Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By recDNA
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anybody Have T MOBILE LTE speed in Boston?

I was just in a T MOBILE store in Burlington, MA and LTE speed was terrible. I wonder if that is a Nexus problem or a T Mobile problem or just a fluke? I am used to Verizon speed and I know ATT is fast but I donít know about T Mobile? Thanks for your help.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

Default Re: Anybody Have T MOBILE LTE speed in Boston?

Looking at the coverage map for Burlington, looks like you should have had at least a 3G signal. The LTE around there looks fairly spotty, so without knowing exactly where you were, it's hard to say.

For me personally, I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile when I got my N5, and I've found the LTE signals to be pretty much relegated to big cities (I know Cincinnati is an exception to this). Me, I live about 20 miles outside of downtown Cleveland and my LTE signal is excellent. I don't travel enough for the poor reception between cities to be a deal breaker for me. When I have an LTE signal, it's super fast. I clocked my N5 at 37 MBPS down a little while ago.

Temper your expectations though - it's clearly inferior to Verizon as far as overall coverage; expecting anything different is setting yourself up for disappointment. When you have an LTE signal though, I don't know that any other network is faster.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

What worried me was the Note 3 had LTE but the Nexus 5 had only H at the same location both on Tmobile. I already have the Note 3 but I thought I'd get the Nexus and alternate. It's silly I grant you but cheaper than my friend's watch collecting.

From the January 6th T-Mobile spectrum call, we have the following:

[...] signed agreements to purchase certain 700 MHz A-Block spectrum licenses from Verizon Wireless for $2.365 billion in cash and the transfer of certain AWS and PCS spectrum licenses [...] the transactions, combined with T-Mobile’s existing A-Block holdings in Boston, will result in T-Mobile having important low-band spectrum in 9 of the top 10 and 21 of the top 30 markets across the United States.

[...] Low-band spectrum substantially improves in-building coverage as well as coverage in rural areas. It also travels greater distances than high-band spectrum and therefore is a more efficient way to provide coverage at the edge of cities and in less densely populated areas. Combined with its existing Boston A-Block holdings, T-Mobile will have low-band spectrum covering approximately 158 million people — including New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Washington D.C., and Detroit. T-Mobile anticipates rolling out service and compatible handsets on this A-Block spectrum as early as the fourth quarter of 2014.

In 2013, T-Mobile continued its rapid LTE rollout, deploying 10+10 MHz 4G LTE in 43 of the top 50 metro areas and it is commencing substantive deployments of 20+20 MHz 4G LTE in 2014. The company launched its nationwide 4G LTE network in 2013, which currently covers approximately 209 million people in 273 metro areas.
    Emphasis mine. Deploying 20x20MHz LTE in place of 10x10MHz LTE can be thought of as the equivalent of adding extra lanes to a highway. Verizon has 20x20MHz deployed, though not everywhere. Sprint is running 5x5, and I believe AT&T is 10x10. As of now, T-Mobile has 20x20MHz up only in Dallas. The bottom is line is that the coverage in Boston should be good, but it should also improve significantly in terms of both coverage and performance this year.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have no choice about adding another unlimited Verizon line of I would. With Tmobile I can get unlimited everything for 60 bucks a month and buy a Nexus 5 for 450. I'd like a Nexus 5 just to root it and play with it. Won't give up my vzw unlimited. I assume no problem rooting Nexus 5 on tmobile?

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I have no choice about adding another unlimited Verizon line of I would. With Tmobile I can get unlimited everything for 60 bucks a month and buy a Nexus 5 for 450. I'd like a Nexus 5 just to root it and play with it. Won't give up my vzw unlimited. I assume no problem rooting Nexus 5 on tmobile?

Nope, rooting is pretty simple on a Nexus. If you've never done it before, just make sure you take your time to research what to do and get an idea of what to do before getting into it.

Also, regarding the 'H' signal, I believe that stands for 'High speed,' which I would assume means 4G, no LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    Also, regarding the 'H' signal, I believe that stands for 'High speed,' which I would assume means 4G, no LTE
    I think the H stands for HSPA+, but you're right, it's the slower 4G, without LTE. For me, HSPA+ speeds are still better than Verizon's LTE speeds (I'm in the Silicon Valley).
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I think the H stands for HSPA+, but you're right, it's the slower 4G, without LTE. For me, HSPA+ speeds are still better than Verizon's LTE speeds (I'm in the Silicon Valley).
    Wow, not here in boston. H is less than 1 mbps. Vzw lte about 25 mbps.

Hopefully, T-Mobile will improve their service in more areas soon with their recent bandwidth acquisition from Verizon. Verizon has been pretty mediocre in the Silicon Valley for as long as I can remember. VZW LTE was giving me about 6 MBPS download speeds at best where I live. T-Mobile HSPA+ gives me at least 10 MBPS, and LTE is 30-40 MBPS.

Wow, not here in boston. H is less than 1 mbps. Vzw lte about 25 mbps.

Less than 1? You sure you aren't confusing edge and HSPA? Lol.

Below is a LTE screenshot then HSPA one for my area.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody Have T MOBILE LTE speed in Boston?-1389272646492.jpg   Anybody Have T MOBILE LTE speed in Boston?-1389272657667.jpg  
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I live in the Boston area, att would have to be the fastest here but tmobile is probably second and is more than enough

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody Have T MOBILE LTE speed in Boston?-uploadfromtaptalk1389272952768.jpg  

This is 2 bars, I can reach upto 60 with full bars

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody Have T MOBILE LTE speed in Boston?-uploadfromtaptalk1389273055740.jpg  
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

H is not lte. As I said at the tmobile store. the nexus had 5 bars and an H (salesgirl told me that means HSPA. Note 3 had 3 bars but LTE. I didn't try the speed of the lte because I was interested in the Nexus. i was surprised how slow H was and that the Nexus didn't have lte when the tmobile n3 did. I'll try a store in Salem, NH. I buy there to avoid tax anyway.
    She also showed me a coverage map but the map didn't say anything about lte. Is everyplace with dark green zone an lte zone? Where I live is dark green but I want lte. I don't care if I have 5 bars of H like the store.

A corporate discount plan is unlimited everything for 60 a month. Cant beat that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I've been to Boston recently and had good LTE speeds while there, but any city has its questionable areas. Maybe you were just in a bad spot.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by:
    recDNA 

H is not lte. As I said at the tmobile store. the nexus had 5 bars and an H (salesgirl told me that means HSPA. Note 3 had 3 bars but LTE. I didn't try the speed of the lte because I was interested in the Nexus. i was surprised how slow H was and that the Nexus didn't have lte when the tmobile n3 did. I'll try a store in Salem, NH. I buy there to avoid tax anyway.
    She also showed me a coverage map but the map didn't say anything about lte. Is everyplace with dark green zone an lte zone? Where I live is dark green but I want lte. I don't care if I have 5 bars of H like the store.

A corporate discount plan is unlimited everything for 60 a month. Cant beat that.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the dark green. The coverage map on T-Mobile's website is all shades of pink. The brighter the pink, the better your coverage.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    I'm not sure what you're referring to with the dark green. The coverage map on T-Mobile's website is all shades of pink. The brighter the pink, the better your coverage.
    The map at the store was shades of green.

I know H is HSPA.... Did you read my post? One screen was LTE one was HSPA......

Below is another HSPA test I have taken....

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody Have T MOBILE LTE speed in Boston?-1389294434028.jpg  
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

weird, one at store had 5 bars yet less than 1 mbps.

Here's the coverage at the mall according to user data from Sensorly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

That's where I was. Like I said the Samsungs there were on lte but the Nexus was on H . I was shocked how slow H was. Could be a defective phone or someone messed with it. I'm going to try a Nexus at a couple of other locations. For 60 bucks a month I can afford it as a toy. I won't part with my Note 3 but it would be fun to have a phone I can download roms on.

If I buy an unlocked Nexus at best buy can I just go get a sim and sign it up at tmobile?

If I buy an unlocked Nexus at best buy can I just go get a sim and sign it up at tmobile?
    You should be able to. You can also cancel with T-Mobile at any time without a penalty.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    You should be able to. You can also cancel with T-Mobile at any time without a penalty.
    Ya, that's what I like about it. If I don't like tmobile or don't like the Nexus I could sell the Nexus and shut off service. I will keep my vzw unlimited and I love my Note 3 but I miss flashing roms and customizing. I could do that with nexus.

B. Diddy likes this.