Nexus 5: Fellow Sprint users. Have you gotten Spark to work?

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Title says it all. I know Spark for Sprint is only limited to about 5 cities (6 new areas were just announced) and i'm wondering, have ANY of you gotten Spark to show up on your nexus 5? I'm in NY were 4G is pretty good but...once you walk into any kind of building its agonizing.

Last edited by a moderator:

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Fellow Sprint users. Have you gotten Spark to work?

Good luck with that your better off getting a company that actually works.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm in Atlanta where I have Sprint 4G LTE everywhere. Triband "Spark" activation is coming for us within the month and it gets even better!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Wimax 4G, 4G lte and now Spark wonder how long they'll stay with that! Lol

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Spark is Sprint's name for Triband LTE. The Nexus 5 is one of the new phones with Triband LTE capability. This capability allows much better building penetration.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Good luck with that your better off getting a company that actually works.

waiting for my past contract to be up. Considering doing T-mobiles un carrier plan when it comes to fruition but for now i would like to be able to USE my phone.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Since I have an unlocked Nexus 5 and now no contract with Sprint, I can go anywhere I please. Is there better service in Atlanta? Wherever I go I get between about 7Gb to as high as 35Gb down with Sprint LTE. Most of the time I'm in the low teens down though. I have unlimited data with no data cap which for me is very important. Am I missing something by staying with Sprint?

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Since I have an unlocked Nexus 5 and now no contract with Sprint, I can go anywhere I please. Is there better service in Atlanta? Wherever I go I get between about 7Gb to as high as 35Gb down with Sprint LTE. Most of the time I'm in the low teens down though. I have unlimited data with no data cap which for me is very important. Am I missing something by staying with Sprint?

With speeds like 35gb down no your're definitely not missing a single thing from sprint. The best i have ever gotten in NYC is roughly 17 down and that was only ONCE. Sure unlimited data is nice and all...but it might as well be capped because i barely use it. In some areas its so bad that me leaving on lte is an instant battery killer. I know many have said it and its like beating a dead horse but "why have unlimited data if its of no use to me?"

Thats why i turned to Spark in hopes it would make my time with Sprint better. However i haven't heard of a single person successful in acquiring Spark or how Spark is even "officially" allowed on the N5.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

With speeds like 35gb down no your're definitely not missing a single thing from sprint. The best i have ever gotten in NYC is roughly 17 down and that was only ONCE. Sure unlimited data is nice and all...but it might as well be capped because i barely use it. In some areas its so bad that me leaving on lte is an instant battery killer. I know many have said it and its like beating a dead horse but "why have unlimited data if its of no use to me?"

Thats why i turned to Spark in hopes it would make my time with Sprint better. However i haven't heard of a single person successful in acquiring Spark or how Spark is even "officially" allowed on the N5.

Read on a forum with people trying out spark on the N5. They were posting LTE speedtests screenshots in the 80Mbps range down and 50ish up. Don't remember where.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Gb down? You mean Mb down... You definitely aren't getting Gb down lol.

Unless you aren't talking about speed and meant usage.. Which you then mean GB.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

chris.moses

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

Just don't plan on visiting Seattle and using your phone. Service in Seattle has gotten worse and worse to the point of being very literally unusable. "Good" download speeds are in the 200K range if you can get to a network at all. Battery life is terrible on whatever device you have because your phone spends 10-40% of the day without any signal. One of the best things about my N5 is that I was able to ditch Sprint and their ****ty network and have a phone that WORKS! I'm on AiO now, and even with their 8MB data rate limit it's an absolute revelation after the last few years with Sprint. It really is that bad here. A coworker's brother visited recently from San Diego and (I'm not making this up) he had to buy a cheap prepaid phone from another carrier for the two weeks he was up here because he couldn't make a call anywhere he went.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm outside of Ft Lauderdale, but I was seeing Spark before this announcement on their store phones. Was getting decent speed, although not officially supposed to get it. Got 30-40 down in West Palm on just LTE.

Edit: Just coincidently noticed, I got the 13th post, at 13:13 military time. Creepy haha
Edit edit: Half Life 3 confirmed?

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Nope and won't until Sprint does it (if they do). I'm not messing settings that affect the baseband. Would be nice to get those speeds, but for now, I'm OK without it.

I believe you did adjust the apn's right? What's results are you seeing? If you haven't, then I apologize in advance. Might be another user I recall changing the settings.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Gb down? You mean Mb down... You definitely aren't getting Gb down lol.

Unless you aren't talking about speed and meant usage.. Which you then mean GB.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Yes, Mb down. Thanks for catching that. And the 35Mb down happened only once and I was right beside the tower. 7 to 15 Mb is what I usually see. Since 3Mb+ is what is required to stream video, it's more than adequate speed.

Last edited:

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Nope and won't until Sprint does it (if they do). I'm not messing settings that affect the baseband. Would be nice to get those speeds, but for now, I'm OK without it.

I believe you did adjust the apn's right? What's results are you seeing? If you haven't, then I apologize in advance. Might be another user I recall changing the settings.

I played around with the lte bands but thats about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm outside of Ft Lauderdale, but I was seeing Spark before this announcement on their store phones. Was getting decent speed, although not officially supposed to get it. Got 30-40 down in West Palm on just LTE.

Edit: Just coincidently noticed, I got the 13th post, at 13:13 military time. Creepy haha
Edit edit: Half Life 3 confirmed?

What did you do to get spark to show-up? I read on some forums all you needed to do was change the bands, but i also read in other places that we needed google and sprint to send an update in order for you to start picking it up.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I've not done anything to my settings. I'm straight stock here in Atlanta. I don't need to do anything else to get good speed.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I've not done anything to my settings. I'm straight stock here in Atlanta. I don't need to do anything else to get good speed.

Sorry, I was referring to Brian Low. Should have clarified :) Good to see you are getting a good connection in Atlanta though.

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

If you turn off Sprint Optimizer it should improve your battery life it'll prevent it from trying to search for a better signal when you're in a 3g area.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

If you turn off Sprint Optimizer it should improve your battery life it'll prevent it from trying to search for a better signal when you're in a 3g area.

No problems with battery life. My N5 actually handles low signal pretty well. And if i recall, the N5 doesnt have sprint optimizer in it. No bloatware

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys86