could be wrong, I could've just had really bad reception at work).

sprof

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe bad reception. My T-Mobile SIM worked almost right away. Took a while to get back to Sprint though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk