Who's Using the Nexus 5 to Cover CES?

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious to find out if any of the tech journalists who are covering CES use the Nexus 5 as their daily driver during the convention. In my opinion, CES is a challenging environment for any smartphone for the following reasons:

1. There are many press conferences and presentations during the day, so a smartphone with a long battery life is important.

2. The lighting condition appears to be very dark, so you'll need something that can take good low-light photos.

3. There are many smartphone users in a relatively small area, so all the cell towers will be congested. Getting a good signal will be tough.

Of course, journalists will often resort to other devices to get the job done. For example, you can bring an external battery pack to top off your power. I'm guessing almost everyone will be bringing a DSLR to take photos, so you don't need to rely on your smartphone's camera. As for a wireless signal, you can probably bring a dedicated hot spot (like a MiFi) to help.

Still, I would like to hear if the Nexus 5 is the smartphone of choice to cover CES. If it's not, I'd like to know what people are actually using.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I believe Deiter Bohn from The Verge is using a Nexus 5, but, as with many others, has a portable battery as well as multiple devices to switch to if needed. I've heard/seen some are using a Moto X, HTC One, and of course some are using iPhones (seen some with a Mophie).

I'm not sure what you're looking to get from them, but as you already mentioned, people will need battery packs to top off, depend on MiFi's for more reliable connectivity for laptops, and have dedicated cameras for imaging.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, having a solution such as a battery pack to charge on the go is needed for an event like this. I could see a lot of people using the Moto X over the Nexus 5 simply for the battery life. However, everyone is likely using what they feel comfortable with to get the content out as quickly and efficiently as they can.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're looking to get from them, but as you already mentioned, people will need battery packs to top off, depend on MiFi's for more reliable connectivity for laptops, and have dedicated cameras for imaging.

CES is tough on phones. I'm just curious to see what people are using. If it's the Nexus 5, that would be impressive. I'm also guessing that a Droid Maxx or a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 would also be good for covering the convention. Those two phones probably don't need an external battery pack for all-day use.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
CES is tough on phones. I'm just curious to see what people are using. If it's the Nexus 5, that would be impressive. I'm also guessing that a Droid Maxx or a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 would also be good for covering the convention. Those two phones probably don't need an external battery pack for all-day use.

Ah gotcha. CES wasn't bad on my phone last year, but I wasn't a reporter or exhibitor or anything haha =P

I feel like a Note 3 would have been a bit too bulky to use as a primary device for CES, but a Maxx I would understand, with battery life and solid reception. It's just not a terribly popular phone among journalists, I feel like. Seems like they are more willing to top off throughout the day with a phone they like, as srkmagnus mentioned.

I wish more sites did a short article on the gear they brought. I would be interested in the cameras they're using as well, as some videos showed a lot of Sony's new-ish stuff over full-fledged DSLRs.

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, CES is a challenging environment for any smartphone for the following reasons:

3. There are many smartphone users in a relatively small area, so all the cell towers will be congested. Getting a good signal will be tough.

good point, the major carriers probably have never had to plan for, much less build, portable cell sites for increased reliability and service at premier showcase events.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay