Smart phone to use in the U.S. and Italy

spetho2001

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I am interested in purchasing a quad-band, GSM, unlocked smart phone that I can use in the United States and Italy. I would like to use it in the U.S. with a U.S. SIM and then when I go to Italy I want to remove the U.S. SIM and replace with an Italian SIM so that I have an Italian phone number while in Italy and a U.S. phone number while in the U.S.. I do not need to call back to the U.S. from Italy. I am a little confused about the 4G/LTE. Do I need a phone that works with HSDPA+/ 4GLTE to work in the U.S. and Italy? Where do I purchase the SIM cards in both the U.S. and Italy? At any phone carrier's store? I realize the phone will not work with Verizon (CDMA). Am I correct and do you see anything wrong with my plan? I am considering either the Google Nexus 5 or the Samsung S-4 Mini (dual SIM). Does anyone have any suggestions? How does everyone like the Nexus5?
Thank you,
TomS

palandri

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
I go to France a couple of times each year. The Nexus 5 is unbranded and unlocked and would be perfect for you going over to Italy. You'll get 3G and 3G+ in Italy. You won't get LTE in Italy, but the 3G and 3G+ will be plenty fast.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have used my US-based Nexus 4 in Italy with a local TIM card; no problems at all. I see no reason why it wouldn't work as well or better with my current Nexus 5.

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
In the US, just walk into any cell phone shop, or many stores for that matter, and buy a pre-paid SIM. You can do the same in Italy. Dual SIM is cool, because you could use both simultaneously, which might make it more convenient. Keep in mind you'd have to get an unlocked one and check which bands the Galaxy comes with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38